I just built my new pc a few months ago. Here are the specs:

9900k - NHD15 - 5ghz

1060 6gb - Upgrading to new Nvidia Cards when they come out

Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi

500gb 970 EVO Plus NVME

2x8gb 3600 GSKILL C16

RMx 750 Corsair

275r Airflow Corsair

I just recently upgraded my cpu cooler from a hyper 212 evo to the nhd15 so I could overclock to 5ghz. In cinebench, it pulls near 90C. I tried undervolting with no luck, I might be missing something but it's not even stable at 1.38v. I guess I could have just gotten really unlucky. I just left the auto voltage on in bios now so it's stable, just pumps out a lot of heat. Plus, it's not a huge deal that it does 90C in cinebench because I rarely use 100% cpu as the computer is for gaming. 

The 275r Airflow came with three fans, as seen in the picture below. I don't know what fans they are but they're pretty loud over 50% speed. 

The NHD15 is positioned toward the top because I was having trouble with my motherboard's rear IO blocking the one fan.

The main problem I have is that my 970 EVO Plus is running 55-60C when my gpu and cpu are getting hot. I think it is because of poor airflow. Are there any tips you would suggest to improve? I am open to replacing the stock fans on my case. Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this is all over the place, kinda hard to organize everything.

image0.thumb.jpeg.63508d8ebb771aa66fc12a6a3b949441.jpeg

i would rotate the cooler 90 degrees that it pulls air from the front and pushs it out on the back

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

13 minutes ago, Nick Neuburg said:

id turn the cooler so it blows out the back

14 minutes ago, Enzo1001 said:

i would rotate the cooler 90 degrees that it pulls air from the front and pushs it out on the back

Yea I know that would be the best config. The problem is that the fans would have to be moved up and not have the best performance because of either ram(If I put the fan on the back and used push), or motherboard IO(If I put the fan on the front and used pull).

5 hours ago, Coopermar said:

Yea I know that would be the best config. The problem is that the fans would have to be moved up and not have the best performance because of either ram(If I put the fan on the back and used push), or motherboard IO(If I put the fan on the front and used pull).

The perfect and easy solution is to get a deeper case. 275R supports up to 170mm cooler height which is fine, but you can't orient the cooler the way you want. If you get a deeper case, lets assume 180mm is enough, you can rotate the cooler and bring those fans closer to the side panel of the case so it doesn't interfere with the ram or rear I/O. Also I don't know if you tried this.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink, Corsair Force GS 128GB, Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB - Case: CM NR200P

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

Rotate your cooler, remove your rear exhaust fan if you don't have room, relocate rear fan to the front, for 3x 120s.

Then buy new fans to replace the Fractal fans. Its a really good case for moving a lot of air, you just have to move the air..

And get a Datavac, your pc will thank you.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140/ TY-143
Asus Strix B550-F Gaming | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN750 500GB, 1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C | iPPC 3K

Two things. 1) Cinebench is not right tool to check for stability. Its not particularly heavy load. Its good to benchmark and compare performance results. If even that. 2) 60C doesn't seem that bad for M.2 SSD. You could get little 80mm fan to spot cool it. Going by https://harddrivegeek.com/ssd-temperature/, 70C is the max safe load temp for M.2 SSD.

(3. 1.38V is really high voltage with Intel chips, and 100% will be reason if you lose performance and stability earlier than you normally would. Like in 2-3 years vs 7 years.)

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/6/2020 at 5:48 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Two things. 1) Cinebench is not right tool to check for stability. Its not particularly heavy load. Its good to benchmark and compare performance results. If even that. 2) 60C doesn't seem that bad for M.2 SSD. You could get little 80mm fan to spot cool it. Going by https://harddrivegeek.com/ssd-temperature/, 70C is the max safe load temp for M.2 SSD.

(3. 1.38V is really high voltage with Intel chips, and 100% will be reason if you lose performance and stability earlier than you normally would. Like in 2-3 years vs 7 years.)

Yea I know it's really high, I have the auto-adjust voltage on now so it's not always that high. I have no idea why it takes so much voltage to be stable. 

34 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Yea I know it's really high, I have the auto-adjust voltage on now so it's not always that high. I have no idea why it takes so much voltage to be stable. 

Itas called overclocking on Intel. Nothing new there. You are pushing on high OC, and probably have bad luck with CPU besides that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Itas called overclocking on Intel. Nothing new there. You are pushing on high OC, and probably have bad luck with CPU besides that.

Since I can't turn the cooler, without maybe shaving down the fans, would it be worth returning the nhd15 and getting a x63 instead? It's more expensive but I'd imagine temps would be similar/better and it would definitely fit and not kill my ssd.

