Lenovo T570 mystery slot?

Go to solution Solved by Juju462,

Thanks everyone for the insight!  I was able to find this on Lenovo's forums. So if anyone else was wondering yes it's possible and no there is no bios lock....at least according to this forum on Lenovo's site.  lol

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T570-add-M-2-SSD/m-p/3914022?page=1#3915200

Can anyone help me identify what this slot is for?  I'm REALLY hoping it's for a 2242 nvme drive....but lining up a 2280 nvme drive the contact points dont fit....I was thinking it also may be for an M.2 SSD but I dont see a second notch for the SSD key to fit. Amy insight would be appreciated!

20200705_111721~2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

Can anyone help me identify what this slot is for?  I'm REALLY hoping it's for a 2242 nvme drive....but lining up a 2280 nvme drive the contact points dont fit....I was thinking it also may be for an M.2 SSD but I dont see a second notch for the SSD key to fit. Amy insight would be appreciated!

20200705_111721~2.jpg

m.2 Wi-Fi card slot... that would also explain the two leads.

Or is the card to the left of it for Wi-Fi...?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

I'd guess the original intent would be for a 3/4G card, so you can use that SIM slot ;)

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Or is the card to the left of it for Wi-Fi...?

The card on the left is a wifi card

Could be it only works for sata m.2. I have a hard time believing it comes with 2 slots for wifi. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

5 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

It's a Mini PCIe. Meant for a mobile network card for mobile internet access - see the SIM slot near the battery? However, you could put almost any other mini-PCIe card there.

4 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

It's a Mini PCIe. Meant for a mobile network card for mobile internet access - see the SIM slot near the battery? However, you could put almost any other mini-PCIe card there.

Sadly you most likely cant, almost every lenovo laptop I had my hands on had whitelisted bioses. But you are correct about the socket, it is MPCIE.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Sadly you most likely cant, almost every lenovo laptop I had my hands on had whitelisted bioses. But you are correct about the socket, it is MPCIE.

ah yes, I forgot the modern ones have stupid whitelisting (like the Acer plug-in GPUs...). Still, having a built-in mobile data option is nice.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

So this means a SATA M.2 wouldnt work?

7 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

So would a SATA M.2 work out?

I'd like to use that as a boot drive and have a bigger HDD as storage...

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I did find this after some research and it gives me some hope that what I'm aiming for will work out...any thoughts after watching this will be appreciated 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid100767

Just now, Juju462 said:

So would a SATA M.2 work out?

I'd like to use that as a boot drive and have a bigger HDD as storage...

No. There are some mPCIe storage devices, but not very common - and as @Levent mentioned, they are likely blocked in BIOS. Only way to really know is if you had a spare mPCIe device to try - not worth buying anything to test it though.

13 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Could be it only works for sata m.2. I have a hard time believing it comes with 2 slots for wifi. 

I really hope that's what its for

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

No. There are some mPCIe storage devices, but not very common - and as @Levent mentioned, they are likely blocked in BIOS. Only way to really know is if you had a spare mPCIe device to try - not worth buying anything to test it though.

Even with the info from the video I just posted?

Just now, Juju462 said:

Even with the info from the video I just posted?

That was not related to that slot - it was about putting an M.2 in the 2.5" drive bay?

3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

So if SATA M.2 runs on mPCIe what standard does an NVME M.2 use...because it's not fitting in this slot

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

That was not related to that slot - it was about putting an M.2 in the 2.5" drive bay?

Keep watching ...he drops a SATA M.2 in the slot I was asking about...next to the wifi card

3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Timestamp 3:55

5 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

Timestamp 3:55

Looks like maybe they don't have a whitelist then? You're right, that is the slot - might be worth a go? The second notch just means it's a SATA/AHCI device, instead of nvme. Beware that there may still be a whitelist in place - he may be using an "approved" SATA card from Lenovo?

I think that's an A key m.2, as mentioned it's for 4G cards. I think the A key means it has embedded USB as opposed to embedded SATA.

32 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I think that's an A key m.2, as mentioned it's for 4G cards. I think the A key means it has embedded USB as opposed to embedded SATA.

The official Lenovo video does show fitting storage there though, so at the very least, a Lenovo-supplied card would work.

Thanks everyone for the insight!  I was able to find this on Lenovo's forums. So if anyone else was wondering yes it's possible and no there is no bios lock....at least according to this forum on Lenovo's site.  lol

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T570-add-M-2-SSD/m-p/3914022?page=1#3915200

13 hours ago, Juju462 said:

That's great, thanks for adding that - maybe mark that as the "best answer" so others can skip our ramblings? ;)