Switching from iOS to Android, not sure which device

A-1_2

Hi All,

So I am looking at switching to Android from iOS, but not sure which phone to buy, and was hoping with a list of wants you guys could help.

So I've currently looked at Note 10+ 5G (Has hybrid sim on exynos which is what ill be getting), Pixel 4 which also has hybrid sim, is cheaper and 90Hz display.

My concerns with Samsung is their update cycle, they're kind of scummy, they're slow and I've heard reports that the version they ship with they count as one of the updates in its life time, but their screens are amazing!

The pixel has much better update cycle, much better, faster screen but their battery life seems to always be awful.

But I also don't mind looking at the "budget" category, Pixel 3A is an amazing phone for example.

Its kind of driving me crazy! any suggestions?

List if you need one - 

Dual Sim

Good Screen (Quality not refresh)

Minimum 64GB storage

Ideally good software updates

Thanks

personally i use 1+

had their 6t and currently use the 7tPro McLaren edition.

very happy with both and software updates are frequent enough i belive. though i wait 2-3 weeks before doing them out of laziness 

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

28 minutes ago, A-1_2 said:

The pixel has much better update cycle, much better, faster screen but their battery life seems to always be awful.

Pixel 4 XL user here. The battery isn't as bad as some make it out to seem imo because by the time you've managed 6 hours of screen on time, I personally think I should either go outside or you know, charge it.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No budget, so S20 Ultra 5G or OP8P I guess

Sorry yes, around £500, used is an option, looking at an S10+ for around £500 now.

25 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

Pixel 4 XL user here. The battery isn't as bad as some make it out to seem imo because by the time you've managed 6 hours of screen on time, I personally think I should either go outside or you know, charge it.

With work I spend a lot of time on mobile data, VoIP calls or cell calls, emails, MS Teams so on.

I'm away from my laptop a lot so its essentially a portable office for me also!

Just now, A-1_2 said:

With work I spend a lot of time on mobile data, VoIP calls or cell calls, emails, MS Teams so on.

I'm away from my laptop a lot so its essentially a portable office for me also!

I can't recommend it then for you. I had a OnePlus for a few years and it served me well; perhaps check them out.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If you need it to pull double duty for work, maybe a Galaxy Note 10+ or S10+ will be nice with Dex functionality. If you are in the UK you will get the Exynos version. If you want a Samsung flagship with Snapdragon chipset, there is the S10 Lite with fantastic battery life, although it loses Dex support. The S10 Lite has no Exynos version.

Samsung is not that bad with software updates for their flagships (compared to many other Android brands) although I fail to see how software updates matter because they dont affect your usage at all. Software updates have never proven be of any benefit beyond placebo and the illusion of superior protection.

I know it will be the exynos version, as long as I charge it up driving home it should be fine, I have a 24w port and charger in my car to help charge.

I dont want to drop to the lite version really, I like the front camera really of the s10+ also! 

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

In a ways the Lite version is an upgrade instead of a downgrade because of the Snapdragon chipset (the same SD855 as on the US models, mind you) and the big battery only having to power a 1080p screen makes it last even longer.

Dont let the 'Lite' moniker fool you into thinking its an inferior device

Nope your right, just looked at it while I cant use standby sim just yet (will be soon when I switch to EE) it has better specs overall it seems, plus bigger screen.

Much appreciated!

5 hours ago, A-1_2 said:

(will be soon when I switch to EE

EE is great. Perhaps looking into getting it from Carphone warehouse though as they will sell you a model running unlocked firmware meaning it will get updates faster.

Thanks

On 6/23/2020 at 6:03 PM, Mad153 said:

EE is great. Perhaps looking into getting it from Carphone warehouse though as they will sell you a model running unlocked firmware meaning it will get updates faster.

No sorry, I'll be sim only next year for e sim, I purchased the S10 lite second hand in perfect condition

On 6/23/2020 at 10:17 AM, A-1_2 said:

Hi All,

So I am looking at switching to Android from iOS, but not sure which phone to buy, and was hoping with a list of wants you guys could help.

So I've currently looked at Note 10+ 5G (Has hybrid sim on exynos which is what ill be getting), Pixel 4 which also has hybrid sim, is cheaper and 90Hz display.

My concerns with Samsung is their update cycle, they're kind of scummy, they're slow and I've heard reports that the version they ship with they count as one of the updates in its life time, but their screens are amazing!

But I also don't mind looking at the "budget" category, Pixel 3A is an amazing phone for example.

Its kind of driving me crazy! any suggestions?

