Wired Home Network

I am currently in the process of renovating my garage into an additional room. My PC is being moved out there. I am taking this opportunity to wire my house with Ethernet. I know I will want 20 ports throughout the house right off the bat. This also needs to be able to accommodate my mesh WiFi. I know enough to be able to get on Amazon, buy a box, plug the wires in, route them throughout the house, yada yada. But I don't know what little details I should be on the lookout for. So I'm hoping y'all can help.

I don't need anything fancy. I do edit video for a YouTube channel but I'm not sending 4K files to a rendering server or anything, so if not getting 10 Gigabit will save me some cash I prefer to just get something that will do the job and upgrade later if things come to that. Most of what we do is gaming on PC and consoles, and Netflix, YouTube, the normal stuff. I am going to be starting a small electronics and PC repair side hustle, so there will occasionally customers PCs on the network. I also want to be able to add additional Ethernet lines if I need to, so something bigger than 24 ports would be nice.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, HugeCowPatty said:

This also needs to be able to accommodate my mesh WiFi.

If your running ethernet, no reson to use a amesh system, use access points with a wired backhaul

Do you wnt poe? 

You cn get those switches cheaper used, but they normlly used more power.

If your making a subnet for untrusted pcs, you probably want a serpate subnet on the router that only connects to the wan, and won't be able to touch your devices. A managed switch with vlans will make this much easier to setup and manage.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your running ethernet, no reson to use a amesh system, use access points with a wired backhaul

Do you wnt poe? 

You cn get those switches cheaper used, but they normlly used more power.

If your making a subnet for untrusted pcs, you probably want a serpate subnet on the router that only connects to the wan, and won't be able to touch your devices. A managed switch with vlans will make this much easier to setup and manage.

I already have a mesh WiiFi network. See no reason to get rid of it. Plenty of phones, tablets, and handheld game systems that benefit from it.

I had not even considered a subnet for untrusted PCs. I suppose that's something I should at the very least consider since I'm planning to one day have some I'm working to repair. Don't know anything about them though.

Just now, HugeCowPatty said:

I already have a mesh WiiFi network. See no reason to get rid of it. Plenty of phones, tablets, and handheld game systems that benefit from it.

I had not even considered a subnet for untrusted PCs. I suppose that's something I should at the very least consider since I'm planning to one day have some I'm working to repair. Don't know anything about them though.

Does your mesh system support using ethernet for the backhaul? Doing that can increase wifi speed and use less sprectrum

What router do you have? Id get something like a mikrotik or a edge router or pfsense  that are made for setting multiple subnets, unlike most home routers.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does your mesh system support using ethernet for the backhaul? Doing that can increase wifi speed and use less sprectrum

What router do you have? Id get something like a mikrotik or a edge router or pfsense  that are made for setting multiple subnets, unlike most home routers.

I currently have a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem going into a Eero WiFi Mesh system. My desktop is currently hardwired to that through a little 4 port switch my wife brought from her work after they went out of business. That is about all I know about it.

3 minutes ago, HugeCowPatty said:

I currently have a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem going into a Eero WiFi Mesh system. My desktop is currently hardwired to that through a little 4 port switch my wife brought from her work after they went out of business. That is about all I know about it.

You could keep the modem as is. Here is a good router: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3VICDSHGOVZVV&dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti+router&qid=1592250422&sprefix=ubiq%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

2 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Forgive my ignorance. If I have the 24 port switch, what would I need this for? Do I not just plug the modem into a port on the switch? Or do I have to plug it into a router and then the router into the switch? And if that is the case, could I not just use one of the ports on the back of Eero Mesh Network Base to plug into the switch?

Forgive my ignorance. If I have the 24 port switch, what would I need this for? Do I not just plug the modem into a port on the switch? Or do I have to plug it into a router and then the router into the switch? And if that is the case, could I not just use one of the ports on the back of Eero Mesh Network Base to plug into the switch?

So. Most home consumers run into something called a Modem/Router combo. 

A modem router combo is a router + modem + switch. It provides your home with wifi, and let's you plug in ethernet devices. All the modem does is that it decodes the ISP signal so your devices can understand it. 

Now the good person would do is get 3 things:

- Modem

- Router

- Switch

The modem will decode your ISP signal which you plug into the router. 

