What type of drive I should put on my computer?

austind903

Hello,

I just built my computer and I got 1tb nvme sabrent rocket. It is my boot drive and Stores my software applications. I’m downloading a lot of software in that drive. I don’t have any data (except download data for my software) but I am starting to put data on my computer but I was thinking of getting another hard drive since I would not like to waste my nvme drive for data like photos, my edited videos and documents. I edit sometimes, usually 4k 60FPS. I was thinking of getting another hard drive. I was thinking either HDD, SSD or another nvme. I was thinking another nvme because I would like my video editing importing fast. But some people told me to get an HDD for my data to store because it’s cheaper and apparently in case if the drive fails it is possible to get the data back. But I don’t know if that effects the importing speed for video editing. Like if I use Davinci resolve (stores in my nvme) but import the video in my other hard drive (ex. HDD) would it effect the speed? Please help!!

how much space do you need?

Get backups so you don't lose data, don't rely on recovery.

Only the drive the data is on affects its speed, other drives won't make a difference, so if you copy a video to a ssd if will import much faster than if you copied it to a hard drive.

if you truly want snappy speeds an SSD is the way to go, prices are down and they are getting better storage per $ every year. However, a HDD is always great since they are large, reliable, and super cheap. If you are looking to keep your old videos in a "cold storage" state for long term HDD is better in my opinion. I run a 500gb NVME M.2 for my OS and most recent projects. Anything that i have not touched in over a week or two i store on a 2tb HDD. works great for me. 

11 hours ago, Hillmdog said:

if you truly want snappy speeds an SSD is the way to go, prices are down and they are getting better storage per $ every year. However, a HDD is always great since they are large, reliable, and super cheap. If you are looking to keep your old videos in a "cold storage" state for long term HDD is better in my opinion. I run a 500gb NVME M.2 for my OS and most recent projects. Anything that i have not touched in over a week or two i store on a 2tb HDD. works great for me. 

So you’re saying an SSD is better option. I was thinking installing another m.2. Or is that a bad idea and better off getting a regular SATA SSD like you said.

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how much space do you need?

Get backups so you don't lose data, don't rely on recovery.

Only the drive the data is on affects its speed, other drives won't make a difference, so if you copy a video to a ssd if will import much faster than if you copied it to a hard drive.

I haven’t planned that yet but probably around 2 or 3 tb and I am backing up data from my NAS server (8tb)

You don't must ask how many drives do you need. Just buy next one when you need more space.

9 hours ago, austind903 said:

I haven’t planned that yet but probably around 2 or 3 tb and I am backing up data from my NAS server (8tb)

If you got the money, might as well get a 2tb or 4tb nvme drive. Get a hdd if you don't wnt to spend as much.

20 hours ago, austind903 said:

So you’re saying an SSD is better option. I was thinking installing another m.2. Or is that a bad idea and better off getting a regular SATA SSD like you said.

either is fine, M.2 will just have slightly better speeds with a higher price tag.