List if you need one - 

Dual Sim

Good Screen (Quality not refresh)

Minimum 64GB storage

Ideally good software updates

Thanks

Just bear in mind that no matter which android phone you get you will be compromising on something where on the iPhone you wouldn’t be. As an all round package no android phone can match the iPhone.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Just bear in mind that no matter which android phone you get you will be compromising on something where on the iPhone you wouldn’t be. As an all round package no android phone can match the iPhone.

Nah, that may be the case for you. Maybe someone needs a bigger notchless display, prefers android over ios, wants to have a fast charger in the retail box or a bigger battery, wants a headphone jack, has already invested in Google services, likes the versatility of a wide angle camera or even likes a particular design of a phone's back glass. Let op enjoy their new phone.

I cant get over how many people cry about the notch. Like boohoo lol. I've got a 6.5 inch OLED screen, lots of storage, and the battery lasts all day. Good enough. But I have to agree, personally I could care less on what phones people buy, I do care if they are happy with their decision. Run watcha brung, no one really cares if you like Android or iOS. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

31 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Nah, that may be the case for you. Maybe someone needs a bigger notchless display, prefers android over ios, wants to have a fast charger in the retail box or a bigger battery, wants a headphone jack, has already invested in Google services, likes the versatility of a wide angle camera or even likes a particular design of a phone's back glass. Let op enjoy their new phone.

Isn’t the Max like 6.5”? And that’s bordering unusable. And maybe you should use one and see how the notch isn't actually an issue, just some made up negative used by people who don’t like Apple. 

Sure people can prefer one OS over the other but going from iOS to android you’re losing stuff you take for granted.

The Pros have fast chargers in the Box 

How many flagship phones have a headphone jack? 

The 11 series all have wide angle cameras 

You can use google services on iOS

43 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Isn’t the Max like 6.5”? And that’s bordering unusable.

Compare what each brand offers based on the price point. That's just personal preference.

And maybe you should use one and see how the notch isn't actually an issue, just some made up negative used by people who don’t like Apple. 

I do like apple(in fact the og SE still remains my favorite smartphone). And I said needs a notchless display. 

Sure people can prefer one OS over the other but going from iOS to android you’re losing stuff you take for granted.

You do lose stuff going from Android to ios too. Recommended apps on the recent tabs, movable icons, defaults, edge functionality etc.

The Pros have fast chargers in the Box 

Yeah what? 18w? That's the same you get from most $200 phones. If apple bumps up the voltage on the iphone 12, does that mean that battery technologies have come a long way since last year? No.

How many flagship phones have a headphone jack? 

Again. In depends on the price. $200? Most of them do.

The 11 series all have wide angle cameras 

At what price?

You can use google services on iOS

Google assistant with android practicality? My saved google play progress? Money spent on games and apps?

37 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Compare what each brand offers based on the price point. That's just personal preference.

I do like apple(in fact the og SE still remains my favorite smartphone). And I said needs a notchless display. 

You do lose stuff going from Android to ios too. Recommended apps on the recent tabs, movable icons, defaults, edge functionality etc.

Yeah what? 18w? That's the same you get from most $200 phones. If apple bumps up the voltage on the iphone 12, does that mean that battery technologies have come a long way since last year? No.

Again. In depends on the price. $200? Most of them do.

At what price?

Google assistant with android practicality? My saved google play progress? Money spent on games and apps?

Why would you need a notchless display exactly?

You know you get recommended apps both on the widget page and spotlight? You can also move icons around...

The dude is moving from iOS to android, they don’t have any google play progress or purchases they have that on iOS. 

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You know you get recommended apps both on the widget page and spotlight? You can also move icons around...

This is the last time I'm arguing with you about this topic. 

You said that choosing any Android devices over iPhones comes with a lot of compromises. You were talking in general, not for the dude. So "The dude is moving from iOS to android" argument is invalid here.

Bruh, better viewing experience.

Yeah, that's you getting used to the software, not you making the software more suitable for you. It's called customizability.

15 minutes ago, EL02 said:

This is the last time I'm arguing with you about this topic. 

You said that choosing any Android devices over iPhones comes with a lot of compromises. You were talking in general, not for the dude. So "The dude is moving from iOS to android" argument is invalid here.

Bruh, better viewing experience.

Yeah, that's you getting used to the software, not you making the software more suitable for you. It's called customizability.

I was replying directly to the OP, I was talking about their case. Context, look it up.

What are you on about a better viewing experience? Most content is filmed in 21:9 or 16:9. Most smartphones are between 18:9 and 20:9. The iphone just blacks out the sides of the notch to leave you with a square. You're getting black bars regardless.

It's a feature you said wasn't there but is there. That's not getting used to software that's you not knowing what you're talking about.