Does undervolting the i5 6400 give me benefits?

I want to undervolt my i5 6400 because I want to practice/try undervolting for my upcoming laptop(Intel CPU laptop) and see if it boost the CPU performance.

Yup, it will lessen the potentials of thermal throttling. And also you might achieve the turbo boost clock speeds since the CPU temperature is lower than it's normal voltage.

well...benefits...it'll run a bit cooler and use a couple cents less electricity each week....and maybe the computer will be a bit quieter.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

With a 6400, unless you have a very bad cooler, it won't make any difference. THe 6400 will run full speed with a stock cooler at default voltage, but feel free to try.

Avoid intel laptops currently, they are not good at all. Renoir 4000 series are just so far head it's impossible to recommend any intel based laptop

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

With a 6400, unless you have a very bad cooler, it won't make any difference. THe 6400 will run full speed with a stock cooler at default voltage, but feel free to try.

im using the stock cooler because my pc is not a gaming PC(yet). 

Just now, 5GigaaHertz said:

im using the stock cooler because my pc is not a gaming PC(yet). 

what are the load temps, it probably won't improve perfornace as its not thermally limited on the stock cooler.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Avoid intel laptops currently, they are not good at all. Renoir 4000 series are just so far head it's impossible to recommend any intel based laptop

i got a good deal at a 9th gen laptops and I'll only play light games or MOBA games on it so the last gen will suffice and I'll want it to sip a little power for battery life. my PC will be upgraded if the parts I want are in stock. But still, I will find a cheap Renoir laptop if possible because there are only few Renoir laptops sre being sold in my country at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what are the load temps, it probably won't improve perfornace as its not thermally limited on the stock cooler.

is that so? maybe ill just do it to practice undervolting. i want to try it for a long time since our laptop has a 3rd gen Intel mobile CPUs that can't do undervolting. 

3 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

i got a good deal at a 9th gen laptops and I'll only play light games or MOBA games on it so the last gen will suffice and I'll want it to sip a little power for battery life. my PC will be upgraded if the parts I want are in stock. But still, I will find a cheap Renoir laptop if possible because there are only few Renoir laptops sre being sold in my country at the moment. 

Intel laptops get worse battery life currently...because 7nm is far more efficient than their aging 14nm node.

Basically, any laptop with a Ryzen 5 4600H is FAR more powerful than any laptop with an i7 9750H or 10750H

Just now, 5GigaaHertz said:

is that so? maybe ill just do it to practice undervolting. i want to try it for a long time since our laptop has a 3rd gen Intel mobile CPUs that can't do undervolting. 

what are the load temps? those cpus don't make much heat.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what are the load temps? those cpus don't make much heat.

according to NZXT CAM, it is 45 degrees celcius on idle and about 55 to 59 degrees celcius

and idk how to read Hwinfo but here is the screenshot of it on load.

Im using Minecraft as load :((

Screenshot (27).png

40 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

according to NZXT CAM, it is 45 degrees celcius on idle and about 55 to 59 degrees celcius

and idk how to read Hwinfo but here is the screenshot of it on load.

Im using Minecraft as load :((

Screenshot (27).png

I see a max temp of 59c, but minecraft isn't the highest load program, something like prime95 or blender will put it under heavier load.

59c is far from the temp that the chip will throttle at, which is near 100c