Razer blade 15 vs HP Omen 15

Hi all - 

Been doing a lot of research on which laptop I should buy to replace my desktop rig (2600 at stock, 16GB RAM, RX480 8GB). Was going back and fourth on the HP Omen 15 and the Dell G5 SE, but then I came across the 2019 model of the Razer Blade (6 core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1660ti) on amazon for about $1k. Considering the features of the HP and Dell (both Ryzen 4000 based, close to 100% sRGB coverage screens, normal thermal performance, etc) versus the Blade's current price on Amazon (cheapest is $1,099 with prime), which laptop would you say has the best value of the 3?

1. HP Omen 15 (Ryzen 4600H w/1660ti, 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe, 144hz 97% sRGB screen) $1,300

2. Dell G5 SE (Ryzen 4600H w/ 5600M, 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe, 144hz 94% sRGb screen)  $1050

3. Razer Blade 15 2019 (i7 9750H w//166ti, 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe, 144hz 100% sRGB screen) $1,099

My prorities in order are 1. Color accuracy 2. Aesthetics 3. Performance.

Thanks!

the razer sucks.

2 and 3 need to be swapped.

I'd got with the HP as there should be a 10-20% discount code available right now

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The Blade is a nightmare and worse quality than most Chromebooks. Seriously avoid blades like the plague, the amount of problems they have is insane for that price.

The G15 overheats, avoid it.

The Omen is good, recommend either that or the Lenovo Legion 5

18 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

No matter how appealing they sound to you, no matter how good they look and sound, don't get a razer blade laptop. They sure seem like great laptops, and they are great laptops, only for the first day you use it out of the box lol. Razer blades have been having problems up the wazoo, and they sure are amazing laptops for the first day you use them out of the box, but after that, they are nothing but problems. You'd expect such an expensive laptop to be well made, but razer blades have nothing but problems, so run away from them as fast as you can. 

The Dell. Now Dell makes some pretty good monitors though, but this is gaming laptops. I wouldn't expect the Dell to perform great as it ages, or even perform great out the box. As @5x5 said, they overheat, which I completely agree with. They do overheat. And they don't perform super great compared to other high end gaming laptop, or perform that great at all. Wouldn't expect great gaming experience from it. Just not a bang for the buck 

Now the HP Omen is probably your best bet as per these 3 gaming laptops. I'd look at the HP Omen if I were you. I've been using HP laptops my whole life, and they are as reliable as can be, I'm actually replying to your question on my 2 year old HP laptop. Now this year, HP screwed up, but in general, they are probably the most reliable laptop brand out there next to Apple and Dell. Dell's also reliable, but not great performance. The HP Omen is probably your best bet in the 3 gaming laptops you chose. I'd go with the HP if I were you. 

@5x5Mentioned going with a Lenovo Legion. I'm not sure if they are great laptops, but Asus ROG laptops seem pretty good for gaming, and I'd look at ROG Zephyrus laptops. I'd recommend you the HP Omen from your list, but worth checking out the ROG zephyrus laptops, as they seem pretty good to me. In conclusion, the Razer blade with have nothing but problems, the dell won't perform great and overheat, so your best bet is the HP Omen, and sure worth checking out Asus ROG zephyrus laptops, but I'd go with the HP Omen if I were you. 

Yeah I think I'm going with the Omen. The sticker shock is a little much but I'll be thankful in the end I hope. Stays the coolest temperature wise and is almost as color accurate. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

I'd recommend you use a laptop cooler for heavy gaming.

I'll only be using it for mainly photo and 4k video editing, so it shouldn't get super hot. But i'll take that into consideration. Also, do you know if the default panel is 144hz or not? HP's marketing is making me think the second option is just the extra 50 nits of brightness, but the same panel regardless.

Annotation 2020-07-01 221828.png

1 hour ago, TheGermanEngie said:

I'll only be using it for mainly photo and 4k video editing, so it shouldn't get super hot. But i'll take that into consideration. Also, do you know if the default panel is 144hz or not? HP's marketing is making me think the second option is just the extra 50 nits of brightness, but the same panel regardless.

Annotation 2020-07-01 221828.png

The default cooling is enough, cooling pads are also basically scams so no sense in wasting money on them. High quality paste and undervolting can deliver MUCH better results if need be.

Also, the default display is 60Hz

1 hour ago, TheGermanEngie said:

Yeah I think I'm going with the Omen. The sticker shock is a little much but I'll be thankful in the end I hope. Stays the coolest temperature wise and is almost as color accurate. Thanks.

You certainly will be glad the CPU doesn't run at 105*C 😉