Recommend me a phone

The Torrent

I like the look of the samsung m30s except its a £160 phone - aka 720p resolution sucks, and im guessing it will have build quality to match the price.

I like OLED.

I like the normal stuff like good camera, battery, design, etc. Design of the phone is pretty important to me.

I would buy a oneplus 7tpro if it cost £450 instead of the £550 it is right now, mainly just for the fact that its a full face display. i really dont give a crap about selfie cameras but kinda do about the main camera.

Ideal price around 300 maybe cheaper is better can stretch if u think its worth it.

Heres an issue. I can not buy Redmi or sketchy chineese brand phones in the uk. I simply cant find them and where i do its a chineese import with no warranty and i dont like that no warranty idea.

I am not a fan of holepunch or teardrop but will buy it if theres no alternative - Don't not recommend a phone because its got holepunch/tear drop, but just provide another alternative too. I'd stretch and buy an oneplus 8 pro if it wasn't for the holepunch.

Don't be afraid to mention phones coming out in the next few months. Im aware of the oneplus z and avidly waiting. I like the look of the oppo reno 2 but its been nearly a year should i expect a 3?

Thanks.

Galaxy S9

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

1 minute ago, Jae Tee said:

Galaxy S9

im told they have shit chips in the uk

edit: also i have an issue with second hand phones and they r hard to find brand new rn

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

im told they have shit chips in the uk

edit: also i have an issue with second hand phones and they r hard to find brand new rn

I picked 1 up for $350 us like a year ago brand new. best of luck

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

I picked 1 up for $350 us like a year ago brand new. best of luck

a year ago they where only a generation old and new stock from samsung even still existed.

now they are completely discontinued so the only new has been sitting in a box for a year owned by someone which seems unlikely.

13 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

a year ago they where only a generation old and new stock from samsung even still existed.

now they are completely discontinued so the only new has been sitting in a box for a year owned by someone which seems unlikely.

I own a Galaxy S9 and my brother owns a used + model, both work great can run most mobile games I will take fortnite as an example

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Can you send us the shopping website where you plan to buy from?

13 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Can you send us the shopping website where you plan to buy from?

I wont be buying from any single one but here are some uk ones

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/index.html thats a kinda local shop

then ofcourse https://www.amazon.co.uk/ uk amazon which probably has it all

What do you think of the oppo reno2? I like it but i see a reno3 has already come out (but not available in the uk) so feel like if i bought it i would be overpaying as its nearly a year old already.

whats a s9plus worth? Found what the guy claims is brand new for £335

Just now, The Torrent said:

whats a s9plus worth? Found what the guy claims is brand new for £335

It isn't worth at all at that price. It has a exynos chipset. I would say £270 would be a good price for that, at least here where i am.

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

Heres an issue. I can not buy Redmi or sketchy chineese brand phones in the uk. I simply cant find them and where i do its a chineese import with no warranty and i dont like that no warranty.

Well there are a lot of them in amazon uk.

13 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

What do you think of the oppo reno2? I like it but i see a reno3 has already come out (but not available in the uk) so feel like if i bought it i would be overpaying as its nearly a year old already.

Yeah...i quite like the concept of the reno 2, but you can get that chipset for cheaper(xiaomi of course, but you do you).

Since the reno 3 has a mtk chipset and a waterdrop notch, it's kinda mehh.. Image quality might take a hit cuz different chipset=different image processing.

Im going to look around for something and then reply as soon as i can.

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

It isn't worth at all at that price. It has a exynos chipset. I would say £270 would be a good price for that, at least here where i am.

Well there are a lot of them in amazon uk.

Yeah...i quite like the concept of the reno 2, but you can get that chipset for cheaper(xiaomi of course, but you do you).

Since the reno 3 has a mtk chipset and a waterdrop notch, it's kinda mehh.. Image quality might take a hit cuz different chipset=different image processing.

Im going to look around for something and then reply as soon as i can.

thanks

i was recommended redmi k20/k30 which redmi would you recommend then which is on the amazon store which seems to meet my specs?

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

thanks

i was recommended redmi k20/k30 which redmi would you recommend?

K20:

1. Better screen imo(60Hz but OLED)
  2. Full screen display with pop up camera
  3. Better established community with great custom roms.
  4. Has a telephoto camera instead of the macro in the K30.

K30:

1. 120Hz IPS panel(has some bleeding in the cutout though)
  2. Pill shaped cutout
  3. Newer, so more updates
  4. Better main camera in some scenarios.
  5. Faster charging (27w vs 18w) and bigger 4500mah battery(though it gets offset by the higher refresh rate)

Personally, I would choose the K20 as it is cheaper, has an oled full screen and is equally as fast as the K30.

Note: Check your carrier bands before purchasing.

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

which is on the amazon store which seems to meet my specs?

Anything better than the Redmi Note 8 Pro should be good in your case. But i still insist on the K20.

58 minutes ago, EL02 said:

K20:

1. Better screen imo(60Hz but OLED)
  2. Full screen display with pop up camera
  3. Better established community with great custom roms.
  4. Has a telephoto camera instead of the macro in the K30.

