Windows 10 password sign-in option missing?

PackYourBaggins

So I reinstalled Windows 10 completely clean a few days ago, and after reinstalling I noticed the option to sign into Windows with my Microsoft password is no longer there. My only sign-in options are: Windows Hello Face, Windows Hello Fingerprint, Windows Hello PIN, and Security Key.

I would prefer to sign in with my password. Has Microsoft decided to take this option away in the latest update for no particular reason? I'm completely up-to-date on Windows 10 (Version 2004, May update).

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

You did login in to your Microsoft account during initial setup before the request for the Facial/Fingerprint/PIN login, right? Even if you enact one of those other options you can still use your Microsoft Account password to unlock Windows by choosing the text field icon in the login options on the login screen. But you are, since a few months, required to enter a PIN or use a secondary login option.

Yes, I 100% signed into my Microsoft account during setup. Also the option to sign in a different way on the login screen is not there. It only allows me to use my PIN.

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

Can you screenshot the lockscreen? Is that even possible?

Not sure about a screenshot, but I do have a picture I took with my phone here though. As you can see, the only option there is "I forgot my PIN."

WindowsSignIn_LI.jpg

Just now, Benji said:

What happens when you click that? Do you maybe get the option to log in with your password?

Maybe that's new with 2004 because I certainly still have the button for alternative login option on 1909.

Yeah, I clicked on it and I then logged in with my Microsoft account info, but it just took me to a PIN recovery thing. It didn't allow me to choose a different sign-in option for Windows.

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Oh, wow. That sucks. You could also try to go to the account settings and remove the PIN. I don't know if that will work.

The option to remove it is grayed out. Presumably because it's my only sign-in method at the moment.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

How does that settings menu that I shared look like on your PC?

Like this. Only 4 sign-in options.

AIUshfiusahggf.png

18 minutes ago, Benji said:

Try to disable the "Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts" option. That option seems to be new as I don't have that. That might also allow you to use your Microsoft account password for login if it lets you disable it.

Oh my god. I can't believe I didn't even read that. I can now sign in with my password. My body is young, but my mind is like 85 years old 🤦‍♂️