Is IPS fine for me?

Daneel

I want to upgrade my old tv to a new one. Main usage: lan streaming from media server, pc and phone.

I was lloking at an LG 49SM8600PLA.

It has an IPS panel and I was wondering if it's fine in my watching conditions:

- I mainly watch things at night as that is the time I sit in bed and watch content

The problem that I heard about is light dimming and some dark color problems, but what I don't know: for an untrained eye (aka non expert) will that be that bad? Can it be solved with image settings?

Thanks

I see. What about VA? 

PS: come on, TN is not that bad :D i have a TN panel on my main monitor on pc and it's fine :) I don't know about TVs tho

I am in the middle of buying my first IPS monitor right now and I couldn't be more happy with it.  Current monitor is a TN and I am finally going to give these poor old eye a treat.  Stick with the IPS, you won't be disappointed.

I see. So your point is that as a monitor IPS is better. What about a tv tho in dark room. This confuses me too much. Not being able to get an oled is a pain :D

2 hours ago, Daneel said:

I want to upgrade my old tv to a new one. Main usage: lan streaming from media server, pc and phone.

I was lloking at an LG 49SM8600PLA.

It has an IPS panel and I was wondering if it's fine in my watching conditions:

- I mainly watch things at night as that is the time I sit in bed and watch content

The problem that I heard about is light dimming and some dark color problems, but what I don't know: for an untrained eye (aka non expert) will that be that bad? Can it be solved with image settings?

Thanks

Contrast isn't really a problem for most who want to use IPS in the dark (yes, it's bad, yes you will notice it, no it won't be that much worse than VA and unless you're Linus you will most likely not have a problem with it when actually watching a content)

It's the IPS glow that have the potential to be a real problem in dark scene. In some monitor (my LG 4k) it can be so bad that it negates the IPS viewing agle advantage completely if the scene is dark enough. It remains a problem even in a bright room.

Moving around in the room with a monitor with an IPS glow actually feel like you are using a TN panel, the colour doesn't really shift but this white glows just keep follow you as you move the watch angle like a TN wave. 

That said, it's not always happen and should be fine in most scene. But as always, it's better to try the TV out in person before you committed to any buy.