So, my 3900X is borked. Right?

Here's what happened.

Upgraded to AMD from a 5820K.

Didn't have the AMD brackets for my H115i.

Installed it with the wraith.

Bought brackets.

When removing wraith, CPU came off the socket with it.

Bent some pins.

Fixed pins.

It now boots, but no longer reads all 4 memory sticks. (4x16gb = 64gb)

Memory training errors, tested every single memory stick (Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz).

All of them work in slots A1 or A2. B1 or B2 get ignored.

RMA'd motherboard, got new one.

No memory training errors anymore, BUT now it won't POST when there's anything in slots B1 or B2.

So, I conclude it was both the mobo and the CPU and now that I have a new mobo, it's the CPU, right?

Here's some WEIRD Geekbench test results:

unknown.png?width=812&height=143

unknown.png?width=812&height=101

Help.

I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

Could be a broken memory channel

Check the cpu if they are damaged 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Definitely going to be the CPU, if the pins were bent enough some could have separated or broke, could even still be slightly bent enough that they are not making good enough contact with the socket. I would double check them again for any other bent or broken pins, even if it's just slightly bent, it needs to be as straight as possible. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Definitely going to be the CPU, if the pins were bent enough some could have separated or broke, could even still be slightly bent enough that they are not making good enough contact with the socket. I would double check them again for any other bent or broken pins, even if it's just slightly bent, it needs to be as straight as possible. 

^^^ This. And welcome to AM4, the ole "let's have the CPU be held in by its own pins instead of locking it down so it won't get pulled out by the cooler). Was the same on other AM sockets too 😔

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Yeah I've re-seated it and checked it around 10 times now.
I'm getting it replaced, luckily it's still under warranty.

For science though, I just realized this is now a new motherboard and the drivers are probably outdated. I just updated them and ran Geekbench again:
Bottom is before chipset driver update.
Top is after.

Still low AF, though.

image.thumb.png.511bca77d49d26a107709ad42516e8a9.png

11 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

Yeah I've re-seated it and checked it around 10 times now.

For science though, I just realized this is now a new motherboard and the drivers are probably outdated. I just updated them and ran Geekbench again:
Bottom is before chipset driver update.
Top is after.

Still low AF, though.

image.thumb.png.511bca77d49d26a107709ad42516e8a9.png

Not really,

I am running a 3900x, my single core is 1272, and my Multi-Core is 11308, running a 4.3g all core OC on 16gb of 3600mhz RAM.

There is a roughly 50pt difference in single core, which is about 3% and 15% on all cores, but if you are running at stock, that wouldn't be surprising.

25 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ This. And welcome to AM4, the ole "let's have the CPU be held in by its own pins instead of locking it down so it won't get pulled out by the cooler). Was the same on other AM sockets too 😔

Excuse to get TR4 cuz it's BOLTED DOWN? Lol

(Honestly though, I might do it)

1 minute ago, Dravinian said:

Not really,

I am running a 3900x, my single core is 1272, and my Multi-Core is 11308, running a 4.3g all core OC on 16gb of 3600mhz RAM.

There is a roughly 50pt difference in single core, which is about 3% and 15% on all cores, but if you are running at stock, that wouldn't be surprising.

What about my two memory channels that don't work?
The mobo is brand new now, so...

1 minute ago, GM Rod said:

The mobo isn't the problem 

The bent pins had to do with the memory channels of the cpu ( most likely )

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, GM Rod said:

Sorry, the way the posts played out, I thought you had got that working again.

That is probably because you bent the pins on the CPU, but even if you hadn't, would more RAM make that much of a difference in GeekBench? It is a CPU test, not a memory test.

Also looking at the site and comparing, sure I think your single core performance is down, it should be higher than mine, not lower, but that could be any number of factors not related to your memory.

The reason your single core should be higher, is that your CPU should boost to a high clock than mine, because mine is locked at 4.3 maximu, but yours should be able to clock to 4.6.

Have you downloaded and installed the AMD chipset drivers?

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The mobo isn't the problem 

The bent pins had to do with the memory channels of the cpu ( most likely )

It was though, the memory training errors went away when I replaced it.
It was also booting with all 4 RAM sticks in, but it was still seeing only 32gb, so like the B channels were DEAD.
The new one, doesn't POST with sticks in B slots so now I think it's just the CPU.

9 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Sorry, the way the posts played out, I thought you had got that working again.

That is probably because you bent the pins on the CPU, but even if you hadn't, would more RAM make that much of a difference in GeekBench? It is a CPU test, not a memory test.

Also looking at the site and comparing, sure I think your single core performance is down, it should be higher than mine, not lower, but that could be any number of factors not related to your memory.

The reason your single core should be higher, is that your CPU should boost to a high clock than mine, because mine is locked at 4.3 maximu, but yours should be able to clock to 4.6.

Have you downloaded and installed the AMD chipset drivers?

Yes I have.

I said so in a previous comment and even posted the new test results, it went up by about 1000.

Still doesn't fix the two memory channels problem...

Also, I'm aware more RAM won't make a difference in tests.

That is not why I need the RAM to work.

I mean first of all i bought 64 so I want them to WORK. They were working before the cooler accident.

But, it's also VERY relevant to my After Effects workflow. Previews man...

Just now, GM Rod said:

Yes I have.

I said so in a previous comment and even posted the new test results, it went up by about 1000.

Still doesn't fix the two memory channels problem...

Whether it fixes it or not, is frankly irrelevant, you bent the pins, what do you think we can advise to fix that after you already bent them back?  You also said a replacement was on the way.

38 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

The issue is not whether your memory channels are working, the issue is that you posted a score and said it was low af.

I was pointing out that yes, it may be low on a single core - hard to say on multi-core but doesn't look great, and that is not likely to be related to your memory channels.

So if you do get another cpu, and the low score is related to something else, then you still going to get the low score - just now you will have 64gb of RAM with a low CPU score.

1 minute ago, Dravinian said:

Whether it fixes it or not, is frankly irrelevant, you bent the pins, what do you think we can advise to fix that after you already bent them back?  You also said a replacement was on the way.

The issue is not whether your memory channels are working, the issue is that you posted a score and said it was low af.

I was pointing out that yes, it may be low on a single core - hard to say on multi-core but doesn't look great, and that is not likely to be related to your memory channels.

So if you do get another cpu, and the low score is related to something else, then you still going to get the low score - just now you will have 64gb of RAM with a low CPU score.

Then I'll tackle the score after... getting the memory to work is priority.

The post was basically to confirm I actually have to replace the CPU.

Because that means I'll be sending this one back and until I get the new one, I'll have no PC.

I was trying to make sure I have to go through that.

I guess that's a yes.

Well that is your choice, but if I had a CPU that wasn't performing correctly, and I also had another problem - I would want to make sure the two were not related by trying to eliminate the performance problem.

You have bent pins, you put them back, you have an issue, but it isn't the only issue.

It could be the bent pins are responsible for your poor performance, or it could be a different problem that is also affecting your RAM.

Given that you will be without a PC while you wait for a replacement CPU, it would make sense to eliminate or at least identify any problems before you put yourself in that position - just in case they correct the memory problem, when you correct that problem.

12 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Well that is your choice, but if I had a CPU that wasn't performing correctly, and I also had another problem - I would want to make sure the two were not related by trying to eliminate the performance problem.

You have bent pins, you put them back, you have an issue, but it isn't the only issue.

It could be the bent pins are responsible for your poor performance, or it could be a different problem that is also affecting your RAM.

Given that you will be without a PC while you wait for a replacement CPU, it would make sense to eliminate or at least identify any problems before you put yourself in that position - just in case they correct the memory problem, when you correct that problem.

Definitely, yes.

Anything else I should try?