Do you know of any graphics card better than the GT 1030 that draws 40 watts or less?

marcosmoutta
Just now, StaffCorporal said:

There are none

Welp that is rather disappointing, it's been 2 years since the gt 1030 came out. I guess there isn't really need for newer weird budget gpus since the 1030 still handles everything at 30 fps 480p with a tad of overclocking.

Just now, marcosmoutta said:

Welp that is rather disappointing, it's been 2 years since the gt 1030 came out. I guess there isn't really need for newer weird budget gpus since the 1030 still handles everything at 30 fps 480p with a tad of overclocking.

You can look into iGPUs if you don't require a dedicated card

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

I'm curious about why precisely less than 40W ... if it is because that you don't have pcie connector on your psu then there's other cards that doesn't require those connector such as some gtx 1050, gtx 1050 ti and I think gtx 1650 ... all of those are more powerful than the gt1030

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Technically you could buy a GTX 1650 and just set the power limit to 40W?

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

16 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I'm curious about why precisely less than 40W ... if it is because that you don't have pcie connector on your psu then there's other cards that doesn't require those connector such as some gtx 1050, gtx 1050 ti and I think gtx 1650 ... all of those are more powerful than the gt1030

Basically the power supplies I have are the worst ones you could possibly buy and I keep getting them for free because of my background - no I'm not a mafia member it's nothing special lol - and as long as I can get another one for free when one of them catches on fire (yes it happened once it was very creepy) I will keep myself limited to cards that use less than 40 watts. Am I subjecting my pcs to danger? Maybe, but it's been more than 10 years since I last saw one of those psus "break" a mother board soooo I don't really care.

Edit: no, it's not just me being silly/absurdly cheap, I live in a third world country and while an extra 10 or 30 dollars might not seem like much to some, it makes the difference between starving or not. lol weird right?

16 hours ago, StaffCorporal said:

Technically you could buy a GTX 1650 and just set the power limit to 40W?

That... sounds like a bad idea, won't that limit its performance significantly? I'll pay more for something I can't use

10 minutes ago, marcosmoutta said:

won't that limit its performance significantly?

If it doesn't hit that limit then no 

Even if it did it would not be significant

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

If it doesn't hit that limit then no 

Even if it did it would not be significant

If it was as easy as that. why wouldn't they make a few little concessions and label it as 40 watts? is it a deal with psu makers? (I really don't doubt it, companies like money)

Just now, marcosmoutta said:

why wouldn't they make a few little concessions and label it as 40 watts

They label how much it will draw  

Limiting the power limit would result in either 1. The card will still get enough power to boost 

Or 2. The card won't get enough power to boost so it will lower it's clocks 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1650 power limited will still be much faster than a 1030.

Pentium 4 670 4.6ghz . ASUS P5K3 . 4GB DDR2 1066 . Radeon HD 6990 . Corsair HX1000i

A faster gpu limited by power will be faster then card rated at that power.  A 200w gpu set to run at 50w will be more efficient and faster then a 60w set to run at 50w. Samw with cpu, i9-9900k limited to 40w will outperform a i3 running 40w, probably an i3 at 65w for that matter.  Few years ago I messed with low power on i3-8100 and gtx1050 limited to about 60w total at wall under load, performance wasn't that far under stock for fraction of power used.  No real use case, just tinkering for sake of tinkering.  

Another option would be to use two psu, a mining riser card has separate power input, and there are dual psu adapters to turn them on together.  Or mods can be done to wire harness of psu.

6 hours ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

A faster gpu limited by power will be faster then card rated at that power.  A 200w gpu set to run at 50w will be more efficient and faster then a 60w set to run at 50w. Samw with cpu, i9-9900k limited to 40w will outperform a i3 running 40w, probably an i3 at 65w for that matter.  Few years ago I messed with low power on i3-8100 and gtx1050 limited to about 60w total at wall under load, performance wasn't that far under stock for fraction of power used.  No real use case, just tinkering for sake of tinkering.  

Another option would be to use two psu, a mining riser card has separate power input, and there are dual psu adapters to turn them on together.  Or mods can be done to wire harness of psu.

It's pretty easy, just ground them together right? Also yeah, thanks for the advice, I might go for a 1050 if it's cheap enough then

https://bit-tech.net/guides/modding/how-to-jump-a-psu/1/  Here is article showing what pin/wires to ground.  Grounding that pin tells psu to turn on when power button on case is pushed, psu for gpu needs to have this either permanently grounded or hooked to same pin of main psu, so both ground when button is pushed.  Paperclip is fine for test bench, I wouldn't try doing it day to day.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:08 AM, marcosmoutta said:

world country and while an extra 10 or 30 dollars might not seem like much to some, it makes the difference between starving or not. lol weird right?

sell whatever you got, pc for later