2 HDD with 1 OS each

ChrisElitz
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

Not corrupted, but maybe you accidentally delete some important system file or change something in registry. Or just want to made image of your current system using old one, so you can do that when your system is offline. Or just keep it as test environment if you have some files that you afraid to run using your main system.

In BIOS you can find hdd priority - place your new hdd at the top of the list.

So i currently have a HDD that is 1tb but a friend of mine placed a cracked win10 pro,
planning to buy another hdd/ssd but i will put another OS in there (WIndows 10 pro legit) i didn`t know he placed a cracked one so pls don`t say "we don`t help filthy pirates"
just pls i don`t want a crack windows.
i can still update my windows 10 pro i currently have win10 pro 20h2 yes the latest one i registered for insider builds and it worked but the only thing that i can`t do on this cracked windows is change/add passwords and turn on nightlight

so my main question is can i have 2 HDD with 1 OS each ?
hdd 1 cracked win 10 pro
hdd 2 legit win 10 pro
Do i just have to set my bios to boot from hdd 2 then everything`s gonna be fine?

Why have 2 of the same windows?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Technically, Yes. You will either have a boot menu on POST about which Windows version you want to boot on.... Or you can manually change the Boot Drive that will boot on POST in the BIOS.

But, really, why?

Just get all your data from the pirated copy, put it on the second drive, format the pirated copy to install the legit copy and then get back your files? If you have a large enough USB drive, you could also just put your data on there while you format the pirated copy of Windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

12 hours ago, Kanna said:

Why have 2 of the same windows?

A friend of mine placed a cracked one (BUT PLS DON`T SAY WE DON`T HELP FILTHY PIRATES TRUST ME I DIDN`T KNOW HE PLACED A CRACKED ONE I WANTED THE LEGIT ONE I PURCHASED A KEY)

12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Technically, Yes. You will either have a boot menu on POST about which Windows version you want to boot on.... Or you can manually change the Boot Drive that will boot on POST in the BIOS.

But, really, why?

Just get all your data from the pirated copy, put it on the second drive, format the pirated copy to install the legit copy and then get back your files? If you have a large enough USB drive, you could also just put your data on there while you format the pirated copy of Windows.

yeah but what about my steam games? downlading is a very very very big hassle for me way worse than u think

Btw 

here are my procedures 
1- remove hdd 1
2- install hdd 2 (no os yet)
3- install win 10 pro on hdd 2
4- install hdd1
5- done

1 minute ago, ChrisElitz said:

yeah but what about my steam games? downlading is a very very very big hassle for me way worse than u think

why do you need a os on both drives? Just have one os.

Btw 

here are my procedures 
1- remove hdd 1
4- install hdd1
5- done

that will work fine, but if hdd 1 works fine, I don't see a reason to change.

2 minutes ago, ChrisElitz said:

If you get a new drive, you can just drag/drop the Steam folder to it. It will still work.

2 minutes ago, ChrisElitz said:

Btw 

here are my procedures 
1- remove hdd 1
4- install hdd1
5- done

Yeaaaaah, that would "work", but I would still highly suggest taking your data off the HDD1 and formatting it afterward. There's no need for two OS's

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I tried posting in facebook bout` this issue and they said what u said earlier then a guy said that after i transfer my games/files that i need he`d recommend me to format it here are my questions below.
-do i just have to right click and press format of the drives of my hdd1?

-what about my drivers? do i have to install them again after formatting hdd1? 
-would it format including the cracked os trust me i didn`t want theat cracked one

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why do you need a os on both drives? Just have one os.

that will work fine, but if hdd 1 works fine, I don't see a reason to change.

Because i don`t want a cracked os 

Just now, ChrisElitz said:

what about my drivers? do i have to install them again after formatting hdd1? 

you only have to reinstall drivers if your installing a new os

-would it format including the cracked os trust me i didn`t want theat cracked one

Formatting a drive will remove all data from it, so yes it will remove a os.

-do i just have to right click and press format of the drives of my hdd1?

yes, or use disk management for more options

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If you get a new drive, you can just drag/drop the Steam folder to it. It will still work.

