NVIDIA Driver | PopOS

Hi guys,

i wanted to make out of an old laptop a little Steam Link Maschine to play in the living room.

All worked out pretty well with the nvidia version. I just got still issues with my grapics card.

This laptop got an old GTX 630M and I tried to get it running, but the nvidia x server settings show up empty and also nvidia-settings shows that the driver is not running.

Does anybody know, how to get this solved?

Would it help to install an old driver?

Best

Andreas

CPU: i5 8400 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ | MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12S | CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 | KB: Logitech G213 PRODIGY | MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO | MONITOR: LG 27GL850‑B

According to the Nvidia Drivers download page for your card, support was dropped for the 630M. The last known working driver is 418.113

What Distro are you using?

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

DOes your laptop has optimus? 

Whats does lspci | grep VGA show?

Yes to the optimus:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] (rev a1)

I'm using popOS.

CPU: i5 8400 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ | MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12S | CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 | KB: Logitech G213 PRODIGY | MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO | MONITOR: LG 27GL850‑B

Just now, AndreasS said:

Yes to the optimus:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] (rev a1)

I'm using popOS.

then drivers are gonna be a bit different. Follow the optimus guides out there.

If you just using it to stream games, You probably don't even need the gpu, and the igpu is fine.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then drivers are gonna be a bit different. Follow the optimus guides out there.

If you just using it to stream games, You probably don't even need the gpu, and the igpu is fine.

Do you know a good guide? 

That's true. It is only my curiosity, which now wants to make this work :D

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think you still need to use bumblebee. here is a guide https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation

Hi guys,

short update, since the laptop had also some other issues, I stopped working on this project.

But thanks for your support.

Best

Andreas