New Build for Beginner Game Developer and Content Creator

Budget (including currency): 1500€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Unreal Engine, Blender, Adobe Creative Suite - character design, visualization, game development, content creation

Other details (no existing parts, completely new build, also need a monitor, I am planning to buy in September or after new releases come out and maybe previous gens´ prices will drop a bit)

Hello,

I am planning to build a new PC for game development, character design, content creation. I will mainly use Unreal Engine, Blender and Adobe Creative Suite.

There are no existing parts and I would also need a good monitor. My total budget is around 1 500 €

I was previously planning on purchasing the parts in May-June, but as I read about the new releases coming in the second half of 2020, I was thinking I should wait till Fall.

Reason n.1.: with the new generation of CPUs and GPUs coming, maybe the previous generation´s prices will drop, which would help as my budget is quite limited.

n.2.: new parts might fit my needs better while at the same time remaining at a reasonable price

I was thinking about the following: 

(the prices are a bit different in my country...something is cheaper, something is more expensive....)

- note the price of the GPU and PSU did not even load...

I was previously advised to purchase the build below.

I was told that these specs would be right for what I need the PC for...I not quite liking it though...little bit sceptical about Patriot and the CPU with the MOBO.

It would be a plus if you could recommend some white coloured parts. I am sort of looking for a black and white design :)

Thank you!

the first build looks good. patriot is fine. cpu is more important for rendering and video editing, so go for 3700x instead of 3600.

patriot is fine.

i think we'd need some links to the shops you plan to buy from in order to recommend specific white parts.

msi b450 mortar titanium is a white mobo. similarly asus x570 prime-p has white accents. i think there is a gigabyte oc white version of the gpu and there are crucial white ram sets.

7 hours ago, boggy77 said:

the first build looks good. patriot is fine. cpu is more important for rendering and video editing, so go for 3700x instead of 3600.

patriot is fine.

i think we'd need some links to the shops you plan to buy from in order to recommend specific white parts.

msi b450 mortar titanium is a white mobo. similarly asus x570 prime-p has white accents. i think there is a gigabyte oc white version of the gpu and there are crucial white ram sets.

Thank you for the advice.

Most of the shops are only in Slovak language but hopefully you'll manage:

https://comp4u.sk/

https://datacomp.sk/pc-komponenty_c166.html

https://www.gigastore.sk/komponenty/

https://m.alza.sk/komponenty/18852654.htm

https://tichepc.sk/PC-komponenty/Graficke-karty/Nvidia/GeForce-RTX-2060-Super/c001001162001044.html

If you're struggling just let me know. 

Cheat-sheet:

Pc parts should be listed as - pc komponenty

MOBO - základné dosky

RAM - pamäť

GPU - grafické karty

CPU - procesory

PSU - zdroje

Storage - pevné disky

Case - skrinky

Cooler - chladiče

Fans - ventilátor

Unless you need pcie 4.0, or you need blazing fast memory, x570 is usually a lot more expensive than b450, you could buy a 150-200 dollar b450 motherboard, and be able to afford a 3800 xt when it comes out. Also you should swap out that 5400 rpm drive for a 7200 rpm one.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.8 Ghz. -  Gigabyte B450 Aorus M - Asus TUF Gaming GTX 1660 SUPER 06G - GSKill Ripjaws V 16gb 2x8gb DDR4 @3200 Mhz. - Inland Premium 512gb NVMe SSD - Rose will RD 450 Watt 80+ - DIYPC s2-BK-RGB ATX Mid-tower case.

9 hours ago, boggy77 said:

I agree that the I should get the 3700x :) I was thinking about purchasing the new gen B550 when it comes out in my country. It would be cheaper than an x570 board, but with new specs. What do you think?

For RAM I would definitely go with 3600C16 :)

I am not sure if I should get a cooler for the CPU or just use the one included in the box from AMD...I heard they are quite good.

What I am struggling with is the storage. Should I get M.2 for running programs + SSD for storage, or M.2 + HDD for storage? I know HDD is cheaper but slower, but I think if I am going to use it for storage only, it should be okay, right?

I like the case :) I was also thinking about a KOLINK case, do you have any experience with those?

