Minimum pump flow rate.

Hi I am just getting into custom water cooling and I plan on purchasing this kit https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-classic-kit-p360-d-rgb. I noticed that the pump included only has a flow rate of 250 L/h and this seems low relative to other pumps on the market. I am just wondering how important is the flow rate and what the minimum flow rate that I should be looking for if I was to add a GPU waterblock and another 240 rad to this kit.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I have missed any relevant information. 

32 minutes ago, Raddic said:

It will not hurt performance. Only make it a bit more tedious to get the air bled from the system. Having said that, it is still sufficient for the needs of the kit and some more room for expansion.

I use a enermax neo pump and its amazing, I have to gpu to 120mm rad 30mm to cpu to 360mm 60mm rad, I use the pump always at 1500rpm and it goes all the way to 4500rpm, Fan are always off until 50c pc at idle theres no sound at all, I play magic arena and with that pc is just silente. 

I think its a good pump and has rgb and a remote 

I've just changed from that pump to a d5.

In my old loop it would do 105lph at full speed (1x120 thick rad, 1x280 medium thick rad, 1x240 thin and two blocks)

My old old itx loop was 1x240 and two blocks - that hit 180lph

The new loop is the same but the thick 120 changed over for a 40mm thick 360.

The D5 at 100% will hit 220lph .

Speeds measured with an aqua computer high flow meter and a quadro.

All the speeds quoted by the manuals are with no restrictions and useless in real world stuff

On 6/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, Raddic said:

Hi I am just getting into custom water cooling and I plan on purchasing this kit https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-classic-kit-p360-d-rgb. I noticed that the pump included only has a flow rate of 250 L/h and this seems low relative to other pumps on the market. I am just wondering how important is the flow rate and what the minimum flow rate that I should be looking for if I was to add a GPU waterblock and another 240 rad to this kit.

1GPM is the target.

250L/H is over 1 GPM.

While 1GPM is the target, its fine if your below that, u dont want to go any lower than 0.5 GPM for sure, infact i'd suggest sticking to a minimum of 0.7GPM. That said, anything over 1GPM results in significantly diminishing returns in cooling performance.

Remember that the pumps flow rate will be impacted by loop restriction, so any given measurement unless stated otherwise, is the unrestricted flow rate the pump can achieve.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1gpm is fine.

But I can honestly say that my loop has very little temp difference between 225lph and 50lph

I have an spc60 mx pumpres combo, and it seems like the new drgb aios have an improved spc in them (seen in GN teardown video). I saw a video where the guy refilled his generic asetek aio, and based off that my spc60's flow rate at starting rpm (through 2 240mm rads and 1 cpu block) is higher the asetek aio's at maximum.

Mine seems like 3 times as strong as the asetek at 100%, so I'm sure the drgb aio is even better.

With an added gpu block and 240 rad the flow would be better than in a normal asetek aio. If their's is good enough, an expanded ekwb drgb kit will be a lot better than good enough.

I'm sure if, for whatever reason, the drgb aio's pump failed, you could just remove the impeller and install a separate pump in the loop (though I'd say it's highely unlikely, because my old spc's been running flawlessly for the past 4 years)

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

Everything above 60 l/h is fine. My d5 runs at 60% and creates about 120 - 125 l/h of flow. The water temperature never exceeds 3° C above ambient.

Imho radiator capacity is more important then pump speed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.