i9-10900K vs i9-10900X

Hey,

i9-10900K seems to have better specs than i9-10900X except number of memory channels, higher number of memory size. Also the motherboard of i9-10900X generally has 8 DIM slots and higher number of PCIe lanes. i9-10900X is priced 100 USD higher than K version. I will love to know if there is other productivity benefits of X version over K version? I am gonna use this PC for video production and it seems the integrated GPU of i9-10900K will have more favorable impact on editing and rendering as well!!

Thank you!!

Well the 10900X is on Intel's HEDT platform - it's only worth the premium if you need AVX-512, the extra PCIe lanes, quad-channel memory and the other extras X299 offers. Otherwise, head to head, the 10900K will be the better performer in most scenarios. The motherboards are also more expensive, not just the CPUs.

That being said, does your workload specifically require Intel? You can get a 3900X for around the same or lower price as a 10900K generally, and it offers an extra 2C/4T, so it'll be faster in heavily multi-threaded tasks.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

if you only plan on gaming and graphic use, go with the K variant.

Don't waste money on features you wont use

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well the 10900X is on Intel's HEDT platform - it's only worth the premium if you need AVX-512, the extra PCIe lanes, quad-channel memory and the other extras X299 offers. Otherwise, head to head, the 10900K will be the better performer in most scenarios. The motherboards are also more expensive, not just the CPUs.

That being said, does your workload specifically need Intel? You can get a 3900X for around the same or lower price as a 10900K generally, and it offers an extra 2C/4T, so it'll be faster in heavily multi-threaded tasks.

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

That being said, does your workload specifically require Intel? You can get a 3900X for around the same or lower price as a 10900K generally, and it offers an extra 2C/4T, so it'll be faster in heavily multi-threaded tasks.

Yeah I need to use intel for this build. I am all set for i9-10900K, ironing out other options and final details.

6 minutes ago, Fennie said:

if you only plan on gaming and graphic use, go with the K variant.

Don't waste money on features you wont use

I am not going to game on this build. Pure professional use, programming, graphics and video production only.

2 minutes ago, Anannyo said:

Yeah I need to use intel for this build. I am all set for i9-10900K, ironing out other options and final details.

Alright. What other components do you plan on going for?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

5 minutes ago, Anannyo said:

I am not going to game on this build. Pure professional use, programming, graphics and video production only.

if you plan on using a bunch of ssds gpus and network cards in your system go with the x for the better use of PCIe lanes. if you only have like one network card one gpu and one ssd. you don't need a x you're fine with the K

13 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Alright. What other components do you plan on going for?

Hey @Mateyyy, here is my build list:

CPU: i9-10900K

Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z490 Creator

RAM: 64GB (32GB X 2) 3200 MHz (want to have the option to max out to 128GB)

GPU: Radeon VII or Big Navi

AIO: NZXT Kraken X73

PSU: 1200 Watt 80+ Gold

Case: Cooler master Cosmos C700M

22 minutes ago, Fennie said:

if you plan on using a bunch of ssds gpus and network cards in your system go with the x for the better use of PCIe lanes. if you only have like one network card one gpu and one ssd. you don't need a x you're fine with the K

I will use one GPU (Max 2) and one network card; however, will use 2 M.2 SSD in the available slots on motherboard; and will get 2.5" SSDs and connect them with cables. I don't need PCIe lanes for SSDs. So K version will be fine for me, don't need 8 PCIe lanes for sure.

Just now, Anannyo said:

I will use one GPU (Max 2) and one network card; however, will use 2 M.2 SSD in the available slots on motherboard; and will get 2.5" SSDs and connect them with cables. I don't need PCIe lanes for SSDs. So K version will be fine for me, don't need 8 PCIe lanes for sure.

👍

16 minutes ago, Anannyo said:

Hey @Mateyyy, here is my build list:

CPU: i9-10900K

Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z490 Creator

RAM: 64GB (32GB X 2) 3200 MHz (want to have the option to max out to 128GB)

GPU: Radeon VII or Big Navi

AIO: NZXT Kraken X73

PSU: 1200 Watt 80+ Gold

Case: Cooler master Cosmos C700M

Sounds good. There are cheaper alternatives to ASUS' Z490 Creator, unless you need Thunderbolt 3 and 10G Ethernet.

Make sure the PSU you go for is actually high quality (the "80+ Gold" rating for example is nothing more than an efficiency rating, it doesn't necessarily mean a PSU is really solid).

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Sounds good. There are cheaper alternatives to ASUS' Z490 Creator, unless you need Thunderbolt 3 and 10G Ethernet.

Make sure the PSU you go for is actually high quality (the "80+ Gold" rating for example is nothing more than an efficiency rating, it doesn't necessarily mean a PSU is really solid).

I have chosen Asus ProArt Z490 Creator over Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D because I felt it will give better video editing and rendering support. So spending extra bucks is not an issue as I need every ounce of performance from my CPU and GPU for my professional work.

Yeah, I will go for good brand; won't go for any brand. It is really important to have solid PSU as it supplies power to every components. Thanks for the feedback 😀