K30:

1. 120Hz IPS panel(has some bleeding in the cutout though)
  2. Pill shaped cutout
  3. Newer, so more updates
  4. Better main camera in some scenarios.
  5. Faster charging (27w vs 18w) and bigger 4500mah battery(though it gets offset by the higher refresh rate)

Personally, I would choose the K20 as it is cheaper, has an oled full screen and is equally as fast as the K30.

Note: Check your carrier bands before purchasing.

Anything better than the Redmi Note 8 Pro should be good in your case. But i still insist on the K20.

Can you see k20 on amazon? Can you send link please? I just can’t find it I might be blind though.

also how would you say it compares to a Samsung a30s and how much is a Redmi worth I might have a look on eBay too.

Wait.

The Google Pixel 4a, OnePlus Z are both on their way (you already mentioned one) and they'd likely be great competitors.

You can get more for your money from Chinese brands, but you lose out on other areas; software, updates, etc. They have to save that money somewhere.

If you do get a phone from China, make sure it's bands match the ones you need.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The M30s is £200 and has a 1080p screen.

The A30s is the one with 720p screen. Why is this even in the picture?

Make up your mind about the price. Why was it previously 200? Stop wasting everyone's time.

The Redmi Mi 9T is on Amazon UK for £274.50

Uninterrupted OLED screen and SD730

?? Did I just link you a Amazon listing for a sketchy Chinese brand Redmi device?

Bloody hell what in the fuck is your budget sir? Make up your mind.

OHHHHH I was getting mixed up between a30s and m30s! I’ll have to go google the full list of differences now.

ill check out that Redmi.

My budget is a grand always has been from when I started searching but it doesn’t mean I need to spend it all and I discovered phones like Redmi and m30s which seem silly good at a cheap price so I was like why waste cash?

i see there’s a few Redmi’s but not ones like the k30 I was recommended.

oppo is widely available in the uk I’m sorry if I offended you calling Redmi a ‘sketchy Chinese brand’.

I’m so confused now. So there’s m30 and m30s? And a30 and a30s then of course 31 variants which also have a s and non s variant? What does the s mean?

I’m so confused now. So there’s m30 and m30s? And a30 and a30s then of course 31 variants which also have a s and non s variant? What does the s mean?

S is a small upgrade over the regular A or M lineup. E is a small downgrade in the A series.

The M series is better.

2 hours ago, EL02 said:

S is a small upgrade over the regular A or M lineup. E is a small downgrade in the A series.

The M series is better.

So there’s a m30 and I think I’m closing in on my perfect phone now.

but I read somewhere m30s might come out this month. If this does will it be a bailable in the uk instantly? And what do you think likelihood of this is.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Do not try to interpret Samsung's naming convention. Treat every phone as being unique.

Gets messy tho when they have like 3 gjbillion phones within half a price bracket.

So there’s a m30 and I think I’m closing in on my perfect phone now.

Every phone you have listed is similar to each other and just exchange speed for a better camera, or something else for a better screen etc. Just focus on something. What is more important to you?

The k20 is the better deal in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Every phone you have listed is similar to each other and just exchange speed for a better camera, or something else for a better screen etc. Just focus on something. What is more important to you?

The k20 is the better deal in my opinion.

i cant get a k20 in the uk from a 'legit' source tho aka one which will honor warranty.

there are some shops like on ebay but they cant promise they will honor any warranty past the 30 day ebay refund guarantee and they are from hong kong so that means 1month+ shipping.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Absolutely no chance of it happening

Because I already linked you the Amazon UK listing for the M30s in your previous thread...

sorry i meant m31s

so m30 was last year then march or something was m31 and i read online june30 is m31s and im wondering if that is real and if it will be avaiable in the uk

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

The Mi 9T is the international version of the K20

And I linked it earlier in the thread...

There is no M31s

Because the M31 (with no "s") already has a 6,000mAh battery

And its already on Amazon UK for £245

The only difference from the M30s is an updated camera setup and comes with Android 10 out of the box

And yes those are the only differences

the 9t is the same thing?? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that answers so many questions!

wdym with the m31s. I dont mean is there one, i mean will there be one coming out in the next month or so.

i also heard something of a m51 but im guessing that might start getting out of the 200-250~ range

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The Mi 9T is the international version of the K20

And I linked it earlier in the thread...

There is no M31s

Because the M31 (with no "s") already has a 6,000mAh battery

And its already on Amazon UK for £245

The only difference from the M30s is an updated camera setup and comes with Android 10 out of the box

And yes those are the only differences

see the issue i have is when i buy something i like it to be the latest for that moment and not something better to demolish its value had i only waited a months if not even weeks.

So the k20/mi 9t - thats primary on my list right now as i just found out that its the same thing. However, the phone came out june 19 - exactly a year ago. So

1 - have they released/will release the sucessor this month?

2 - if its already released, has the price of the phone on amazon been decreased accordingly to match up with this new release?

If the second is true I have found my phone.

If they first is wrong then how long should i wait?

Just now, huilun02 said:

No

There are only rumors. Samsung have not even mentioned the existence of this model.

And according to rumors:

• Unknown Snapdragon chipset
  • 4,000mAh battery
  • Standard IPS screen

There is no predecessor to this supposed "M51"

perfect. so my list right now is m30 at £200 compared to (dependent on my previous post if price has been reduced accordinly/new one is coming out) 9T.  I was starting to like the m30 considering its massive battery...