Thoughts on new build?

MexicanAnimal

Hi all! I am about to build a new rig, I don't know what to call it, so any suggestions are welcome!

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/31qZa

I live in Aus, and honestly, shit isn't cheap here, so this is the build,

Notice how I've left out storage and the GPU. I have a reason for both. 

I already have a new Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD, and that'll do just fine, but I will also get something like a 2 TB Barracuda.

As far as the GPU goes, I have decided to hang on until the 800 series come out, so I'm just gonna throw in my old 6870 until they come out.

This build is gonna be used mainly as a "workstation-y" and gaming PC, so yeah, any insight is welcome

Thanks! :)

if its a workstation id put in the extra money and get a 4770k other wise its fine 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I'm definitely not the best resource for tech stuff but have done lots of reading to build my current rig so take my opinion for what it is.

I'm assuming the 16gb of RAM is for other computer functions like media editing, etc? I was under the impression 8gb was plenty for gaming-only.

I'm definitely not the best resource for tech stuff but have done lots of reading to build my current rig so take my opinion for what it is.

I'm assuming the 16gb of RAM is for other computer functions like media editing, etc? I was under the impression 8gb was plenty for gaming-only.

Just read the workstation-y bit. Partially ignore my other post. Looks great! The cost doesn't seem to bad compared to Canada.

8gb of ram is all you need for gaming... Not sure what you're doing with the workstation (Doesn't hurt for the future anyway)

The case is a good choice. I got one recently and had a blast building in it.

Word of caution, be careful with cable management behind the Mobo tray, It gets tight, fast.

@MexicanAnimal

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

My changes :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($184.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($205.00 @ CPL Online)
Case:  Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply:  Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($142.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1002.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-28 17:15 EST+1100)

Also, I'd throw in the armor kit for the Gryphon if you like a nice, clean look. Couldn't find it on that site though. It's like $45 or something

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Looks pretty good from what i can tell i'm not familiar with intel since the 2600K.

Thanks all for the replies! Yeah, I have another thread asking if the i5 was enough for light video editing, and everyone agreed that it was enough, so I downgraded from the 4770k to the 4670k, so yeah.

My changes :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($184.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($205.00 @ CPL Online)
Case:  Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply:  Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($142.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1002.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-28 17:15 EST+1100)

Also, I'd throw in the armor kit for the Gryphon if you like a nice, clean look. Couldn't find it on that site though. It's like $45 or something

I probably will get the armour kit, but may I ask, why did you downgrade the H100i to the 212X?

Thanks

8gb of ram is all you need for gaming... Not sure what you're doing with the workstation (Doesn't hurt for the future anyway)

The case is a good choice. I got one recently and had a blast building in it.

Word of caution, be careful with cable management behind the Mobo tray, It gets tight, fast.

@MexicanAnimal

Haha will do! Thanks!

Thanks all for the replies! Yeah, I have another thread asking if the i5 was enough for light video editing, and everyone agreed that it was enough, so I downgraded from the 4770k to the 4670k, so yeah.

I probably will get the armour kit, but may I ask, why did you downgrade the H100i to the 212X?

Thanks

I feel it's not really necessary to get the H100i unless you're getting it for looks. Even if you're overclocking the 212x will be enough and it's a lot cheaper, leaving room for other things like the armor kit :)

I feel it's not really necessary to get the H100i unless you're getting it for looks. Even if you're overclocking the 212x will be enough and it's a lot cheaper, leaving room for other things like the armor kit :)

Oh ok, part of the reason I was getting the H100i was partly for astheatics, is there anything that is less expensive but also offers some good lucks through the side-window, like the Corsair Hydro series, not just a massive air-cooling rad :P

Thanks

Oh ok, part of the reason I was getting the H100i was partly for astheatics, is there anything that is less expensive but also offers some good lucks through the side-window, like the Corsair Hydro series, not just a massive air-cooling rad :P

Thanks

I'm not too sure dude, air cooling is the cheaper option. You could get something like this though, you might find the black anodized finish to be more appealing.

Another thing to consider is that there are less points of failure with air cooling. You could pay $149 for something that looks really nice and performs better, but can also burst and ruin everything else in your computer. Or... You could pay $49 for something that doesn't look as good and maybe not perform as good, but at least it will go for 10 years and not ruin everything in your computer. I know it's a very small chance that the H100i would burst, but it has happened occasionally.

I'm not too sure dude, air cooling is the cheaper option. You could get something like this though, you might find the black anodized finish to be more appealing.

Another thing to consider is that there are less points of failure with air cooling. You could pay $149 for something that looks really nice and performs better, but can also burst and ruin everything else in your computer. Or... You could pay $49 for something that doesn't look as good and maybe not perform as good, but at least it will go for 10 years and not ruin everything in your computer. I know it's a very small chance that the H100i would burst, but it has happened occasionally.

Yeah, ok, I know a couple of people who's H80i's bursted, but not too many. I might go for the air cooling option for this one, and throw the $100 that I save for a 780 :D

Thanks for the advice! 

Yeah, ok, I know a couple of people who's H80i's bursted, but not too many. I might go for the air cooling option for this one, and throw the $100 that I save for a 780 :D

Thanks for the advice! 

No worries mate, I'm always happy to help when I can :)