The router handles giving your devices IP Addresses, and routing the internet traffic, but won't provide WiFi, unless you get one with wifi. Some routers have built in switches, usually 4 ports which let you plug in your devices

Then all the switch does, it takes in the router, then allows you to have more ports to use. 

Additionally, an access point gives the wifi to your devices. But if you are ethernet only, then access point not required. 

--

My setup for instance is that my Motorola Modem handles decoding the signal, but then my router routes the traffic and acts as an access point and switch. 

7 minutes ago, HugeCowPatty said:

If your Eero Mesh Network base is a router, then plug the switch into it. You plug the base of the Mesh into the modem. 

Also, my suggestion would be to have 2 routers. One router for your home traffic. But then another router for your customer PC's. Both routers plug into the modem (assuming modem has 2 ports). Or you can do a VLAN solution, which I never ran into. 

OK. So there does need to be a router between the modem and the switch. And since I bought my own modem that is not also a router, I need a router. And then the switch is to the router what a power strip does for an electrical outlet. So, if my Eero system works as a router (I think it does), I can use the Ethernet port on the back of that to plug into the switch and it'll handle it.

Did I get that right?

Just now, Nano Adam said:

If your Eero Mesh Network base is a router, then plug the switch into it. You plug the base of the Mesh into the modem. 

Also, my suggestion would be to have 2 routers. One router for your home traffic. But then another router for your customer PC's. Both routers plug into the modem (assuming modem has 2 ports). Or you can do a VLAN solution, which I never ran into. 

My modem has one port. Sounds like if I get one of these switches I at least have everything I need to get my home network up and running. And I can cross the bridge of what to do with a customer PC when I get there. I may be a few months away from that even being an issue.

I appreciate all the help! I'm sure I'll be back to ask about subnets and all that jazz later!

My modem has one port. Sounds like if I get one of these switches I at least have everything I need to get my home network up and running. And I can cross the bridge of what to do with a customer PC when I get there. I may be a few months away from that even being an issue.

Find a 4 port switch, and connect that to your modem, then two routers from that switch. I would suggest the router to have enough ports as you will need for the customer PC's. Or, let's say in Room 1 you work on customers pc's, then have a wire straight from the modem switch to that room, and have a router in there connected, that way you can unplug the router whenever you don't need it easily. 

Then the other router for your home, connect the 24-port switch to the home router, and then setup the rest however you like! 

I suggest two routers since I would personally spend the bit of extra money for that. I am not experienced in VLAN, so I don't know if I would take that route or not! 

1 minute ago, Nano Adam said:

Find a 4 port switch, and connect that to your modem, then two routers from that switch. I would suggest the router to have enough ports as you will need for the customer PC's. Or, let's say in Room 1 you work on customers pc's, then have a wire straight from the modem switch to that room, and have a router in there connected, that way you can unplug the router whenever you don't need it easily. 

Then the other router for your home, connect the 24-port switch to the home router, and then setup the rest however you like! 

I suggest two routers since I would personally spend the bit of extra money for that. I am not experienced in VLAN, so I don't know if I would take that route or not! 

Sounds like an excellent solution to me! 

Sounds like an excellent solution to me! 

If you have any future questions, feel free to contact me or here on the forum! 

27 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Ummm, actually that won't work. The modem will hand out a public IP to the first device that asks for it and any additional requests are ignored leaving half your network without access to the internet. You want modem > router > switch

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ummm, actually that won't work. The modem will hand out a public IP to the first device that asks for it and any additional requests are ignored leaving half your network without access to the internet. You want modem > router > switch

I am speaking about that the router will handle any devices. It is modem > router > switch. 

19 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

I am speaking about that the router will handle any devices. It is modem > router > switch. 

You said:

Find a 4 port switch, and connect that to your modem, then two routers from that switch.

That implies going modem > switch > 2x routers, which, as I said, will not work.

The single port modem is not a combo unit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You said:

That implies going modem > switch > 2x routers, which, as I said, will not work.

The single port modem is not a combo unit.

I remember seeing that happening in action. 

44 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

I remember seeing that happening in action. 

It only works if your isp is giving you more than one ip address. 

A mikrotik or similar managed switch that can use vlan is a better (and cleaner) solution.