Boot loop & Windows for FREE!?

28 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Hey guys. I saw a car today - was open (I check that) and keys was inside. Is that means it's free car and I can get it and drive without buying it?

I think grand theft auto and not activating Windows are two VERY different things @homeap5.

What I said is this boot loop is NOT my fault. If you want to get "technical" then it's essentially the manufacturers (Microsoft) fault, since a piece of software, which I PAID for SHOULD work. Instead what I get is (not sure if you read what I wrote, I guess you did not) an endless boot loop, which as far as I know and experienced would not be fixable (have tried literally everything), if I didn't have the two BIOS chips (for some reason) - now I know BIOS usually has very little to do with your OS or updating your OS, but this is what worked for me, as far as getting back into Windows is concerned. Like many in this thread have pointed out, it likely has something to do with the actual update being corrupt or something in software not working properly (let me point out I tried downloading the update manually etc.), which, again IT SHOULD - at least at the end of the day. But obviously software is incredibly complex, especially when you have to factor in Windows works with pretty much any piece of hardware out there today. But again, I PAID for it, so I SHOULDN'T be having this issue, if we want to be technical. 

So, Linus is a thief? 

I am not trying to "steal" Windows. I just want to see/test if my computer even works with the newest version, without first spending money only to later find out that it doesn't.

31 minutes ago, gal-m said:

I am not trying to "steal" Windows. I just want to see/test if my computer even works with the newest version, without first spending money only to later find out that it doesn't.

It's not stealing, of course. It's only using it without paying. Small difference, different law, but still - not something we should discuss on forum.

About Win10 compatibility - I don't know what type of computer do you have, but I'm pretty sure there is no manufacturer that release motherboard or cpu, or gpu, or anything that will not work with win10. I'm using win10 on many machines - from old core2duo to new i7 and Ryzen 5 3rd gen. There is no chance that Windows will not working, except when you create your own chipset and motherboard using hammer, nails and wood (but even then I expect that it runs but report that your motherboard has no certified drivers).

Newest version will work the same as previous versions. If you're using previous win10 version, new will work the same and you don't need to use system without activation - just upgrade existing. If you're afraid that something may goes wrong - made image of your current sysem using some good imaging software like Macrium Reflect and then upgrade without any risk.

not something we should discuss on forum.

This is where I completely agree with you. I too am not sure if this kind of thing is appropriate to ask on this forum. I only figured since we're talking about a computer with existing fully paid fully licensed software that it shouldn't be a problem, since we're talking about (essentially) a bit of DIY troubleshooting and/or ideas to get me back up and running (for the time being).

I'm pretty sure there is no manufacturer that release motherboard or cpu, or gpu, or anything that will not work with win10.

Agreed. 

If you're afraid that something may goes wrong - made image of your current sysem using some good imaging software like Macrium Reflect and then upgrade without any risk.

Thank you for the advice, appreciate it! I'll give it a look.

Might leave things as they are at the moment, because I want to finish a couple of projects I'm working on, so I'd rather not F anything up. But when I get all of my things done I'll definitely give some of your guys' options a shot.

Thanks again!

10 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Macrium Reflect

It's a really good software,saved me when my usual backup software gave me troubles.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

21 hours ago, gal-m said:

What I said is this boot loop is NOT my fault. If you want to get "technical" then it's essentially the manufacturers (Microsoft) fault, since a piece of software, which I PAID for SHOULD work.

The key you paid for is irrelevant whether OS works of not. Not saying its your fault it doesn't. Windows has had heaps of issues ever since they got rid of their quality assurance team. You still have the key, and could argue for refund. Or just use it when you get OS working again.

My tip: Never update anything unless you have to (security updates not included). I see all the time people jumping for Windows updates when they come out, and crying when their toys don't work. Whats the rush? Its more likely that there are bugs and issues than update just working. I get those big ones 1-2 months after they are out. All breaking bugs ironed out. I haven't had update related Windows issue in 2 years, maybe more (had GPU issue some 2 years ago).

21 hours ago, gal-m said:

So, Linus is a thief? 

Did you watch the video? That question comes from those who don't watch it. Running Windows for testing purposes without activating is fine, thats why the older ones used to have 30-day trial. The current one doesn't have same strict restriction. Which doesn't mean you could use it for free and be proud about it. Linus, like you, has keys. 20+ of them as he says in that video. They just choose not to use them in machines they are running tests on. But they do with those machines they use as daily work machines. As they should.

I'm not gonna go further into that topic, my opinion is very well laid out in multiple posts about the subject if you want to go and look.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

My tip: Never update anything unless you have to (security updates not included).

Definitely a good tip, which I follow in most situations. However, from what I've heard/read there are very important security updates in 1903, or maybe I'm just paranoid? Also, the possible bugs and glitches is exactly why I didn't update, or I should rather say, haven't updated in a year, but the thing is 1803 version is no longer receiving support, which is a bad thing.. I guess?

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Did you watch the video? That question comes from those who don't watch it.

@LogicalDrm I am guessing you didn't understand/haven't read the posts. I was not asking myself that question, but another person (I literally posted the video under a quote from someone else). Let me make myself more clear for future reference: Linus is not a thief - and this is my opinion. In fact I wrote that the reason I'm asking if Windows maintains functionality is so that I would be able to test whether my system works fine with the newest version or run Windows on it till I upgrade (due for an upgrade of some components very shortly, btw), assuming I could even get into Windows. After a bit of discussion on this forum I even wrote that if this topic (not activating Windows) is controversial I completely understand, but have maintain there is no attempt to promote any kind of piracy or activities related to that, which again, you would understand if you read my 1st post where I explained the actual issue. In any case, I am really glad and happy that some people gave me some good advice/help - really appreciate them.