Confused about R3 3100 compatability with b450 boards

So I decided to get a R3 3100, which is cheap yet powerful enough for my purpouses. But I'm having a hard time understanding the compatability with b450 boards.

If I find that the mobo supports the r3 3100 cpu, does it still need an update and if so do i need to get an older cpu to update the bios or can i just use the r3 3100? This especially when the cpu compatability list states that the supported bios version is P3.20 (Asrock B450M Steel Legend). Or are there B450 mobo's that you can update without a worry of not having a cpu to just update the bios?

after a BIOS update - it works fine.

Some boards come updated out of the box while older ones (produced before the 3100 was a thing) do not. Just ask the store to update it for you - most stores do it for free.

The latest batches of some B450 boards will come with a recent enough BIOS revision preinstalled to run Ryzen 3000, though this is not guaranteed. You'll have to ask the retailer or check the box for a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" sticker.

That being said, MSI's "Max" B450 boards are guaranteed to work with Ryzen 3000 right out of the box (B450-A Pro Max, B450 Gaming Plus Max, B450M Mortar Max, B450 Tomahawk Max, and some cheaper, lesser boards).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Most b450 boards if they were manufactured recently will most likely have the new bios 

The max boards from msi guarantee zen 2 support like what @Mateyyy 

Or look for the sticker on the box that says ryzen 3000 ready 

If you got a board that shipped with the old bios just ask the vendor / computer store to update for you.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I cannot confirm if there are B450 boards with this feature but some motherboards can perform BIOS updates without a CPU installed.

Depending on how long the board has been released there's a fair chance it will come with near or the latest BIOS but the chance exists you could end up with a board that needs the update to support the CPU. In this case you'll need a 1XXX, 2XXX series CPU to do it.

You would have to be careful though not to use a older CPU that's having it's support dropped.

AMD also offers what I believe are free upgrade kits. Though you'll be waiting extra days for that to show up if you decide to go that route.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I cannot confirm if there are B450 boards with this feature but some motherboards can perform BIOS updates without a CPU installed.

Only MSI has BIOS Flashback when it comes to B450, and they're also the only ones who have boards guaranteed to work with Zen 2, so...

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Only MSI has BIOS flashback when it comes to B450, and they're also the only ones who have boards guaranteed to work with Zen 2, so...

OP can consider an MSI board then if he feels inclined. I've not had trouble with them in the past.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

OP can consider an MSI board then if he feels inclined. I've not had trouble with them in the past.

Built a system a few months back with a B450 Mortar Max and a 3600X and it's been rock solid ever since. Their offerings are about as good as they get for B450.

49 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Built a system a few months back with a B450 Mortar Max and a 3600X and it's been rock solid ever since. Their offerings are about as good as they get for B450.

I have an old X99A SLI PLUS. It's been VERY stable pushing a 4.5GHz overclock @ 1.325V Vcore. Good CPU VRMs.