Is VA panel tech the sweet spot for gaming / production?

Metal_HorseCrab

I bought a 144hz Samsung quantum dot display, the CRG5, it's image quality is far better than I expected and it was cheap for what I have gotten from it. My issue was the bad stand that comes with it though.

I researched and bought a Vesa arm and Vesa adapter for it and it became the best monitor I have ever owned. I have owned TN & a couple of IPS panels and none come close to this at least from a balance perspective of quality and gaming features, though i have no doubt it is all subjective.

Super dark blacks, amazing 125% sRGB colour, zero backlight bleed, 144hz refresh rate & amazing screen controls. Samsung have also removed the problems that quantum dot & VA have which is smearing, it is not on their quantum dot panels.

The only drawback is that there are faster 144hz panels, but not at this level of image quality or this price.

DSC00080.thumb.JPG.e54c53094bc8454e139810d6f000887f.JPGDSC00081.thumb.JPG.6a8b49a33ad0d53e206fb5b322de3c97.JPGDSC00082.thumb.JPG.a03318cf15a457de7861bc72b2687916.JPG

Pentium 4 670 4.6ghz . ASUS P5K3 . 4GB DDR2 1066 . Radeon HD 6990 . Corsair HX1000i

Not at all surprised, I had an IPS monitor and a VA TV at one point, the difference was dramatic.

Although OLED I would expect to be the real sweet-spot, although I'm very dubious one would last more than a year or two without burn-in.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not at all surprised, I had an IPS monitor and a VA TV at one point, the difference was dramatic.

Although OLED I would expect to be the real sweet-spot, although I'm very dubious one would last more than a year or two without burn-in.

Have we progressed enough with OLED yet to be viable for long term usage?

From what i have noticed is that people have mentioned OLED has many drawbacks such as diming over time much faster and screen burn in. 

Pentium 4 670 4.6ghz . ASUS P5K3 . 4GB DDR2 1066 . Radeon HD 6990 . Corsair HX1000i

8 hours ago, Metal_HorseCrab said:

Have we progressed enough with OLED yet to be viable for long term usage?

From what i have noticed is that people have mentioned OLED has many drawbacks such as diming over time much faster and screen burn in. 

For a monitor I'm very sceptical, I get temporary image retention on my LCD (never seen that happen on any monitor I've owned before).

My OLED TV I have the burn-in prevention on its most aggressive setting so it avoids static white from staying at 100% brightness for very long.  If I leave the Windows desktop on my TV, it dims it down dramatically, I really wouldn't want to leave something like an explorer window open on it without that feature.  You don't notice when watching TV/movies or gaming, but I'd imagine that's a complete deal breaker when doing video or photography work where you need it be 100% precise at all times. 

From what I can gather, Quantum Dot is very much the top-end with an aim to even have self-emissive Quantum Dots eventually as a superior option to OLED.  Although obviously claims of what we will have in the future have to be taken with a pinch of salt, sometimes these things never become mass-market viable even if technically possible.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

125% sRGB doesn't do much without HDR though 

I think VA is a sweetspot for content consumption and gaming but not content creation. IPS viewing angle is more useful for creative work but then again, VA today doesn't have that bad of a viewing angle. I would have picked it up had Samsung implement HDR on most of their monitor but sadly they didn't (also not a fan of their curve).