cooling advise

Quagral

Built a PC 6 months ago, housing an AMD 3700x and 2080 super housed in a lian li pc-011 with a corsair h150i (exhaust setup positioned top) as cooling. It also has 6x fan (Corsair ML120s) as intake on both bottom and side. Idle temps are all over the place with 3700x, and I can seem to get a decent fan curve setup. Is it normal for the 3700x's idle temp to be all over the place. I am idling 50-65 most of the time. 

My PC continues to reach temps of above >70 despite the setup, surely I would get better right? Does anybody have some advise in optimising my setup at present all intake fans are static at 1300RPM, and AIO at Balance settings. Really want to get a fine balance with decent cooling, and at the same time not listening next to an aircraft. Many Thanks

Why not set all the fans to 800-1000 RPM fixed? That's still plenty of airflow with 9 fans total while being nice and quiet. As for the CPU temp: I get similar temps with my NH-D15 using 600RPM max. So i'd guess your temps should be quite a bit better. Maybe check thermal paste application or mounting pressure. Maybe your rad needs cleaning.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Also PBO will increase your temps if it's enabled.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I actually have all the fans set at 1300 fixed. So its normal to have crazy temp?

it's normal for idle temps to vary, as ryzen likes to boost one core to the max and pump it with voltage even for the smallest task. 

as long as under heavy load you aren't getting high temperatures (i wouldn't expect more than 80 with your setup), you're fine.

Although this is normal for some as others have mentioned. There are a couple thing you can check to insure your getting the most out of your cooling situation.

What motherboard do you have? Is the bios up to date for the cpu you have?this may help power delivery.

You can also try setting custom power profile in bios. Same as OC'ing, but instead of tuning around extra speed your tuning around power delivery. There are also some auto feature that can handle both for you. (If your stuck with heat might as well get the preformance from it)

You can check mounting pressure of the cooler. Make sure your pressure is even across the IHS. Maybe a tiny bit more pressure may help. Or lapping the IHS maybe good an option.

You can use a different TIM. Also insure you have an even spread across the IHS. Don't be scared to use a tiny bit more more to insure this happens. The extra will just come out the sides. 

Also remember that you rad is exhaust so all internal heat is also saturating the cooler. Even at idle.