snail like boot times

HairyPotter
Just now, MS-DOS Guy said:

Wait a minute... is windows installed on your SSD or HDD? IT SHOULD be installed on your SSD. That is probably why your getting such slow times on boot.

Ssd it’s downloaded on my ssd

Just now, Void Master said:

This is normal, it used to happen on some  motherboards i encountered previously.

There is no need to worry about the flashing.

So 47 seconds is fine? I dunno man i had a laptop top with an intel 660p and i swear it felt faster

Just now, HairyPotter said:

Disconnect the HDD.

Does windows boot ?

sometimes windows throws some stuff on to other drives.

Just now, HairyPotter said:

So 47 seconds is fine? I dunno man i had a laptop top with an intel 660p and i swear it felt faster

if it boots then reset windows...

probably it will fix it 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

10 hours ago, HairyPotter said:

Then my only suggestion to you ( and will almost certainly fix the problem ) is reinstalling windows. If that doesn't work, it is almost certainly a hardware issue. Probably your SSD. But I doubt it, SSD's are quite reliable in any sense, or case. So doing a reinstall ( or reset ) will fix the problem. Your files will all be transferred into the new windows installation automatically, unless of course you so decide to reinstall windows with a windows installation USB, and boot onto it. In that case, you will need to backup and format. 

Check normal boot times for a SSD though, for that one in particular to make sure it is normal. That is about how fast my hard drive ( give or take in terms of boot time ) is with like, 31 bad sectors and i dug it up from a old server computer ( it is a SAS drive in fairness ). And that is a NVME drive. I just use a hard drive for boot ( planning to upgrade to a SSD, sold my last one ). 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

5 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Disconnect the HDD.

Does windows boot ?

sometimes windows throws some stuff on to other drives.

if it boots then reset windows...

probably it will fix it 

Just diconnected the hdd and it booted just like it did on the video i sent

6 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Then my only suggestion to you ( and will almost certainly fix the problem ) is reinstalling windows. If that doesn't work, it is almost certainly a hardware issue. Probably your SSD. But I doubt it, SSD's are quite reliable in any sense, or case. So doing a reinstall ( or reset ) will fix the problem. Your files will all be transferred into the new windows installation automatically, unless of course you so decide to reinstall windows with a windows installation USB, and boot onto it. In that case, you will need to backup and format. 

Check normal boot times for a SSD though, for that one in particular to make sure it is normal. That is about how fast my hard drive ( give or take in terms of boot time ) is with like, 31 bad sectors and i dug it up from a old server computer ( it is a SAS drive in fairness ). And that is a NVME drive. I just use a hard drive for boot ( planning to upgrade to a SSD, sold my last one ). 

Alright I’ll reinstall windows, but i have no idea how, will this affect my games and files?

1 minute ago, HairyPotter said:

Alright I’ll reinstall windows, but i have no idea how, will this affect my games and files?

Go to windows settings and simply search for it in the search bar.

U can choose to keep your files during the process.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

2 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Go to windows settings and simply search for it in the search bar.

U can choose to keep your files during the process.

Says it will remove apps should i be worried bout my games and programs/drivers?

image.jpg

9 hours ago, Void Master said:

If the reset doesn't work, then your method is the only left option. 

Yeah, or you could simply backup and format your drive, and reinstall windows the original way, which is get a windows installation USB w/ a Windows ISO from a download page, boot onto it from the BIOS Boot Menu ( altering the sequence / priority boot drives to the USB ), boot off of it, you'll format your drive from here ( to get rid of any system files ) and once the installation is complete, you transfer all your important files back onto the computer. But reset or creation tool is bound to work no less, and basically does this entire process for you. 

My Rig: 

3 minutes ago, HairyPotter said:

Says it will remove apps should i be worried bout my games and programs/drivers?

image.jpg

Any apps you installed will be removed, but assuming all the games are on your HDD, you can just reconfigure your game launcher after you reinstall it and you wouldn't need to re download them.

this process will take several hours... 

EDIT: Drivers will need to be reinstalled 

3 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Any apps you installed will be removed, but assuming all the games are on your HDD, you can just reconfigure your game launcher after you reinstall it and you wouldn't need to re download them.

This makes me a bit hesitant so steam,chrome, winrar,discord,firefox,nzxt cam driver installations will all go since all the none gaming stuff i have go into the ssd

image.jpg

Keep my files. Apps are mostly pertaining to system apps.

10 hours ago, Void Master said:

Alternatively, you could use media creation tool, which keeps EVERYTHING. Like, its literally a carbon copy of your current system files. It keeps everything BESIDES systemfiles, which is most notably the problem here. However, if this still results in slow boot times regardless of what method you use to reinstall your operating system. It is BOUND to be some hardware issue, or some software you have that you kept with you during the installation process ( notably something you installed ). But it wouldn't be in the startup folder or likewise ( kind of like how steam starts when your enter your desktop or similar process ), since it is happening DURING boot which wouldn't make sense, since during boot it uses systemfiles, and upon entering the desktop, everything from the startup folder is executed. But this is also a reason, why reinstalling windows will primarily fix the problem since it most likely pertains to systemfiles upon first inspection mostly due to the fact that it seems unlikely that any process could produce slow boot times, especially since no applications are executed until the desktop has appeared and loading systemfiles is done. Question: Is normal speed on your computer relative to the normal generalized speed of NVME drives as you would expect? @HairyPotter

My Rig: 

3 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Alternatively, you could use media creation tool, which keeps EVERYTHING. Like, its literally a carbon copy of your current system files. It keeps everything BESIDES systemfiles, which is most notably the problem here. However, if this still results in slow boot times regardless of what method you use to reinstall your operating system. It is BOUND to be some hardware issue, or some software you have that you kept with you during the installation process ( notably something you installed ). But it wouldn't be in the startup folder or likewise ( kind of like how steam starts when your enter your desktop or similar process ), since it is happening DURING boot which wouldn't make sense, since during boot it uses systemfiles, and upon entering the desktop, everything from the startup folder is executed. But this is also a reason, why reinstalling windows will primarily fix the problem since it most likely pertains to systemfiles upon first inspection. 