Yeaaaaah, that would "work", but I would still highly suggest taking your data off the HDD1 and formatting it afterward. There's no need for two OS's

Oh i could just drag and drop it too any folder?
do i have to do something like steps i wanna try it right now

Because i don`t want a cracked os 

Do you know how its cracked, you can often just put a key in(or just buy the key, microsoft only cares that you bought it, not that you entered the key)

But you can just install over the current install, and keep the files aswell(but make a backup first)

Oh i could just drag and drop it too any folder?
do i have to do something like steps i wanna try it right now

Basically that easy

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you only have to reinstall drivers if your installing a new os

Formatting a drive will remove all data from it, so yes it will remove a os.

yes, or use disk management for more options

arigatou

Basically that easy

imma try it right now let see if it works

Basically that easy

and i could also try using move install folder right? (the one on steam under local files tab of the game)

6 minutes ago, ChrisElitz said:

and i could also try using move install folder right? (the one on steam under local files tab of the game)

I would reinstall steam (not the games)

Reminder⚠️

I would reinstall steam (not the games)

wdym? btw it didn`t worked i tried moving steam birds alliance to from drive D to C and it didn`t work

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you know how its cracked, you can often just put a key in(or just buy the key, microsoft only cares that you bought it, not that you entered the key)

But you can just install over the current install, and keep the files aswell(but make a backup first)

would my steam games epic games and garena games be saved in that backup as well?
and download files all over again is a very very very big hassle for me

11 hours ago, ChrisElitz said:

wdym? btw it didn`t worked i tried moving steam birds alliance to from drive D to C and it didn`t work

it worked already i tried creating a new steam folder 

So here is what im planning to do

1- remove hdd1

2- install hdd2

3- install os on hdd 2

4- install drivers 

5- install hdd1

6- transfer files to hdd 2

7- format hdd1

What do you guys think bout it

-> Moved to Windows and merged some triple-quadruple posts

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Much easier solution:

1. Plug empty drive only

2. Install Windows

3. Boot

4. Plug second drive

5. Use that second drive whatever you want (leave everything, format, delete old Windows folder etc)

And what I really recommend - less talkng, more action.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, homeap5 said:

Much easier solution:

1. Plug empty drive only

2. Install Windows

3. Boot

4. Plug second drive

5. Use that second drive whatever you want (leave everything, format, delete old Windows folder etc)

And what I really recommend - less talkng, more action.

Ok pls check this one if it's ok already

Install the new hdd (2)

Turn on my pc

Both new  (2) and old hdd (1) are installed

Boot from old hdd (1)

Backup my steam apps/games

Format new hdd (2)

Shutdown

Remove old hdd (1)

Turn on

Install OS and DRIVERS

Restart

Shutdown

Install old hdd (1)

Turn on again

Boot from new hdd (1)

Move files/steam backup from old hdd to new hdd

Format old hdd by doing the ff:

-right click the drives of the old hdd and press format

Restart my pc

Install steam

Install backup games

Activate windows

Install some of my apps again

Done :)

what do you guys think?

arigatou :)

My questions are

-i have installed drivers both hdd1 and hdd2 if i format hdd1 would it affect the drivers of  my hdd2?  Is it gonna be ok as long as i  boot from the hdd2?

-how  am i supposed to know what is the name of the  hdd so that i will know where i will boot from because the names are i think a bit complicated

-how am i supposed to know the Letter of drives of the hdd so that when i format i will not make a mistake (im talkin  bout the letters in the "my pc" section like the C  D F G so one)

Thank you

Install the new hdd (2)

Turn on my pc

Boot from old hdd (1)

Backup my steam apps/games - I assume to some third hdd?

Format new hdd (2)

Shutdown

Remove old hdd (1)

Turn on

Install OS and DRIVERS

Restart

Shutdown

Install old hdd (1)

Turn on again

Boot from new hdd (1) - you mean (2)?

Move files/steam backup from old hdd to new hdd - why? leave them where they are, just move selected ones to new drive if is faster

Format old hdd by doing the ff - for what? leave your old system, it may be useful sometimes as backup system, just delete personal files

-right click the drives of the old hdd and press format - again?

Restart my pc - for what? you're already on new system

Install steam - copy steam with all files needed to proper folders, then install in the same place, then find on internet how to change path of your games, so you can leave them on old hdd

Install backup games

Activate windows

what do you guys think?

