My TV network topology is a mess

We recently cut out our cable TV, but I needed a solution to enable my mother-in-law (MIL) to be able to watch network TV, so this is the solution I cobbled together. It's a mess back there, what with all the ethernet, hdmi, power, and coax cables. It does work, but after some recent storms knocked out our power, I think the switch is not long for this world. I'm going to replace it, but this "solution" to cutting the cord while retaining network TV is a mess.

The only reason we didn't go with something more elegant like YouTubeTV is that Sling is the only one that had all the channels my MIL likes to watch (specifically, History Channel). Still, this setup only has two remotes, one for the TV and one for the Roku, and my MIL seems able and happy enough to use them.

The TV is a 2016-ish 4k "smart" TV, but the interface is clunky and for some reason, it doesn't like to stream Sling (gets super stuttery). I recall reading that this is due to the limited processing power of the TV, but whatever. I'm sick of this solution. I want like one thing that does "all the things". One remote would be ideal. Are TV's any better today than 4 years ago in that regard? Or should I bite the bullet and go the media PC route (NUC, SFF PC, etc.)? I'm more than able to build out a custom solution, but if something already exists that does "all the things" for not too much expense, that would be ideal. What setups are you guys rocking these days?

TIA~

TV Network Topology.JPG

Edited by CoolHandMike

put sling, prime, netfix (hell every subsciption) oh your roku. your roku will do. just use the tv as the screen dont use the built in stuff..your roku and such will work much better then the tv anyways

4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

We recently cut out our cable TV, but I needed a solution to enable my mother-in-law (MIL) to be able to watch network TV, so this is the solution I cobbled together. It's a mess back there, what with all the ethernet, hdmi, power, and coax cables. It does work, but after some recent storms knocked out our power, I think the switch is not long for this world. I'm going to replace it, but this "solution" to cutting the cord while retaining network TV is a mess.

The only reason we didn't go with something more elegant like YouTubeTV is that Sling is the only one that had all the channels my MIL likes to watch (specifically, History Channel). Still, this setup only has two remotes, one for the TV and one for the Roku, and my MIL seems able and happy enough to use them.

The TV is a 2016-ish 4k "smart" TV, but the interface is clunky and for some reason, it doesn't like to stream Sling (gets super stuttery). I recall reading that this is due to the limited processing power of the TV, but whatever. I'm sick of this solution. I want like one thing that does "all the things". One remote would be ideal. Are TV's any better today than 4 years ago in that regard? Or should I bite the bullet and go the media PC route (NUC, SFF PC, etc.)? I'm more than able to build out a custom solution, but if something already exists that does "all the things" for not too much expense, that would be ideal. What setups are you guys rocking these days?

TIA~

TV Network Topology.JPG

If ease of use is important for the MIL, I would HIGHLY suggest avoiding an HTPC running Windows. Sooner or later something will drop her out of a remote friendly interface, and switching between applications will inevitably require using a mouse and keyboard. 

Something like a Roku, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield, etc, would likely be best. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, CoolHandMike said:

What setups are you guys rocking these days?

Cord Cutter here.

We sub to some Online service, like Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Starz. Starz is the odd man out as we got 6 months for $25, and will drop it when that runs out. We pick up  different services based on what shows are out. When the Madorlorian is out we do Disney, when Picard is out we do CBS all access. 

For Live TV we just use Over the Air. BUT I have an HDhomerun and a Plex server. So all of our TV watching is pretty much done on our streaming sticks. We have 2 4K Roku's, and 2 Fire Sticks. The best part of Plex is you can use it as a DVR for OTA TV. Though you do have to pay for the Plex Pass. 

My advice is to allow the Roku to handle everything. All the apps for the most part should be on there. Some Roku remotes can even control the TV's power and Volume. The next thing Id do is look in to Plex for any media you currently have. You can stick the Plex server somewhere else in the home and it will feed the whole network. Maybe invest in a OTA antenna. While you might miss some stations, the major Networks like ABC, NBC, etc are still transmitted for free OTA. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 6/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, CoolHandMike said:

The TV is a 2016-ish 4k "smart" TV, but the interface is clunky and for some reason

I got a 2019 4k Samsung and it's the same way. The onscreen OS for it seems very slow and clunky to me.

It really annoys me because not only is it slow but it feels like the TV OS is trying to stick its toe into everything I do. 🤪

When all I want it to be is a port to the screen lol.

I've been holding off buying a streaming box all this time for similar reasons.

Some of this but not that in devices.

No consideration for people who live in rural areas with limited access to high speed bandwidth ( no on device download storage of purchased content).

It just seems like no one is doing the steaming boxes the way I want them to yet.

I would have thought the product offerings from the beginning would have been slicker and more mainstream. 

Like most average consumers I just don't have the patience to do the network nightmare hookup stuff your fighting with and living with your MIL. Dude you must be the king of patience.😄

🙂

42 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I got a 2019 4k Samsung and it's the same way. The onscreen OS for it seems very slow and clunky to me.

Thats why you buy a Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV Box etc. Those companies know what they are doing with UI design and generally support many great apps. Never been impressed with Samsung's Software. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats why you buy a Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV Box etc. Those companies know what they are doing with UI design and generally support many great apps. Never been impressed with Samsung's Software. 

Can confirm - I’ve had a Roku 4K Premiere edition for like 3-4 years now. Still use it. 

It has all the major apps now, including Amazon and Disney+. It even has the new AppleTV app, I think. 

The UI is fluid and fairly responsive. 

Cant confirm about 4K performance though as all mine are 1080p. But I see no reason to have any issue there with any of the newer Roku’s with HDR support, etc. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Cant confirm about 4K performance though as all mine are 1080p. But I see no reason to have any issue there with any of the newer Roku’s with HDR support, etc. 

Neither can I. We only have up to 1080p content. Part of the reason we bought them is due to the fact it will turn on and off the TV and do volume. 

32 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Neither can I. We only have up to 1080p content. Part of the reason we bought them is due to the fact it will turn on and off the TV and do volume. 

I’ve played 4K content downscaled to 1080p no problem before - just don’t have any 4K TV’s. 

On 6/5/2020 at 9:36 PM, Donut417 said:

Cord Cutter here.

We sub to some Online service, like Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Starz. Starz is the odd man out as we got 6 months for $25, and will drop it when that runs out. We pick up  different services based on what shows are out. When the Madorlorian is out we do Disney, when Picard is out we do CBS all access. 

For Live TV we just use Over the Air. BUT I have an HDhomerun and a Plex server. So all of our TV watching is pretty much done on our streaming sticks. We have 2 4K Roku's, and 2 Fire Sticks. The best part of Plex is you can use it as a DVR for OTA TV. Though you do have to pay for the Plex Pass. 

My advice is to allow the Roku to handle everything. All the apps for the most part should be on there. Some Roku remotes can even control the TV's power and Volume. The next thing Id do is look in to Plex for any media you currently have. You can stick the Plex server somewhere else in the home and it will feed the whole network. Maybe invest in a OTA antenna. While you might miss some stations, the major Networks like ABC, NBC, etc are still transmitted for free OTA. 

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we have no access to OTA channels where I live. Which does suck, but hopefully we'll be moving to a different place next year.