Elgato 4K60 PRO taking load off GPU for encoding?

TastyGuava

One of my favorite vloggers mentioned in a video how he uses a Elgato 4K60 PRO capture card that slots on to your motherboard to take a load off the GPU (him have a 2080 TI but gaming on a 4K monitor and two other high res monitors) since is GPU is always taxxed out. However I've never heard of doing this on a single monitor setup and wanted to know if this is even possible since I've never seen anyone do this and to my knowledge there's no benefit of putting it in a system without having a second system dedicated to streaming?

There isn't a whole lot of benefit to using a capture card at all, that I'm aware of, if you only have a single system.

When I stream, I usually end up needing to encode on my GPU and hoping for the best with multithreaded games. It's gotten better since I made the upgrade to a 1070, but it's not perfect. With more basic games, I can encode on my CPU and be completely fine.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There isn't a whole lot of benefit to using a capture card at all, that I'm aware of, if you only have a single system.

When I stream, I usually end up needing to encode on my GPU and hoping for the best with multithreaded games. It's gotten better since I made the upgrade to a 1070, but it's not perfect. With more basic games, I can encode on my CPU and be completely fine.

With you saying there isn't a whole lot, how much benefit is there? From the video I thought of this quesiton from, he stated it helped with his GPU not being at 100%?

5 minutes ago, TastyGuava said:

With you saying there isn't a whole lot, how much benefit is there? From the video I thought of this quesiton from, he stated it helped with his GPU not being at 100%?

No really any benefit on my 1080ti, maybe it is different on rtx cards, but they all should have dedicated hardware vvideo encoders and decoders. So recording the video with nvec codec shouldn't affect your gameplay, as it uses a different part of the graphics card.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Its a capture card, not an encoder. Doesn't take load off anything unless you are having something else do it. Also the encoder isn't putting load on the card. Use the gpu unless you have a much better cpu that can spare the power.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz