Looking at starting with a new email address

A-1_2

Hi All,

So I am looking at starting with a new email address.

My current email address is 14 years old, I've signed up to who knows amount of services with it, which in result has left the address getting spammed with everything, furthering that Outlooks spam filter seems to be getting worse.

So first, im looking at switching to gmail over outlook this time, Google one seems quite good, also google has a great photo app, drive, document stuff youtube, youtube music, and everything else, plus later this year I am thinking of moving from iOS to Android with the release of the pixel 4a, and eventually a chromebook instead of an iPad.

And for signing up to new services I am looking at using an alias generator like simple login or annonaddy, this way I can keep spam minimal.

I'm not too bothered about services tied to my old account, ill be moving any online services I use daily to alias addresses and making that forward to the new gmail.

What else would you recommend when moving to an entirely new email?

Many Thanks!

Use the one from your ISP (you can prob make a new one there) and create aliases for it (i can make 10 for 1 email account)

You can change and make rules for each alias if needed.

For example 1 alias is for single time signups i will never use again and it has a whitelist rule.

5 minutes ago, A-1_2 said:

which in result has left the address getting spammed with everything,

You could click on the "Unsubscribe" - link on any legit services, you know.

6 minutes ago, A-1_2 said:

furthering that Outlooks spam filter seems to be getting worse

Have you, I dunno, moved the spam-mails into the spam-folder? Anything you move into the spam-folder is used to help train the filter automatically, so if you've just let all the spam collect in your inbox or just deleted them, you haven't done anything to make things better.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You could click on the "Unsubscribe" - link on any legit services, you know.

Have you, I dunno, moved the spam-mails into the spam-folder? Anything you move into the spam-folder is used to help train the filter automatically, so if you've just let all the spam collect in your inbox or just deleted them, you haven't done anything to make things better.

I've unsubscribed from legit services, that bit isnt the issue, its the random crap I get from randomly generated hotmails, I mark them as junk and more keep coming, around 30 a day.

There is a known issue with outlook spam filters, but Microsoft havent fixed it it seems.

9 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Use the one from your ISP (you can prob make a new one there) and create aliases for it (i can make 10 for 1 email account)

For example 1 alias is for single time signups i will never use again and it has a whitelist rule.

Why ISP email address?

Just now, A-1_2 said:

There is a known issue with outlook spam filters, but Microsoft havent fixed it it seems.

Are you talking about the Outlook-app or the Outlook/Hotmail email-service? I have had an email-account there for longer than your 14 years and moving spam-mail into the Spam-folder works fine for me, but I am not using the Outlook-app.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Use the one from your ISP

I'm not sure if that's a good idea for if you ever wanted to change to a different ISP.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

8 minutes ago, Dujith said:

This is (sort of) something you can do with gmail, too. Gmail allows you to put a + after your address, and anything after it gets ignored, so you can have unlimited aliases, e.g. example+ltt@example.com, example+facebook@example.com, example+insertwebsitenamehere@example.com, etc. Also, dots are ignored in gmail, which gives an aliasing option for websites whose email regex doesn't allow the +, e.g. ex.ample@example.com == exam.ple@example.com == e.x.a.m.p.l.e@example.com.

Additionally, not all ISPs provide a free email address. In many cases you have to pay extra for an ISP email address.

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I'm not sure if that's a good idea for if you ever wanted to change to a different ISP.

This is why I always recommend people to not use ISP-provided email.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Are you talking about the Outlook-app or the Outlook/Hotmail email-service? I have had an email-account there for longer than your 14 years and moving spam-mail into the Spam-folder works fine for me, but I am not using the Outlook-app.

I believe its the hotmail service, app makes no difference I believe, Ive seen a lot of reports, some users are affected, others are not, unfortunately it seems I am one of those affected, not sure why.

16 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

This is (sort of) something you can do with gmail, too. Gmail allows you to put a + after your address, and anything after it gets ignored, so you can have unlimited aliases, e.g. example+ltt@example.com, example+facebook@example.com, example+insertwebsitenamehere@example.com, etc. Also, dots are ignored in gmail, which gives an aliasing option for websites whose email regex doesn't allow the +, e.g. ex.ample@example.com == exam.ple@example.com == e.x.a.m.p.l.e@example.com.

Additionally, not all ISPs provide a free email address. In many cases you have to pay extra for an ISP email address.

Thats a good idea, Simple logon does the same, however I can turn it on or off if needed, say I sign up for Twitter and I want updates I can turn them on, but say I sign up to amazon and dont want updates, I can turn that specific address forwarding off.

Most of the free email providers out there offer services that are far better than most ISP emails. I do not recommend ISP emails at all.

Google, Microsoft, iCloud (if you're Apple), etc are usually the best choices. Yahoo used to be good but has really gone downhill over the last .... well many years.

I personally use FastMail. I want to pay for a service that does not harvest my data (if you're not paying for it, you are the product being sold). I have several domains and use about 10 email addresses with FastMail. The company is in Australia and I've been using them for many years now and absolutely enjoy it. What I like is, I can have unlimited aliases under my domains.

Out of all the email spam catching - Google seems to be by far the best. But if you're handing out your email address to every input box that asks for it, even Google's spam filters won't catch them all.

Like others on this thread mentioned - most spam catch services need to "learn" - drag emails there, mark emails as spam, and over time, the spam filters will learn what to catch.