Are Curved Monitors Worth it for FPS Games?

Harit Paurana

So Samsung launched their Odyssey lineup of monitors globally, and I am confused again. I am going to build another PC with the 10900K and the 2080Ti alongside 64 gigs of RAM. I play Fortnite professionally and stream as well. I was originally gonna get a 25 inch 240Hz monitor from Alienware, the AW2521HF. I dunno if 27 inch monitors are worth it for FPS games like Fortnite, and I also dunno if curved monitors are worth it. Also, most of the 27 inch 240Hz displays are 1080p which is again not good for the size. Now, Samsung comes out with the Odyssey G7 with a 27 inch screen, 240Hz 1ms 1000R Curved QLED gaming monitor with a WQHD resolution. I know the description is overwhelming but that's what it actually is. So, is it worth getting this monitor given the extraordinary one of a kind specs? Would 27 inch be too large? Will the curve affect my gaming? Pls tell me, I'd really appreciate your help. Also is it worth waiting for 360Hz monitors over this?

As a streamer, you might want to consider multiple monitors. I personally have a 1440p 14fhz 32” curved monitor that I love. Because your hardware should be able to easily run fortnite at 1440p 240hz it really depends on whether you want a bigger screen. I find that curved only really helps so you can actually see everything instead of having to look around a lot when it’s a large flat panel.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Personally, I find that curved monitors really make more sense on large ultrawides, where the curve actually helps. 

If you stream or multitask a bit, I’d concur with the suggestion to look into a multi-monitor setup. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Personally, I find that curved monitors really make more sense on large ultrawides, where the curve actually helps. 

If you stream or multitask a bit, I’d concur with the suggestion to look into a multi-monitor setup. 

Ok dude thanks a lot.... Imma make this my main monitor then aight? 

6 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

Ok dude thanks a lot.... Imma make this my main monitor then aight? 

If you like the curve, then it’s aite 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Harit Paurana said:

So Samsung launched their Odyssey lineup of monitors globally, and I am confused again. I am going to build another PC with the 10900K and the 2080Ti alongside 64 gigs of RAM. I play Fortnite professionally and stream as well. I was originally gonna get a 25 inch 240Hz monitor from Alienware, the AW2521HF. I dunno if 27 inch monitors are worth it for FPS games like Fortnite, and I also dunno if curved monitors are worth it. Also, most of the 27 inch 240Hz displays are 1080p which is again not good for the size. Now, Samsung comes out with the Odyssey G7 with a 27 inch screen, 240Hz 1ms 1000R Curved QLED gaming monitor with a WQHD resolution. I know the description is overwhelming but that's what it actually is. So, is it worth getting this monitor given the extraordinary one of a kind specs? Would 27 inch be too large? Will the curve affect my gaming? Pls tell me, I'd really appreciate your help. Also is it worth waiting for 360Hz monitors over this?

Curve monitor is just a marketing trick...I have one.You won't get any ingame better performance or any benefit compared to flat ones.

Even the issue is looking at it from  different angle then straight.

Curve monitor is advertised like perfect curvature for eye,but I didn't notice any difference compared to regular ones.

You don't need more then 144 Hz or 144 fps in games since a human beeing can't notice difference at frames above 144.

This is all stupid marketing,why would anyone need 240 Hz monitor...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

This is all stupid marketing,why would anyone need 240 Hz monitor...

It's probably to do with competitive gamers who run their games on lowered settings for maximum FPS wanting a monitor that can display most/all the frames without tearing.

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

It's probably to do with competitive gamers who run their games on lowered settings for maximum FPS wanting a monitor that can display most/all the frames without tearing.

So should I get this monitor or the Alienware aw2521hf? And will my PC be able to run the former in its max capacity?

On 6/7/2020 at 12:01 AM, Harit Paurana said:

So should I get this monitor or the Alienware aw2521hf? And will my PC be able to run the former in its max capacity?

You have a 2080 Ti. 1440p above 60FPS should be easy to achieve, let alone over 144FPS in less-demanding games.

Both monitors are kinda different. One is a 1440p 240Hz monitor while the other is a 1080p 240Hz one.

On 6/6/2020 at 6:01 PM, Harit Paurana said:

And will my PC be able to run the former in its max capacity?

A 10900K and a 2080 Ti?

If any CPU + GPU could use it's full capacity then that combo.

Fortnite is pretty CPU-heavy, so a 2080 Ti is already overkill for it, but it doesn't hurt if you play other games aswell.

10 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

You have a 2080 Ti. 1440p above 60FPS should be easy to achieve, let alone over 144FPS in less-demanding games.

Both monitors are kinda different. One is a 1440p 240Hz monitor while the other is a 1080p 240Hz one.

But is it possible to get 240hz at 1440p on Fortnite with Medium settings on my PC????

39 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

But is it possible to get 240hz at 1440p on Fortnite with Medium settings on my PC????

You should be able to easily get it with the highest settings.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked