Need assistance; Unbearably loud laptop engine noise

Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

Can you try unscrewing the fan and lifting it out of the chassis and see if it still makes that noise?

But honestly I'd just replace it. Should be like $10 on eBay at most.

I have a Dell G3 3579 (Very similar to the one in the video. The one in the video looks like an older 3590 model), and it was bought brand new, back in December 2018.

I never experienced any problems in those years (Didn't thermal throttle, lag behind from the old HDD [because I replaced it], or in this case - have an engine for a fan)

Until (coincidentally) after my warranty went off, one of the two fans started acting up.

And I cannot stress this enough, it sounds like an engine (similar sound -

)

[Except it purrs when it's idle, and it's driving me insane.]

I cleaned it, both from outside the casing, and inside, but it didn't make a difference whatsoever.

And case scenario is, that I cannot replace the fan. (For reasons like not wanting to wear off the screws with the disassembly)

When I manually spin the fan (With a vacuum cleaner, not by hand.) it doesn't make any noise.

Anyone got some solutions?

edit; Forgot to finish a sentence.

Sounds like the blades are hitting something. Open it up and make sure there are no cables or anything in the way.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Sounds like the blades are hitting something. Open it up and make sure there are no cables or anything in the way.

I am gonna test whether or not it makes the noise while the casing is open. If it does, then it's unlikely cabling, etc. Because the sound comes from inside of the blades, as opposed to.. Idk, near the exhausts?

And it sounds unlikely because it happened before I changed my HDD (in which I had never opened the casing before that.)

Update; Yeah, nothing is in the way, and the sound seems to be coming from inside of the blades.

28 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, there doesn't seem to be anything in the way. But the fan is definitely wobbling like absolute crazy, apparently. Is there a temporary/permanent fix to this?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dressing said:

Well, there doesn't seem to be anything in the way. But the fan is definitely wobbling like absolute crazy, apparently. Is there a temporary/permanent fix to this?

Can you take a video? Fan might need to be replaced, yea.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Can you take a video? Fan might need to be replaced, yea.

Here you go, chief.

This is best case scenario, it gets pretty loud at times. At about 18 seconds in, I manually raise the RPM to what it does, when launching applications (Not actually during gaming sessions, for instance.)

1 minute ago, Dr. Dressing said:

Here you go, chief.

This is best case scenario, it gets pretty loud at times. At about 18 seconds in, I manually raise the RPM to what it does, when launching applications (Not actually during gaming sessions, for instance.)

I wasn't exaggerating when I said, that it sounded like an engine.

Hell, I sometimes hear it change gears and use it's turbo charger.

Can you try unscrewing the fan and lifting it out of the chassis and see if it still makes that noise?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

29 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah... about that 10 dollars part.

Anyways, I discovered, that while the sound is much weaker when it's disassembled, it's still there- Meaning it's not from something being stuck, but maybe the lubricant/blades are bad.

Irregardless, I think I have to find a replacement for it - But it's going into the 20 dollar line, including the shipping in most of these I am finding.