Not able to edit metadata on some music files

Go to solution Solved by Iceni,
1 hour ago, Iceni said:

I'm organising my music collection. Trying to get Groove Music to list things by album. Which it wants to separate by "album artist". As well as add information so I don't have everything listed under "unknown album". My solution was to edit the metadata in file explorer (groove music doesn't let you batch edit). This worked great except for a few tracks which can't be edited. These tracks seem to be random. For example two albums have one track that can't be edited but the rest of them worked fine. Then there is a whole album which I couldn't edit. I'm using windows 10 and most - if not all - the problem files are .flac. The problem album was originaly .wav but I converted it to .flac because I read .wav has more limited metadata. Any advice would be appreciated.

In the end I downloaded a third party metadata editor called MusicBrainz Picard. Which solved the problem. Why this worked but Groove Music and File Explorer didn't I have no idea.

I'm organising my music collection. Trying to get Groove Music to list things by album. Which it wants to separate by "album artist". As well as add information so I don't have everything listed under "unknown album". My solution was to edit the metadata in file explorer (groove music doesn't let you batch edit). This worked great except for a few tracks which can't be edited. These tracks seem to be random. For example two albums have one track that can't be edited but the rest of them worked fine. Then there is a whole album which I couldn't edit. I'm using windows 10 and most - if not all - the problem files are .flac. The problem album was originaly .wav but I converted it to .flac because I read .wav has more limited metadata. Any advice would be appreciated.

Could just be Windows being bitchy about editing certain things. All I could recommend is seeing if the file itself is write-protected and disabling that, if applicable.

WAV itself doesn’t store any real metadata about what the file is, but most media players can set up metadata for WAV/AIFF files for use in that media player.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

23 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Could just be Windows being bitchy about editing certain things. All I could recommend is seeing if the file itself is write-protected and disabling that, if applicable.

WAV itself doesn’t store any real metadata about what the file is, but most media players can set up metadata for WAV/AIFF files for use in that media player.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked and they're not write-protected. At least it doesn't say so in properties. 

1 hour ago, Iceni said:

In the end I downloaded a third party metadata editor called MusicBrainz Picard. Which solved the problem. Why this worked but Groove Music and File Explorer didn't I have no idea.

• 3 months later...

Alright...
It's very Simple...
You just need to reset Groove (doesn't erase data) rename the music directory and restart Groove pointing to the new directory from scratch.
In my case I'm syncing to the cloud.
After all it should display all metadata right.
Do not despair when adding new musics, as it may take like a couple of minutes to update..

Cheers,

dB