1800 photoshop + Linux gaming; fill in the gaps

Budget (including currency): $1800 USD plus change

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: adobe photoshop, Lightroom (photography student), plus Linux steam gaming (hobby)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I’m a digital photography student now, just sold my iMac 27 inch 5k for 1700 and I have some extra cash so about 1800-2000 is my budget.

ive currently purchased:

ryzen 5 3600 (w plans to upgrade to 4000 series end of year)

Rtx 5700 xt 8 gb

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Fractal Design Focus G Mystic Red ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

500gb nvme ssd

- - -

my biggest issue right now is finding a b550 motherboard, figuring out a good PSU and deciding on a good 4K monitor that won’t break the bank.

You are aware that linux does not run any adobe product and the one way to do it no longer works right?

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You are aware that linux does not run any adobe product and the one way to do it no longer works right?

I should have clarified, I have two ssds, one running Windows for adobe and the other running Linux for gaming. Dual boot :)

1 minute ago, rg4video said:

I should have clarified, I have two ssds, one running Windows for adobe and the other running Linux for gaming. Dual boot :)

Oh alrighty. Both nvme or 1 nvme 1 sata? Kinda need to know to find compatible stuff.

18 minutes ago, rg4video said:

photography student

As a professional photographer, allow me to give you some advice:

Ensure you get a high quality monitor and a colour calibrator, especially if you are going to try to make photography a profession down the road.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Are you referring to WINE, or in a VM? Because my CS5 collection works just fine in either way.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Are you referring to WINE, or in a VM? Because my CS5 collection works just fine in either way.

Up to cs6 is fine but I assume that most people don't have access anymore to that thanks to adobe sending a crapload of killcodes.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Up to cs6 is fine but I assume that most people don't have access anymore to that thanks to adobe sending a crapload of killcodes.

Yeah Adobe sucks, the 1st thing I did after installing CS5, is to firewall it off and if I need to (and I haven't yet, but who knows in the future) I'll patch it manually, IF I can find the patches. Adobe is doing their level best to hide anything not related to their pay as you go versions.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah Adobe sucks, the 1st thing I did after installing CS5, is to firewall it off and if I need to (and I haven't yet, but who knows in the future) I'll patch it manually, IF I can find the patches. Adobe is doing their level best to hide anything not related to their pay as you go versions.

This is where to youtube hackerman kids come in :p. When in doubt trust the free background music notepad kids :p.

I am sorry for not providing enough details. I was on mobile trying to explain things, never easy.

Started photography major a semester ago. Used iMac. Loved it. New semester this fall ,required to use Adobe. I hate adobe and don’t want it plaguing my mac. So i sold iMac, made 1700. Trying to build a hybrid Linux gamin (for steam, not all of my steam games ran on mac) and windows 10 pc for adobe photoshop to run on. I do plan to buy a MacBook Pro later this year so i can retain the macOS experience, but school will be on windows.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZWwRmg

My specific questions:

B450 and B550 are basically out of stock. I am willing to wait, but i do not want to wait more than this week if possible, as I’d like to have my parts shipped and built and running smoothly before august. I prefer AMD, so now the question is, do I strategically find a board generation that is still in stock and can handle my needs without breaking the bank NOW, or is it worth the wait?

I purchased my tower last night, and I’m excited for it. I measured and GPU will fit, etc. I am wondering the most efficient fan setup to ensure my CPU and GPU are properly cooled, as well as my SSD if neede.

Spreading of SSDs, i bought two of them and am not sure which is “better”. 

WD_Black SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS500G3X0C

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S500B/AM)

I am not sure, but i think i will run windows 10 with photoshop on the nvme, and Linux on my SATA ssd i already have. Unless photoshop will use the speed of the cpu more, then i might put Linux on it instead. IDK yet.

PSUs are hard for me. Too many named brands that are recommended. I want to aim for 650-750 and a rating of bronze or gold. But due to market issues there aren’t a lot availabile. Any suggestions on brands? I want to avoid brand loyalty.

I’m willing to invest between 300-600 for now in a good enough photography monitor that can bonus game well. My professions suggested NEC brand, while apple sells a dell/lg variant. I mention this because i wanted to use my MacBook Pro to hook up to the same monitor in the future (if it allows) so i can use windows some days and mac others.

I’ll update with further questions and i hope this gives a good start