WEBP not supported filetype

I tried to upload a new profile picture and it appears that .webp is not supported. Considering .webp completely obsolesces .jpeg in every way except for backcompat, I think it's a very small but necessary feature addition.

10 hours ago, Joseph K said:

I tried to upload a new profile picture and it appears that .webp is not supported. Considering .webp completely obsolesces .jpeg in every way except for backcompat, I think it's a very small but necessary feature addition.

Yawn ... 

WEBP 's benefit is more quality for less disk space, that's about it. If you take "disk space" out of the equation, you could simply upload PNG files instead of JPG files and get lossless quality, even better quality than WEBP.

Also, Apple now uses HEIC ... which are images encoded with HEVC / h265 codec... we end up with each big company making up their own image format.

Hopefully there's browser versions which run on windows 7 and can decode these image formats. Not expecting Windows XP but Windows 7 is still used by a large percentage of people.

I guess i don't care or mind if webp support is added, or even heic or whatever apple's file format is ... but there's really no need to add support for 20 standards.

6 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

It's possibly gonna be fixed/added in the next update.

The giphy issue will be, support for uploading webp will not.

WebpP isn't supported on current versions of Safari (caniuse), and we don't have the ability to encode an image into multiple formats and serve it conditionally, so we don't really have a choice about displaying webp images at the moment (noting that it includes all browsers on iOS). Safari will be adding support in the next version though, and once that's rolled out it will make more sense for us to support it.

Rolling it out will also either require changes to the forum software or a custom modification. I'm not sure how feasible it is as a custom modification though, and the latest beta release doesn't support it, so it's probably not going to make it into the core software for at least 18 months based on my projection of their release cadence.

In short, maybe one day, but not today.

HTTP/2 203

12 hours ago, Joseph K said:

Don't bother. The entire purpose of webp is for side-stepping problems with gif's animation. That is it. 

Any gain in space comes at a loss in colorspace in lossy mode. So no, it's worse than Jpeg.