Cheap powersupply

SHADFAN
Go to solution Solved by Haro,
Just now, Oliver oni said:

so why would I do that?

This 20 dollar PSU is not worth it 

Getting lunch for 20 dollars is more Worth it 

Is the 20 dollar mercury 550 watts psu good for a budget gaming pc. Here are the specs:

Intel core i5 8500

2x4gb RAM 2666mhz 

1 ssd 240 gb

1 hdd 1 tb

ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

MOBO: GIGABYTE B365M DS3H

BOLD not ITALIC

3 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

Is the 20 dollar mercury 550 watts psu good for a budget gaming pc. Here are the specs:

I would not trust it lol 

Get a VS450 if you want a cheap PSU unit 

Or maybe something like the straight power 400 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I would not trust it lol 

Get a VS450 if you want a cheap PSU unit 

Or maybe something like the straight power 400 

Why are not they trusted tho?

BOLD not ITALIC

1 minute ago, Oliver oni said:

Why are not they trusted tho?

It's 20 dollars 

Review says that it's cheap 

Not reliable 

Unless you would take this risk ( I wouldn't) 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

It's 20 dollars 

Review says that it's cheap 

Not reliable 

Unless you would take this risk ( I wouldn't) 

No I meant why is it risky to buy a cheap psu

BOLD not ITALIC

Bang bang goes your system

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

It could go on fire 

It could explode and it could kill the machine 

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

Intel core i5 8500

2x4gb RAM 2666mhz 

1 ssd 240 gb

1 hdd 1 tb

ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

MOBO: GIGABYTE B365M DS3H

Where do you live. PSU prices vary wildly by region. Your system doesn't use very much power at all though... 

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

It could go on fire 

The most likely scenario is just the PSU failing silently, with the PC powering down and needing a new one before it'll power back up.

The "you're having a bad day" scenario is a loud noise or two followed by magic smoke and a system that never boots again.

An actual PSU fire is exceedingly rare, IIRC

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The most likely scenario is just the PSU failing silently, with the PC powering down and needing a new one.

True but it could still happen and personally atleast for me I would avoid it 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

It could go on fire 

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

The most likely scenario is just the PSU failing silently, with the PC powering down and needing a new one.

The "you're having a bad day" scenario is a loud noise or two followed by magic smoke and a system that never boots again.

My system does not consume alot of power tho. However, I have a dell optiplex 230 watts psu and the system was running fine.

BOLD not ITALIC

True but it could still happen and personally atleast for me I would avoid it 

Oh yeah, I'm not advocating cheap PSUs at all. I won't lie and say I've never used them in a build, but if I do it's a low-power workstation sort of thing. The odds of your PSU failing are exponentially higher if it's a cheap junk unit or a Corsair SF than they are with a pricier, better built unit. You get what you pay for, and that's truer with the PSU than anywhere else in a system.

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Where do you live. PSU prices vary wildly by region. Your system doesn't use very much power at all though... 

Middle east, pc parts are not cheap here.

BOLD not ITALIC

However, I have a dell optiplex 230 watts psu and the system was running fine.

These are believe it or not most likely higher quality 

How much your system needs doesn't justify that that PSU is poor quality 

Also this is an oem build you can't replace the PSU as it has a proprietary mobo and psu 

Build Log: 

Middle east, pc parts are not cheap here.

What website would you be buying from

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

Also this is an oem build you can't replace the PSU as it has a proprietary mobo and psu 

Adapters do exist for the proprietary Optiplex motherboard/CPU power connectors, but AFAIK unless you have one that came with your PC, they can be pretty damn hard to find.

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

The psu isnt replaceable unless I also replace the motherboard which what am I doing anyways.

BOLD not ITALIC

2 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

My system does not consume alot of power tho. However, I have a dell optiplex 230 watts psu and the system was running fine.

Opti PSUs are usually Deltas. Those are some top-class PSUs. Lite-on is another possibility and those are also outstanding units. Yours isn't enough to handle your system, but in general, there are far worse things than a Dell Optiplex PSU (if you have the adapter too)

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

What website would you be buying from

Im not getting them from websites bc of the high shipping price rates to my country and the import fees. Local stores are cheaper but still not really affordable.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Adapters do exist for the proprietary Optiplex motherboard/CPU power connectors, but AFAIK unless you have one that came with your PC, they can be pretty damn hard to find.

Yeah I know these adapters but could not find any of them here.

BOLD not ITALIC

1 minute ago, Oliver oni said:

Im not getting them from websites bc of the high shipping price rates to my country and the import fees. Local stores are cheaper but still not really affordable.

Yeah I know these adapters but could not find any of them here.

Those adapters are usually all over eBay, but that's all future reference. The plus side of Opti PSUs is that if they say 230W, you can put money on them being able to reach and sustain 230W, and probably up to an addition 10-20W if needed. The downside is that 230W is almost certainly not enough for what you've got in your parts list.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Those adapters are usually all over eBay, but that's all future reference. The plus side of Opti PSUs is that if they say 230W, you can put money on them being able to reach and sustain 230W, and probably up to an addition 10-20W if needed. The downside is that 230W is almost certainly not enough for what you've got in your parts list.

Yes that is why am getting a new powersupply.

The cost of buying this adapter and ship it here is almost the same as buying a new powersupply so why would I do that?

I just need a cheap alternative than the dell optiplex 230 watts so it can go with the gigabyte mobo.

BOLD not ITALIC

so why would I do that?

Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

The optiplex psu's are usually of decent qualtiy. The thing with those cheap units is that they lack any form of protection in them so if lets say the power goes out one time or there is some dirty current it will easily get damaged and let it through to your pc damaging the components.

Also all those cheap ones pretty much lie about how much wattage they can push. They can't get anywhere close to it before failing. They are also a lot more likely to fail and take your system with them. They also have a much shorter lifespan.

Pretty much that new psu is worse than your old 230w.

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The optiplex psu's are usually of decent qualtiy. The thing with those cheap units is that they lack any form of protection in them so if lets say the power goes out one time or there is some dirty current it will easily get damaged and let it through to your pc damaging the components.

Also all those cheap ones pretty much lie about how much wattage they can push. They can't get anywhere close to it before failing. They are also a lot more likely to fail and take your system with them. They also have a much shorter lifespan.

Pretty much that new psu is worse than your old 230w.

Okay thanks y'all.

BOLD not ITALIC

39 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

However, I have a dell optiplex 230 watts psu and the system was running fine.

id tryst the Dell optiplex PSU more than that 500w model. as Dell and other OEMs actually ship pretty decent PSUs with the prebuilds