6 hours ago, Coopermar said:

Since I can't turn the cooler, without maybe shaving down the fans, would it be worth returning the nhd15 and getting a x63 instead? It's more expensive but I'd imagine temps would be similar/better and it would definitely fit and not kill my ssd.

Up to you. I don't think it will make difference for your OC. But if it's otherwise better for you, sure. Looking at reviews it's about same in performance, as triple-rads do it performs better in highest OC. But it is noisier.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Up to you. I don't think it will make difference for your OC. But if it's otherwise better for you, sure. Looking at reviews it's about same in performance, as triple-rads do it performs better in highest OC. But it is noisier.

Basically all AIOs are out of stock near me. I can return the NHD15 right now, I have my previous 212 evo I can put on, and wait for a x63 to come in stock.  I just double checked and the fans are about 2mm too tall to fit in my case because of the rear IO and my ram, only way around it is to mount vertical like I have. I guess I could get smaller fans but that would just cost extra and probably degrade performance. 

The fans themselves are actually pretty loud, I can hear them on 80-100% with my headphones on. Are aios really that much louder?

What would you do?

If you suggest the 280mm aio, where should I put it in my case? Thanks

On 6/9/2020 at 1:13 AM, LogicalDrm said:

20 hours ago, Coopermar said:

Basically all AIOs are out of stock near me. I can return the NHD15 right now, I have my previous 212 evo I can put on, and wait for a x63 to come in stock.  I just double checked and the fans are about 2mm too tall to fit in my case because of the rear IO and my ram, only way around it is to mount vertical like I have. I guess I could get smaller fans but that would just cost extra and probably degrade performance. 

The fans themselves are actually pretty loud, I can hear them on 80-100% with my headphones on. Are aios really that much louder?

What would you do?

If you suggest the 280mm aio, where should I put it in my case? Thanks

Also, I could go the route of buying two 140mm fans and putting them in front and back, keeping the 150 in the middle, and then try to mount the 150 somewhere else. Would you recommend that? If so, what fans would you recommend?

4 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Also, I could go the route of buying two 140mm fans and putting them in front and back, keeping the 150 in the middle, and then try to mount the 150 somewhere else. Would you recommend that? If so, what fans would you recommend?

Noctua without Noctua fans and you lose some of performance. Also D15 uses 120mm mounting holes.

As for AIOs, those have pump plus fans. Air coolers just have fans. Might not be louder, but thats so much preference based. I personally don't even know what AIO sounds like in normal operation. I just know that unless you are in very limited space, or go for highest possible OC, air cooler is better price/performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Noctua without Noctua fans and you lose some of performance. Also D15 uses 120mm mounting holes.

As for AIOs, those have pump plus fans. Air coolers just have fans. Might not be louder, but thats so much preference based. I personally don't even know what AIO sounds like in normal operation. I just know that unless you are in very limited space, or go for highest possible OC, air cooler is better price/performance.

So in terms of temps for everything, would you suggest I get two 120mm noctua fans, put them on either side of the heatsink, and rotate it horizontally?

7 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

So in terms of temps for everything, would you suggest I get two 120mm noctua fans, put them on either side of the heatsink, and rotate it horizontally?

I would advice that you take OC down a notch. You aren't getting better cooling with smaller fans, since the cooler already fits there as is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

I would advice that you take OC down a notch. You aren't getting better cooling with smaller fans, since the cooler already fits there as is.

Yea but the problem isn't CPU temps, it's everything else. Since the nhd15 is pulling air from below, everything is getting hot. My GPU's is pumping out heat and that air is going over my ssd and into my CPU nhd15. Therefore, the cooling for the nhd15 is suffering, and other components are getting really hot.

If I were to get a x63, where would you suggest I mount it? Intake or out?

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

3 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Yea but the problem isn't CPU temps, it's everything else. Since the nhd15 is pulling air from below, everything is getting hot. My GPU's is pumping out heat and that air is going over my ssd and into my CPU nhd15. Therefore, the cooling for the nhd15 is suffering, and other components are getting really hot.

I guess I could also remove the heatsinks of my gskill ram, I don't know what that will do to them though.

2 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Yeah, sorry. Thats not how things work. GPU effect on temps on other components, especially CPU is negligible. GPU could get better airflow from another front intake fan, or lowering of the two there already is. SSD is probably just heating on its own, and like I posted earlier, its not actually even heating. Just normal operation.

2 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Exhaust. That way you get lower GPU temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah, sorry. Thats not how things work. GPU effect on temps on other components, especially CPU is negligible. GPU could get better airflow from another front intake fan, or lowering of the two there already is. SSD is probably just heating on its own, and like I posted earlier, its not actually even heating. Just normal operation.

Exhaust. That way you get lower GPU temps.

Okay thanks. You can close this topic now. I don't know if I'm able to do so.