durable wifi extender for outdoor outlet

Thready

I want to put a wifi extender in an outdoor outlet and I'd like for it to at least be water and cold resistant. I don't really know how to go about researching this because I have no experience with these things. Anything under $50 you'd suggest?

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

The only outdoor Access Points I'm aware of use Power over Ethernet.

Outdoor outlets should be water sealed and its just not really practical to cool an integrated PSU in a sealed outlet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Thready said:

I want to put a wifi extender in an outdoor outlet and I'd like for it to at least be water and cold resistant. I don't really know how to go about researching this because I have no experience with these things. Anything under $50 you'd suggest?

First of all, WiFi extenders (in the typical usage) are garbage. Secondly, they're are not generally meant to be placed outside since they have to be plugged into an electrical outlet.

An outdoor-rated wireless access point is a better solution, but requires you have the ability to run ethernet from the router/switch to the outdoor location.

How much area do you want to cover? How much distance must the WiFi reach?

11 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

First of all, WiFi extenders (in the typical usage) are garbage. Secondly, they're are not generally meant to be placed outside since they have to be plugged into an electrical outlet.

An outdoor-rated wireless access point is a better solution, but requires you have the ability to run ethernet from the router/switch to the outdoor location.

How much area do you want to cover? How much distance must the WiFi reach?

I just need it in my garage and driveway. The router is about 40 feet from the garage but I'm getting poor reception in the garage and driveway. It's running on 5 ghz which I'm thinking might be the problem and I wonder if switching to 2.4 would make the signal stronger. The problem with that is that I would have to change my phone's connection every time I went to the garage and I don't want to do that. 

I also have a T Mobile range extender plugged into the router that gives me better mobile signal and that also struggles to reach the garage. 

I was thinking of putting a cheap extender in the garage and if it craps out in a year no big deal. But like I said I don't know much about wifi and how the equipment works. 

1 hour ago, Thready said:

was thinking of putting a cheap extender in the garage and if it craps out in a year no big deal. But like I said I don't know much about wifi and how the equipment works. 

The extender needs to be in a place that has good WiFi reception. Putting it in a place of crappy reception defeats the purpose. Also what @Falcon1986 states above is true. Extenders are terrible in the best of circumstances, provide it with weak signal and you can see where this is going. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The extender needs to be in a place that has good WiFi reception. Putting it in a place of crappy reception defeats the purpose. Also what @Falcon1986 states above is true. Extenders are terrible in the best of circumstances, provide it with weak signal and you can see where this is going. 

It seems that it wouldn't be worth it then