Ok i am doing the media creation tool, it says if i want to upgrade my current pc to win 10 i clicked yes

9 hours ago, HairyPotter said:

Ok i am doing the media creation tool, it says if i want to upgrade my current pc to win 10 i clicked yes

I edited my post. Read thoroughly 

My Rig: 

7 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Alternatively, you could use media creation tool, which keeps EVERYTHING. Like, its literally a carbon copy of your current system files. It keeps everything BESIDES systemfiles, which is most notably the problem here. However, if this still results in slow boot times regardless of what method you use to reinstall your operating system. It is BOUND to be some hardware issue, or some software you have that you kept with you during the installation process ( notably something you installed ). But it wouldn't be in the startup folder or likewise ( kind of like how steam starts when your enter your desktop or similar process ), since it is happening DURING boot which wouldn't make sense, since during boot it uses systemfiles, and upon entering the desktop, everything from the startup folder is executed. But this is also a reason, why reinstalling windows will primarily fix the problem since it most likely pertains to systemfiles upon first inspection mostly due to the fact that it seems unlikely that any process could produce slow boot times, especially since no applications are executed until the desktop has appeared and loading systemfiles is done. Question: Is normal speed on your computer relative to the normal generalized speed of NVME drives as you would expect? @HairyPotter

Yes it is quiet fast when the computer is on, like loading programs and the swiftness 

Yes it is quiet fast when the computer is on, like loading programs and the swiftness 

Hm, alright. Well continue with the installation process. Tell me how it goes. If the problem still persists, then I have a couple other ideas. Other than that, you might need to replace your SSD. 

My Rig: 

1 hour ago, HairyPotter said:

Windows is updated and  my ssd uses GPT, also here is a video from the moment i click the power button to windows screen

windows takes like 2 seconds to load. it's the bios that's fucking you

32 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Hm, alright. Well continue with the installation process. Tell me how it goes. If the problem still persists, then I have a couple other ideas. Other than that, you might need to replace your SSD. 

Just finished reinstalling, tested the boot time instead of 47 seconds it’s 44 now, i am a bit disappointed and more worried now

Just finished reinstalling, tested the boot time instead of 47 seconds it’s 44 now, i am a bit disappointed and more worried now

Is your BIOS at the latest revision? MSI has all sorts of shitty problems. I personally hate MSI's bullshit motherboards, never used their UEFI BIOS before. But I can't say anything about your BIOS though. Since I know nothing of it. I'm still going to dwell a little bit more of the software side of things before I go into hardware problems. But, try loading a dummy OS ( like FreeBSD ) using rufus onto a random usb onto a different drive. Do the boot times still persist? What is the normal boot times for that SSD according to the internet? Do people experience similar problems with boot times with MSI BIOS? Make sure msi splash screen is off and fast boot is on in the uefi. If that doesn't work, refer to google about people experiencing similar problems with boot times with MSI boards. If nothing works, then it has nothing to do with your BIOS or your MSI motherboard. If that is the case, maybe something is wrong with the boot sector. Check hard drive sentinel or any hard drive monitoring app ( hard drive sentinel also applies to SSDs despite its name ). If there is a boot sector that is bad, run chkdsk in cmd. If it doesn't fix the bad sector, something is damaged internally within the boot sector and you need a replacement and hope you have a warranty that is still active. 

My Rig: 

5 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Is your BIOS at the latest revision? MSI has all sorts of shitty problems. I personally hate MSI's bullshit motherboards, never used their UEFI BIOS before. But I can't say anything about your BIOS though. Since I know nothing of it. I'm still going to dwell a little bit more of the software side of things before I go into hardware problems. But, try loading a dummy OS ( like FreeBSD ) using rufus onto a random usb onto a different drive. Do the boot times still persist? What is the normal boot times for that SSD according to the internet? Do people experience similar problems with boot times with MSI BIOS? Make sure msi splash screen is off and fast boot is on in the uefi. If that doesn't work, refer to google about people experiencing similar problems with boot times with MSI boards. If nothing works, then it has nothing to do with your BIOS or your MSI motherboard. 

Latest crappy click bios from msi, the black and gray one its so basic, can it be a bios issue? How would i check if it is? Also the average boot time for my ssd should be  about 21 seconds

2CF460EC-6523-4795-8EC2-C72AE52A0551.jpeg

Edited by HairyPotter

9 hours ago, HairyPotter said:

Latest crappy click bios from msi, the black and gray one its so basic, can it be a bios issue? How would i check if it is? Also the average boot time for my ssd should be  about 21 seconds

I edited my post, read thoroughly. If you already updated your BIOS or if it already is the latest revision, change the settings I told you to within the BIOS. Once again I updated my post. If that doesn't work, proceed further with the steps within my post.

My Rig: 

1 minute ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

I edited my post, read thoroughly. If you already updated your BIOS or if it already is the latest revision, change the settings I told you to within the BIOS. Once again I updated my post. If that doesn't work, proceed further with the steps within my post.

Check my picture

2 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Do i change any of these?

image.jpg