Case Glass Etching Ideas

Rune

So I've done a few glass etchings for side panels but I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll attach a few examples below.

29b534_1b77c33b11c547a2aaba0cd9e7123e02~

29b534_2e3bd823bba14a5ba63b5873e60bf9f9~

9OHZeOB.png

desktop2.jpg

I was about to ask what part of the country you're in, and then I remembered that I don't have a tempered glass panel anymore. SFF lyfe, yo. It's a thing.

That Runabout below your last PC got me thinking: I've always loved the idea of a Defiant-themed case. Aggressive case, very clean, very compact, no wasted space, nearly tears itself apart when overclocked. Actually, the TU150 would probably be perfect for that type of theming. Dammit, why didn't I buy one of those?

Oh, right, because the QBX was roughly half the price, much smaller, much better ventilated and is almost unrecognizable as a PC.

But, yeah, an etching of the Defiant hauling ass out of warp with those machine gun phasers doing their thing would be pretty cool on a white or silver case, ideally ITX, imo.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I was about to ask what part of the country you're in, and then I remembered that I don't have a tempered glass panel anymore. SFF lyfe, yo. It's a thing.

That Runabout below your last PC got me thinking: I've always loved the idea of a Defiant-themed case. Aggressive case, very clean, very compact, no wasted space, nearly tears itself apart when overclocked. Actually, the TU150 would probably be perfect for that type of theming. Dammit, why didn't I buy one of those?

Oh, right, because the QBX was roughly half the price, much smaller, much better ventilated and is almost unrecognizable as a PC.

But, yeah, an etching of the Defiant hauling ass out of warp with those machine gun phasers doing their thing would be pretty cool on a white or silver case, ideally ITX, imo.

The agrettsuko was actually on a tu150. I liked how it came out pretty well :P
Thanks for the idea.

3 hours ago, Rune said:

The agrettsuko was actually on a tu150. I liked how it came out pretty well :P
Thanks for the idea.

How does one etch glass, exactly? Not that it will do me any good in this post-tempered glass world I seem to have gotten myself into. Everything's so dark, and my components are so...not on fire.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

22 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

How does one etch glass, exactly? Not that it will do me any good in this post-tempered glass world I seem to have gotten myself into. Everything's so dark, and my components are so...not on fire.

You can do it a variety of ways. Sandblasting and chemical etching are the most popular two. I use chemicals and heavy stenciling. It eats away the top layer of the tempering so that light acts differently in that particular layer.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

did you use a CNC knife cutter or a laser cutter for the stencils o_o they look pretty damn neat

I wish. Can take forever to do by hand. The major took me hourssss

So I don't have any ideas in particular but I do love how those have come out, I've been considering getting some done for my own case but also contemplating etch effect stickers as a less permenant solution in the event I ever want to sell the case.

8 hours ago, Graeme-Pure PC said:

So I don't have any ideas in particular but I do love how those have come out, I've been considering getting some done for my own case but also contemplating etch effect stickers as a less permenant solution in the event I ever want to sell the case.

Yeah, adhesives are easier to remove but I don't think they look as good imo

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 4:44 AM, Rune said:

You can do it a variety of ways. Sandblasting and chemical etching are the most popular two. I use chemicals and heavy stenciling. It eats away the top layer of the tempering so that light acts differently in that particular layer.

Hi there! Just wondering what chemicals you use for the etching of tempered glass, it some thing I'm looking in to for my side panel. Thanks!