Need advice for improving my airflor on case Fractal Meshify S2

thclpr

Hello everyone,

Today, i noticed that inside my case is running quite hot, more than i expected. The computer is quite new and i dont have any problems with it, its just me that probably by lack of more knowledge,  dont feel quite comfortable with the temps inside my casem,  I dont have a thermomether, but it seems quite hot inside near the cpu/gpu nvme zone  ( of course )

So, i would appreciate some advise regarding if i should add more fans inside the case.

Regarding the computer specs, that influences on the temp:

• GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Storage:Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + Aorus Gen4
  • PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Regarding the case, its this one:

image.png.722677185968b9bc71786a7984d5fc1e.png

What fans do you currently have? Is your CPU watercooled or air cooled? If its watercooled, what are you using for that?

add a bottom intake fan for GPU, that helped a lot in my Define R4 which has a more restricted font intakes because of the panel.

3 minutes ago, IntMD said:

What fans do you currently have? Is your CPU watercooled or air cooled? If its watercooled, what are you using for that?

Im using stock everything, not using watercooler at all.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

add a bottom intake fan for GPU, that helped a lot in my Define R4 which has a more restricted font intakes because of the panel.

Any guide on how could i do that properly?

edit:

You mean that?

image.png.064eced0004997560200292185e1af57.png

What Fans do you have installed atm.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, thclpr said:

Any guide on how could i do that properly?

get a fan

mount it with 4 screws 

connect it to the fan header on the motherboard 

Just now, thclpr said:

Im using stock everything, not using watercooler at all.

So, you've just got the 3 fans the system comes with, 2 in front intaking and 1 rear exhaust?

You can mount up to 9 140mm fans in that case, so it depends how many extras you want to buy?

Personally, I'd probably go with an additional 1 or 2 intake at the bottom and 1 or 2 exhaust at the top, or if you want to fully max it out, 3 front intake, 2 bottom intake, 1 rear exhaust & 3 top exhaust.

3 minutes ago, IntMD said:

So, you've just got the 3 fans the system comes with, 2 in front intaking and 1 rear exhaust?

You can mount up to 9 140mm fans in that case, so it depends how many extras you want to buy?

Personally, I'd probably go with an additional 1 or 2 intake at the bottom and 1 or 2 exhaust at the top, or if you want to fully max it out, 3 front intake, 2 bottom intake, 1 rear exhaust & 3 top exhaust.

Exactly what you mean, i didnt changed anything yet:

image.thumb.png.70b93c952be727eda67ef32e0f2659a7.png

One thing that i noticed though, it's running way more cooler than before, probably im being over paranoid... Probably i'll get a temp sensor first and monitor the temps variation before buying more fans.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You mean like that? on the location of the green big bar?

image.png.c551c4993ca35dcef2e7905a0c21ecf7.png

4 minutes ago, thclpr said:

yeah, right next to the PSU

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

SIlly question, mostly because i'm new to this, but what would be the benefit if the  gpu fan is blowing air out?

image.png.f7b7b3ec58f8e129e7b5a4027c68bc4f.png

25 minutes ago, thclpr said:

You need another outake, not intake. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

28 minutes ago, thclpr said:

SIlly question, mostly because i'm new to this, but what would be the benefit if the  gpu fan is blowing air out?

image.png.f7b7b3ec58f8e129e7b5a4027c68bc4f.png

the gpu fan is not blowing the air out as on your picture. 

Its the exact opposite, the air then leaves from the sides wherever it can

22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

ah, perfect, i didnt knew that, thanks!

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

That will worse the airflow, not improve it.

Either remove the foam dust filter or add an intake fan to the lowest front slot.

36 minutes ago, Praesi said:

That will worse the airflow, not improve it.

it wont

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

it wont

It will. By alot.

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

It will. By alot.

why? It wont, there is 0 reason why it should negatively impact the air flow.

Just now, WereCat said:

why? It wont, there is 0 reason why it should negatively impact the air flow.

3 Fans pump Air into the Case. One Fan try to get it out, which it will not handle quick enough. Hot air wil run in circles and will get hotter and hotter.

He need another outtake, not an intake.

2 Front in. One out back, one out top.

3 minutes ago, Praesi said:

3 Fans pump Air into the Case. One Fan try to get it out, which it will not handle quick enough. Hot air wil run in circles and will get hotter and hotter.

He need another outtake, not an intake.

2 Front in. One out back, one out top.

:D

the air will get pushed out by the presure itself from wherever it can, it wont stay and run in circles....

there are holes on top of the case, on the back of the case...

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

:D

the air will get pushed out by the presure itself from wherever it can, it wont stay and run in circles....

I stated a Fact. Not an opinion. He wil see if he install another intake. Slightly positive preasure is ok. But not what he would get here.

In fact, slightly negative preasure is what gives the best temps. Even if it means a bit more dust.

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

I stated a Fact. Not a opinion. He wil see if he install another intake. Slightly positive preasure is ok. But not what he would get here.

In fact, slightly negative preasure is what gives the best temps. Even if it means a bit more dust.

well, you are wrong

the front and bottom fans are restricted by mesh, dust filers, PSU shroud, you can only improve the airflow by allowing the GPU access to more air, especialy from the bottom.

And your opinion about negative pressure being better is hugely dependent on the case you use.

For this case the bottom + front is perfectly fine and thats the end of discussion.

22 hours ago, WereCat said:

question: how to mount it at the place? cant find the hole to screw it. Also is this better than putting a fan on top as exhaust?

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
    Klevv Bolt X 3600mhz CL18 overclocked to 3600mhz CL18 @ 1.35V. (latency 67 ns)
  • GPU
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define Mini C Windowed
  • Storage
    1TB HDD from Toshiba, 250 gb Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Western Digital SN750
  • PSU
    Superflower Eco Silver 600W
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling
    Arctic freezer 34 esports duo, Arctic P12