Monitor Recommendations

Nick980

I'm looking to potentially change my monitor in the next few months, I currently use a LG 27UD68P (4k, 60hz,  IPS, Freesync, 10 bit (8bit + A-FRC). The image in amazing and colours look great but I have issues with the screen occasionally flickering in random spots and running 4k60 is beyond my gpu (Vega 64) in most games, so I end up running them at 1440p.

Things I'm looking for

Must have;

10 bit colour (8bit+A-FRC)

1440p

High refresh rate, 120hz or higher

Freesync

VESA mount

Would like

HDR 600 (not sure if HDR600 is worth it, know HDR400 isn't)

Gsync compatible

Currently I am torn between the LG 27GL850 and the Samsung CHG70 27. The LG overall looks like an amazing monitor but lacks any HDR features and being IPS contrast isn't amazing, the Samsung has HDR 600 and is a VA panel so contrast should be much better but apparently suffers from ghosting when running around 60fps which would be a problem for games like Assassins Creed Odyssey. Also not sure about the curve on the Samsung.

So does anyone have any recommendations on the two I've listed or potentially other monitors to consider? I'm looking to keep the budget below £500, ideally below £400. Or do I keep the current monitor and wait to see what the next generation of GPU's can do with 4k?

The LG 27GL850-B is the better choice in most cases. The only real problem is the bad contrast with <1000:1. I'd not think about HDR in any of these monitors as no monitor under 2000$ can really display any HDR at all. I'd even go as far as saying HDR600 is not really much better than HDR400 (which is useless because non HDR monitors can get this easily). Maybe I'd wait to see how the new Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9 do. They are completely new to the market and the first 1440p 240Hz panels. As they are VA they can actually have a decent contrast ratio and maybe even display somewhat decent HDR because of local dimming, which is missing in 99% of HDR400 and HDR600 monitors.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The LG 27GL850-B is the better choice in most cases. The only real problem is the bad contrast with <1000:1. I'd not think about HDR in any of these monitors as no monitor under 2000$ can really display any HDR at all. I'd even go as far as saying HDR600 is not really much better than HDR400 (which is useless because non HDR monitors can get this easily). Maybe I'd wait to see how the new Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9 do. They are completely new to the market and the first 1440p 240Hz panels. As they are VA they can actually have a decent contrast ratio and maybe even display somewhat decent HDR because of local dimming, which is missing in 99% of HDR400 and HDR600 monitors.

I was wondering about the G7 but have a feeling the price will be rather high given the feature set.

1 hour ago, Nick980 said:

I was wondering about the G7 but have a feeling the price will be rather high given the feature set.

I'd just wait for a detailed review from LTT or Hardware Unboxed. Maybe it will be more expensive than the 27LG850 any maybe it will be worth it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, Nick980 said:

Not sure if you'v already seen but Linus has a unbox/first impressions of the G7 and G9 up.  They are also doing a full review at some point on the LTT channel and rtings.com is going to be doing a review (they already have the monitor purchased I believe).  So if that is within your budget it is going to be getting a lot of reviews here soon.

G7: 

G9: 

Prices from Samsung website (USD): G7 27" - 699.99$, G7 32" - 799.99$, G9 1699.99$

website: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/32--odyssey-g7-gaming-monitor-lc32g75tqsnxza/

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, X570 ASUS Prime Pro, 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz CL16,

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27" 1080P @ 280hz and LG CX 4k tv

Hopes and Dreams: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 and Ryzen 9 5950x

On 7/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, stewarjr said:

Not sure if you'v already seen but Linus has a unbox/first impressions of the G7 and G9 up.  They are also doing a full review at some point on the LTT channel and rtings.com is going to be doing a review (they already have the monitor purchased I believe).  So if that is within your budget it is going to be getting a lot of reviews here soon.

G7: 

G9: 

Prices from Samsung website (USD): G7 27" - 699.99$, G7 32" - 799.99$, G9 1699.99$

website: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/32--odyssey-g7-gaming-monitor-lc32g75tqsnxza/

Thank eagerly awaiting the reviews, the lg 27gl950 should be launching soon as well. So many options