do gaming periferals matter

Jasonbas

do gaming periferals matter  

14 members have voted

1. 1. your choise

• yes they do
    • no they dont

i am a gamer but i ve been playing with a normal keyboard and a normal mouse of like 20$ each. so do they matter or not your choise

They do. 

'Gaming mice' are designed to have a high-dpi so they have to have good sensors, which will improve accuracy.

Keyboards are personal preference.

i feel like they dont mice might make a difference but a mouse is a mouse 

for gaming mice, yes. gaming mice are designed to track well and give 1:1 movement with your hand.

keyboard as @gloop said are personal preference.

headsets? maybe, if you prefer to have the mic attached to your headset. 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Oswin said:

headsets? maybe, if you prefer to have the mic attached to your headset. 

the only advantage i can think of is that some headsets would have is 3d audio for games where positioning is key.

On mice they do. Especially those that needs all those buttons. I play a lot of moba, rts and fps games and i tend to take advantage of the high dpi and macros to increase my apm. 

Gaming headsets tends to give lots of advantage to some games and even immersion to most. An example would be rainbow six siege where a simple headset would loose out on pinpointing the position of the enemy via footsteps. 

Another is optional but works on people that loves racing games. Stirring wheels. Otherwise, not really important.

On the keyboard side of things, it depends. As for me, switching to a mechanical keyboard helped me a lot on the accuracy of the key presses.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

the only advantage i can think of is that some headsets would have is 3d audio for games where positioning is key.

yeah, but most of them are a bit on the pricier side. 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

No from my experience as anything can be labeled gaming.  Its just a cliché term to get sales.

I like a mouse that fits right in my hand, can DPI switch on the fly and has 5 buttons.  If its labeled gaming then so be it.

As for keyboards, I cant tell the diff between mechanical, mem-chanical, and membrane in regards to gaming.

Headsets?  I like them because it closes out more external sounds (I have kids) so that I can catch the small sounds during competitive gameplay.  So not really an edge just my environment prefers them.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Mice's definitely have an impact on performance, dpi and apm really matter. Keyboards are up to preferance

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

As for keyboards, I cant tell the diff between mechanical, mem-chanical, and membrane in regards to gaming.

I can tell since membrane keyboards tend to have this times where if you didnt press hard enough, the keypress wont register. Which is why mechs tend to be preferable in games as one simple key press that didnt register affects the outcome of the game.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Just now, MartinKweh said:

I can tell since membrane keyboards tend to have this times where if you didnt press hard enough, the keypress wont register. Which is why mechs tend to be preferable in gamers as one simple key press that didnt register affects the outcome of the game.

I have one of each (and then some on keybs) and personally I cant tell a difference at all.  I tried to like mechanical.  In the end its just louder.  Maybe I am already a heavy handed button presser, dunno

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

I have one of each (and then some on keybs) and personally I cant tell a difference at all.  I tried to like mechanical.  In the end its just louder.  Maybe I am already a heavy handed button presser, dunno

Might be. But the fact that mechs (i use red switch ) will have lighter or heavier feel than membrane keyboards. In my case, reds , which is pretty light. 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

Just now, MartinKweh said:

Might be. But the fact that mechs (i use red switch ) will have lighter or heavier feel than membrane keyboards. In my case, reds , which is pretty light. 

*will have lighter or heavier* - that's an odd statement, because swinging either way changes the entire feel of a keyb.  

Reds for me (Cherry MX Reds soldered to the board is my experience with them) felt clunky and loud.  Actuation seemed nice and responsive but again, nothing I don't see in a membrane keyboard personally

The only "peripheral" in my personal control that I can see leaps and bounds of improvement is getting the lowest possible latency for competitive gameplay.  While I love my mouse (8 setting on the fly DPI, weighted, 5 buttons) it was only $5 shipped to my door on black Friday, so even though its labeled gaming (it does have a bad ass sensor, which is why I bought it) it didn't fit into that budget bracket for me

Im sorry. English isnt really my first language so i might have worded that wrong lol. I meant mechs depending on the switch will have lighter or heavier feel than the membrane keys. But eh. In the end, its up to the person's preferences

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

-> Moved to Peripherals

Not really for gaming. The term "gaming" is mainly marketing. In anything you may see it. Be it gaming chair, gaming headset, gaming case or such. With mouse (and keyboard) it was at one point the tier up from basic consumer stuff. And one before actual heavy office use stuff. So more durability, better ergonomics, more accurate sensor. Same was with keyboards before mechanical keyboards became mainstream. And after that gaming in keyboards meant RGB and some macro buttons.

I've had gaming mouse, gaming keyboard and gaming headset. Also gaming mousepads. Mice are still something I will go for as the price is bit cheaper than what similarly specs office mouse would have, with better ergonomics for my big hands and palm grip. Plus weight as I like 'em heavy. Keyboards, well, it had macro buttons, backlight and detachable numpad. Of those the numpad was the reason why I went for TKL mech. Didn't thought I needed anything else, but I'm happy it had backlight, and now I even have use for media keys. The gaming headset was s*. It is midrange back then, mic snapped off fairly quickly. But the main reason I use HD-555 instead is that they are bit too tight for my head and audio is garbage. The mousepads is another where I can take the gaming stamp easily. I like smooth surface, which is why I have had them in use for years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@Jasonbas Yes they matter. you cant game if you have a keyboard that has unresponsive keys. I suggest the Razer Turret, and the Razer Basalisk x Hyperspeed. The Razer turrets mouse isnt that good, because if you break the cables, you cant buy new ones.

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

A lot of times "gaming" just means the company threw some tacky lights on it and jacked up the price a lot. But sometimes "gaming" actually has some meaning. But as always, it's best to judge each product individually without taking things like marketing into consideration. Never buy a product because it says "gaming" on the box.