Packet Loss, What do they affect?

lawful73

Hello, I'm having some Packet Loss, and I would please like to know if they can affect files (photos / videos quality) that I upload to the cloud? or what they affect.

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, lawful73 said:

Hello, I'm having some Packet Loss, and I would please like to know if they can affect files (photos / videos quality) that I upload to the cloud? or what they affect.

Thank you.

Packet loss affects speed because lost packets need to be resent. Actual missing packets could affect anything

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Packet losses are the worst affected when transferring audio/video call packets as it could cause a more of a disturbance on call. In regards to video or picture quality, doesn’t affect it at all as any lost packets are resent unless you are taking about very high packet loses, where you could notice decrease in speed, unresponsive uploads etc.

Think of packet loss as when an extremely brief power surge/outage happens. Suddenly everything is alright then you notice your lights flicker and your speakers turn off. If it lasts for around a second it can even turn off devices and generally is not a good experience.

If you are simply uploading files to the cloud (service like Google Drive, Photobucket, or Dropbox), most of them are smart enough and have mechanisms that would re-transmit the "packet that was lost" though you would notice it may take longer to send the file by a bit (depending on how much packet loss there is).

If we are dealing with calls/ video calls, you would notice some choppiness, pixelated videos, loss of audio, loss of video, or similar issues. It all depends on the application you are using.

Packet loss can be caused by a bad network card, a poor wireless connection (far distance or interference like microwaves or elevators), modem issues, or even ISP (Internet service provider) issues.

Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, TigerBoy said:

Think of packet loss as when an extremely brief power surge/outage happens. Suddenly everything is alright then you notice your lights flicker and your speakers turn off. If it lasts for around a second it can even turn off devices and generally is not a good experience.

If you are simply uploading files to the cloud (service like Google Drive, Photobucket, or Dropbox), most of them are smart enough and have mechanisms that would re-transmit the "packet that was lost" though you would notice it may take longer to send the file by a bit (depending on how much packet loss there is).

If we are dealing with calls/ video calls, you would notice some choppiness, pixelated videos, loss of audio, loss of video, or similar issues. It all depends on the application you are using.

Packet loss can be caused by a bad network card, a poor wireless connection (far distance or interference like microwaves or elevators), modem issues, or even ISP (Internet service provider) issues.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer. Very informative!.

2 hours ago, lawful73 said:

Thank you for your answer. Very informative!.

Whenever you are trying to understand I.T concepts, comparing it to real world examples makes it a lot easier to understand. Just think of your I.P experiencing packet loss as similar to Amazon Delivery losing a shipment on its way to its destination. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10