There is also much easier version.

1. Uninstall crack/activator

2. Clone your current system

3. Enter valid key.

And my small advice: less talking / asking, more acting. Just do not format anything unless you'll be sure that everything works.

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Install the new hdd (2)

Turn on my pc

Boot from old hdd (1)

Backup my steam apps/games - I assume to some third hdd?

Format new hdd (2)

Shutdown

Remove old hdd (1)

Turn on

Install OS and DRIVERS

Restart

Shutdown

Install old hdd (1)

Turn on again

Boot from new hdd (1) - you mean (2)?

Move files/steam backup from old hdd to new hdd - why? leave them where they are, just move selected ones to new drive if is faster

Format old hdd by doing the ff - for what? leave your old system, it may be useful sometimes as backup system, just delete personal files

-right click the drives of the old hdd and press format - again?

Restart my pc - for what? you're already on new system

Install steam - copy steam with all files needed to proper folders, then install in the same place, then find on internet how to change path of your games, so you can leave them on old hdd

Install backup games

Activate windows

what do you guys think?

There is also much easier version.

1. Uninstall crack/activator

2. Clone your current system

3. Enter valid key.

And my small advice: less talking / asking, more acting. Just do not format anything unless you'll be sure that everything works.

I just though that  formatting might give  my pc bigger space, i have to  transfer all my files that i need from old hdd to new hdd and format the old hdd after installing the OS on my new hdd to ensure everything on my old hdd would be removed  completely, i just wanted to maximize everything that i have.

And I didn't understand and I didn't know what to do about what u said about steam-copy steam with all files needed to proper folders, then install in the same place, then find on internet how to change path of your games, so you can leave them on old hdd.

Could you explain further and list step by step procedures thanks

After formatting the old hdd i will also return the files that i need, do i really need a backup system? Because i don't think i have any files that is important i transfered all my family photos/videos on my other pc, it's just that my wifi is kinda slow so if i do a clean install it'll be a big hassle.

Nothing Will go wrong if i format my old  hdd right? As long as i boot from my new hdd when it has an os right?

And about ur advice i understand that i have lots of questions but before i perform my intention i wanted to make sure of everything will work out and planned carefully

It will be ok if i lose all my files if i need to format all my hdd and lose every file that i have, but if i need my games/files again it'll take a long time.

I barely understand what you're saying. But...

1. Don't maximize your free space, it's not really necessary, you don't pay for empty space. If you have all your files already on old hdd, just keep that files on that drive instead of copying everything from disk A to disk B and then from disk B to disk A again. You can get about 20 GB free space if you delete Windows installation, but is it really worth your time? Hard drives are cheap now and even worst motherboards have 4 SATA connectors (usually 6), so if you'll be out of space, you can always add another HDD and another. They get almost no power (3-7W) so instead of deleting everything (including probably few your important files) - just do what I said.

2. About steam - if you have your games on D drive (which will be your old C drive) then all you need is to install Steam, then point to existing games folder. How to do that? You can find lot of tutorials on internet "how to change games location on Steam" or this or...

9 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I barely understand what you're saying. But...

1. Don't maximize your free space, it's not really necessary, you don't pay for empty space. If you have all your files already on old hdd, just keep that files on that drive instead of copying everything from disk A to disk B and then from disk B to disk A again. You can get about 20 GB free space if you delete Windows installation, but is it really worth your time? Hard drives are cheap now and even worst motherboards have 4 SATA connectors (usually 6), so if you'll be out of space, you can always add another HDD and another. They get almost no power (3-7W) so instead of deleting everything (including probably few your important files) - just do what I said.

2. About steam - if you have your games on D drive (which will be your old C drive) then all you need is to install Steam, then point to existing games folder. How to do that? You can find lot of tutorials on internet "how to change games location on Steam" or this or...

Understood so i will not format already :)

remove old hdd (1) 
install new hdd (2)

install os and drivers on (2)
-i really have to install the OS on my (2) so i could use a legit win10 pro
shutdown

install (1)
-i will not backup my games anymore because i will not format anything 

boot from (2)
(How do i change boot sequence again?)
done
in other words i just installed os and drivers on (2) and booted from it.

if this you think this works fine i`ll mark this as solved

thanks