Can I use a mining card for all around performance?

ICrann

Hello,

I was thinking of getting mining card on ebay because of the huge price difference. I am not planning on playing high graphic games more farming simulator 15 and Sims 2 which both work on my €150 laptop. But I mainly use my computer as a workstation for programming and developing software. I was wondering if a mining card would boost the speed of my system without having to install any dodgy third party drivers for gaming.

One of the listings I was looking at was this one They say in the description that they can provide drivers if your gamming on it but I don't want to have to do that.

Thank you in advance for help.

In short, no.

Mining Cards are a very specific application of a GPU to be used for, as you can surmise, mining cryptocurrency (or, more specifically, performing a series of complex mathematical computations to advance publicly held ledger data).  This is an extremely narrow use case, and in order to gain processor benefits for the rest of your system, you would need to have applications (and corresponding drivers) that specifically take advantage of GPUs for computational purposes.  By default, games and pretty much every other application on your system won't benefit from the power of a mining GPU.

There are certainly some nuances to this answer, including possible workarounds (many, but not all, convoluted).  While Mining GPUs are inexpensive, by and large it's also because they have a very specific workload associated with their capacities.

I don't know much about it, but what I do know is

You need a iGPU

You need a modified Driver

I don't believe it has nvenc or cuda support.

If something changes in Windows, where you need a new driver, it may not be possible in the future to upgrade your driver if NVIDIA blocks the workaround rendering your card useless for anything but mining.

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Nah, see the thing with a mining card is their drivers are locked down by Nvidia to only do mining, which means that you basically will have to be installing dodgy drivers regardless of what you plan to do with it, unless you want to lose money mining with it. LTT has a great video on the subject, if you wish.

I already checked it out but that was more aimed towards gaming

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I don't know much about it, but what I do know is

You need a iGPU

You need a modified Driver

I don't believe it has nvenc or cuda support.

If something changes in Windows, where you need a new driver, it may not be possible in the future to upgrade your driver if NVIDIA blocks the workaround.

The CPU I am planning on has integrated graphics

12 minutes ago, ICrann said:

was wondering if a mining card would boost the speed of my system without having to install any dodgy third party drivers for gaming

Mining cards are not even used to display an image 

Some mining specific models don't even come with a display output, and it has a mining firmware. If you  can't find the non mining equivalent card for around the same price 

Go for it as a fun project if you want, but you will need some time and effort.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Depends on the exact GPU you're talking about. Nvidia mining cards can be used for stuff like machine learning (i.e. secondary processor) only. It supports CUDA like the standard card, but there's no video output making them unsuitable as the main graphics card.

As for AMD, their "mining cards" are just normal cards with 1 or none display outputs. If there is a display out, you can use it just like a normal gaming card.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

What application are you looking to improve performance in? If it's not a gaming-like load and also not CUDA, it's unlikely your graphics card will matter at all.

He said gaming.

There are solutions to make it work but you do have to do "dodgy driver hacls". 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2