Motherboard front panel connector

Hi folks,

So, I'm planning on upgrading my cpu+mobo+ram combo. I currently have a Micro-ATX Asus B85M-G which has a 10-1 FPANEL connector, which works great with my Cooler Master K350 case, which has the same cable installed. 

I've been looking at AM4 mobos for a R5 3600. I wanted to stay at Asus as I only had good experiences with them, but I had to realize that all Asus ATX mobos have 20-5 front panel connectors. I consideres buying an adapter, until I came across MSI boards, and the B450 Tomahawk MAX and it's JFP1 Front panel connector. 

Although it seems to be the same for me, is there any difference between the two? Would it work fine with the current cable? I could also buy a micro-atx board as the Asus ones have the same 10-1 FPANEL connector, but I've read that they aren't the best and it's worth the extra 40 bucks for something like this Tomahawk.

Thank you all in advance for helping me out!

12 minutes ago, heleves said:

which has a 10-1 FPANEL connector

Do you mean this...?

Buying a Motherboard: 20 Terms You Need to Know | PCMag

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

1762105567_B85M-GFP.PNG.d0a4ffc532387f349da814f717dea3d5.PNG

Yeah; that's normal, but I remember that far back that cases had basic speakers built into them that would feed BIOS beeps... and these did, indeed, need connecting to the motherboard.

@heleves cases now only come with 4 connections; three are 2-pin & one is two single wires (why, I'm not 100% sure).

Whatever used to connect to that white connector now goes straight on to a (much less complicated, thankfully) set of pins on the motherboard.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

No, he means that his special-sauce motherboard has a special front panel connector that is nowhere near as long as the connector you shared. It has literally 9 (10-1) pins.

1762105567_B85M-GFP.PNG.d0a4ffc532387f349da814f717dea3d5.PNG

Yes, exactly. Based on the user manual of the Tomahawk, I figured they would be the same, I just wanted to make sure that they are and they will work with one another.

And @Eighjan yes it actually beeps at me everytime I boot lol

1 minute ago, Benji said:

@Eighjan It probably was normal once, but unless you go for a form factor smaller than ATX you won't see these "standard" connectors anymore, you'll only see these 20-* connectors. I have one on my motherboard (ROG Strix B450-F Gaming) as well, doesn't make a difference in any way.

Sorry, I'm a little bit confused over this one. So they are not the same after all? The B450 Tomahawk MAX is an ATX board. I attached the part of the user manual about the front panel connector. Sorry if my concerns don't make sense, I'm a noob to PCs at this level.

mobo.png

I just looked at the manual for your motheboard that you listed above & the front panel connector is exactly the same as it is on a B450 board... except the 4-pin speaker connector above it is now gone.

image.png.f43029657b6c8b046b944a2cb2e7934b.png

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

I just looked at the manual for your motheboard that you listed above & the front panel connector is exactly the same as it is on a B450 board... except the 4-pin speaker connector above it is now gone.

image.png.f43029657b6c8b046b944a2cb2e7934b.png

I think it (the MSI Tomahawk) might even have the 4 pin speaker connector too, it's just a different part of it, the one called JFP2.

mobo2.png

Okay, I guess they will work then. It's weird to see a new motherboard have the same front panel connectors that old cases like mine use, especially considering the buildt-in speaker as well, but I'm really glad it exists.

Thank you very much for your help guys, and wish me luck with the upgrade:)