Regarding the GPU...should I get the 2070 or 2060? Which do you think would fit my needs and budget better?

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, Gamestormer999 said:

Unless you need pcie 4.0, or you need blazing fast memory, x570 is usually a lot more expensive than b450, you could buy a 150-200 dollar b450 motherboard, and be able to afford a 3800 xt when it comes out. Also you should swap out that 5400 rpm drive for a 7200 rpm one.

What do you think about the new B550 boards? Are they worth the wait?

I will definitely change the drive, thanks :)

42 minutes ago, VivienMatthews said:

I agree that the I should get the 3700x :) I was thinking about purchasing the new gen B550 when it comes out in my country. It would be cheaper than an x570 board, but with new specs. What do you think?

For RAM I would definitely go with 3600C16 :)

I am not sure if I should get a cooler for the CPU or just use the one included in the box from AMD...I heard they are quite good.

What I am struggling with is the storage. Should I get M.2 for running programs + SSD for storage, or M.2 + HDD for storage? I know HDD is cheaper but slower, but I think if I am going to use it for storage only, it should be okay, right?

I like the case :) I was also thinking about a KOLINK case, do you have any experience with those?

Regarding the GPU...should I get the 2070 or 2060? Which do you think would fit my needs and budget better?

Thanks in advance.

the b550 boards will be cheaper with similar features, so if you can wait, go for it.

the cpu cooler is adequate, but gets pretty loud under load. i've changed mine for the gelid phantom and now my pc is completely silent.

in terms of storage, depends on your requirements, how much stuff you have/need. 

what i personally would advise is a 1tb nvme for windows, software, games and 1-2 projects you're working on and  a 2-4tb hdd for the rest of the stuff you use less often, media files etc. that's what works for me.

for case, aim to get one that has a mesh front, so the airflow is good.

for gpu, i would chose between 2060 super, 2070 and 5700xt, depending on prices, they are pretty similar. the 5700xt is  a bit better in terms of pure performance, while the 2060s and 2070 come with nvidia features.

4 hours ago, boggy77 said:

the b550 boards will be cheaper with similar features, so if you can wait, go for it.

the cpu cooler is adequate, but gets pretty loud under load. i've changed mine for the gelid phantom and now my pc is completely silent.

in terms of storage, depends on your requirements, how much stuff you have/need. 

what i personally would advise is a 1tb nvme for windows, software, games and 1-2 projects you're working on and  a 2-4tb hdd for the rest of the stuff you use less often, media files etc. that's what works for me.

for case, aim to get one that has a mesh front, so the airflow is good.

for gpu, i would chose between 2060 super, 2070 and 5700xt, depending on prices, they are pretty similar. the 5700xt is  a bit better in terms of pure performance, while the 2060s and 2070 come with nvidia features.

Thank you so much! I think I will wait for the B550 :) 

I will search for reasonably priced but still good storage units. 

Initially I was planning to get a 5700xt but I heard there are driver issues with AMD´s GPUs...I am not sure if it has been solved or not.

Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, VivienMatthews said:

Thank you so much! I think I will wait for the B550 :) 

I will search for reasonably priced but still good storage units. 

Initially I was planning to get a 5700xt but I heard there are driver issues with AMD´s GPUs...I am not sure if it has been solved or not.

Thanks again!

the driver issues have mostly been solved

• 6 months later...

My updated parts list with already purchased parts:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For €150.00
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For €68.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For €48.00
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For €74.00
Monitor Asus ProArt Display PA278QV 27.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor Purchased For €299.00
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Laser Mouse Purchased For €99.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total €738.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-22 10:49 CET+0100  

+ I already have PSU but it is a local manufacturer so I could not find it on PCPartPicker

PSU: 1stCOOL White Storm series 85+ 700W - 50€

Keyboard: Keychron K1 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard (Version 4) - 70€

I need help with deciding which CPU to choose: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 7 3700X?

Also, RAM recommendations would be great. I know AMD likes fast RAM, so I would go for something that is 3600MHz and CL16 a 16GB KIT.

GPU...well everything is out of stock so I have no idea. I was thinking about AMD Radeon RX 5500XT or 5600XT ?

Thanks in advance.