Docking an older Macbook Air (2017 model, no USB-C)

pythonmegapixel

My father has a MacBook Air  and wants to be able to connect one cable and have his external monitor and various USB peripherals connect automatically as well as Ethernet. The laptop is from before they had USB-C ports (which means that a USB-C dock is useless unless it works through a USB-C to USB-A adaptor) so we need something that works over USB-A or Thunderbolt 2.

We need something inexpensive.

Charging need not nessecarily be included, the magsafe connector can be plugged in separately

I've looked on Amazon but can only find USB C docks, not Thunderbolt 2 or USB-A.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Well thunderbolt is your only option. Thunderbolt 3 docks will work but well they aint cheap.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well thunderbolt is your only option. Thunderbolt 3 docks will work but well they aint cheap.

No they won't, it only has a Thunderbolt 2 connector

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

No they won't, it only has a Thunderbolt 2 connector

They will thunderbolt is forwards and backwards compatible. All you would need is an adapter if it's usb c thunderbolt 3 docks that converts the thunderbolt 2 port to thunderbolt 3 usb if needed. Apple even sells those adapters.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about ports.  Apple doesn’t like to admit that they have models but they have them.  There is either a code number or a name which often includes a date of release “fall2015” “late2016” or some such  If we know the actual model it can be looked up online and a lot of confusion would disappear.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about ports.  Apple doesn’t like to admit that they have models but they have them.  There is either a code number or a name which often includes a date of release “fall2015” “late2016” or some such  If we know the actual model it can be looked up online and a lot of confusion would disappear.

It's a 2017 model

pythonmegapixel

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what ports do you need the docking connector to have?

As I said in my original post: Ethernet, something which outputs a display signal (either HDMI or VGA), and USB.

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It's a 2017 model

So this one?

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?locale=en_US

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Yes, exactly

pythonmegapixel

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

As I said in my original post: Ethernet, something which outputs a display signal (either HDMI or VGA), and USB.

how many usb?

Do you relly need one connector? Id just use the usb on board, or a hub, a display port to hdmi, and a usb to ethernet adapter

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Yes, exactly

Cool.  Now people have something to look at.

Thunderbolt2 wasn’t super popular.  1 was and 3 is, but 2 wasn’t.  You may be reduced to actual apple gear which is never cheap.

how many usb?

Minimum 3 but really don't care

Do you relly need one connector? Id just use the usb on board, or a hub, a display port to hdmi, and a usb to ethernet adapter

I think you're missing the point slightly. He does video conferences at his desk setup but also needs to take his laptop with him a lot. Basically he would have to unplug his microphone, his webcam, his external monitor and his ethernet every time he wanted to leave the room which is a nuisance.

I'm well aware he doesn't need this - it's just a convenience benefit.

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Thunderbolt2 wasn’t super popular.  1 was and 3 is, but 2 wasn’t.  You may be reduced to actual apple gear which is never cheap.

Apple doesn't even sell this stuff anymore. The only Thunderbolt adapters they have other than Thunderbolt 3 is to obsolete standards, namely VGA and FireWire.

Frankly I think it's utterly stupid that it's now impossible to find a accessories for one of the most popular premium laptops from just 3 years ago. I know we're headed to USB-C being the standard for everything and that's good, but there's no point in enouraging people to throw away perfectly good laptops.

pythonmegapixel

13 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Apple doesn't even sell this stuff anymore. The only Thunderbolt adapters they have other than Thunderbolt 3 is to obsolete standards, namely VGA and FireWire.

Frankly I think it's utterly stupid that it's now impossible to find a accessories for one of the most popular premium laptops from just 3 years ago. I know we're headed to USB-C being the standard for everything and that's good, but there's no point in enouraging people to throw away perfectly good laptops.

If things don’t sell thy don’t get made.

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Minimum 3 but really don't care

I think you're missing the point slightly. He does video conferences at his desk setup but also needs to take his laptop with him a lot. Basically he would have to unplug his microphone, his webcam, his external monitor and his ethernet every time he wanted to leave the room which is a nuisance.

I'm well aware he doesn't need this - it's just a convenience benefit.

Your gonn need 2 connectors any ways, why not mke it 3 and add  a usb hub andplug the mic, and headphones and ethernet in that.

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your gonn need 2 connectors any ways, why not mke it 3 and add  a usb hub andplug the mic, and headphones and ethernet in that.

I am attempting to work out if a product exists which fits my needs. The answer appears to be no, and that is fine.

I don't really want people to argue with what I need. Particularly on this thread, since I'm buying for someone else and I can't readily check.

pythonmegapixel

8 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I am attempting to work out if a product exists which fits my needs. The answer appears to be no, and that is fine.

I don't really want people to argue with what I need. Particularly on this thread, since I'm buying for someone else and I can't readily check.

I have a macbook air like tht one, and have used it docked many time, using the extra usb cable is the best solution by far. THen use. usb hub.

You can get a dock like this https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Thunderbolt-Dock-Ethernet-aluminum/dp/B00PAPMSLE

but thats eol, and about 250 usd. Thunderbolt 2 never got as populara so accessories re much harder to find.