How do I uninstall an Intel stock cooler?

bluecew
Go to solution Solved by CWALD,

after unplugging your fan, turn the four plastic tabs on the corners 90 degrees and pull them up slightly, then the cooler should lift off. This can sometimes be finicky or might not work at all, in that case turn your mother board over and pinch the 4 tabs with pliers to pull them out one by one. You can get it off by breaking these tabs but you will be unable to reuse the cooler then. (Note: it is a pain, be patient with it)  

Planning to upgrade my stock cooler since my processor keeps overheating. I have zero clue when it comes to building computers so I am currently doing research, I just don't know how to uninstall my stock cooler.

after unplugging your fan, turn the four plastic tabs on the corners 90 degrees and pull them up slightly, then the cooler should lift off. This can sometimes be finicky or might not work at all, in that case turn your mother board over and pinch the 4 tabs with pliers to pull them out one by one. You can get it off by breaking these tabs but you will be unable to reuse the cooler then. (Note: it is a pain, be patient with it)  

See at around 1:30 ... Use a flathead screwdriver (or your fingers) to twist each knob in the direction of the arrow. Pull up on all four. The fan may still be somewhat glued to the cpu due to the thermal paste.. gently twisting left and right the heatsink by a small amount will loosen the thermal paste 

Or basically this : Resetting Boxed Intel® Processor Fan Heatsink Push Pins

Step 2

step 4a