is this my cpu temp?

when my pc is completely idling with nothing running i noticed this temperature in cpuid hw monitor is always around 70-80c is this my cpu temp? if so why in the heck would it be that hot on idle?cpu.PNG.85d3bffee5ec13dcffc3f2b4c251f638.PNG

what's your cooling setup? what is your usage? and yes, that is your cpu temp

if that is your cpu temp while idle either the heatsink isn't installed correctly or the machine isnt able to move any air

2 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

when my pc is completely idling with nothing running i noticed this temperature in cpuid hw monitor is always around 70-80c is this my cpu temp? if so why in the heck would it be that hot on idle?cpu.PNG.85d3bffee5ec13dcffc3f2b4c251f638.PNG

Seems like a bad mount or your case is a literal welded box if it's that high at idle. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

seems like a bad mount

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

check the rpm's to make sure the cooler is running correctly, make sure your mounting is on right, re apply the thermal paste if needed. also, that cooler has a sticker that has to be removed before mounting, did you remove it? seems stupid, but i know someone who forgot once.... not me..

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Seems like a bad mount or your case is a literal welded box if it's that high at idle. 

my gpu has temp problems to and i noticed when the glass panel is off it gets a lot cooler so the glass panel is off the side and my case is a phanteks p600 or something

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

check the rpm's to make sure the cooler is running correctly, make sure your mounting is on right, re apply the thermal paste if needed.

yes everything is running full speed lol its very loud but i don't mind. more than likey im going to reseat the aio

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

check the rpm's to make sure the cooler is running correctly, make sure your mounting is on right, re apply the thermal paste if needed. also, that cooler has a sticker that has to be removed before mounting, did you remove it? seems stupid, but i know someone who forgot once.... not me..

yeah i removed it lmao. and yep everything is running full speed. could to much thermal paste be a problem? because i put a generous amount on.

Just now, Ls9L said:

because i put a generous amount on.

did you look at any guides before doing that becuase nobody ever says "generous amounts"

1 minute ago, Ls9L said:

yeah i removed it lmao. and yep everything is running full speed. could to much thermal paste be a problem? because i put a generous amount on.

i haven't seen overheating as a result of too much, but it can cause other issues.

one other thing i have it oc to 4.25 ghz could that be the reason?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

did you look at any guides before doing that becuase nobody ever says "generous amounts"

yea some guides show putting a pea size and others show like 4 pea sizes so i put about 4 pea sizes lolol

ohh and another thing i recently changed the power plan from high performance to ultimate performance, if that could be a reason 

4 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

yea some guides show putting a pea size and others show like 4 pea sizes so i put about 4 pea sizes lolol

ive never seen a credible source say to use 4 times the amount of thermal paste , what else was done incorrectly regarding the cpu?

Also the power plan doesn't somehow increase the idle cpu temp

6 minutes ago, John Anti said:

Remove the O.C and change the power plan and see if it cools down..

okay so i just stressed the cpu and the temp only when up 6c from 72c to 78c and when i re done the test but took the oc off and changed the power plan it didn't really do to much other than drop the idle and test temps down about 8c from what it just showed prior to it  

30 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

when my pc is completely idling with nothing running i noticed this temperature in cpuid hw monitor is always around 70-80c is this my cpu temp? if so why in the heck would it be that hot on idle?

What is your case?

How many and what kind of fans you got installed?

In what orientation are the fans mounted?

Whats the RPM in relation to their MAX RPM?

Whats the AIO Radiator fan orientation/mounting position?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-9700K | Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | Balistix Sport 32GB | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 4TB HDD

Corsair RM750xASUS ROG Stryx GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC | Be quiet! silent base 801

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T-430

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

33 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

okay so i just stressed the cpu and the temp only when up 6c from 72c to 78c and when i re done the test but took the oc off and changed the power plan it didn't really do to much other than drop the idle and test temps down about 8c from what it just showed prior to it  

@nick name

Here's one to look at with some thought.

Looks like a high temp gradient.

72c idle

To 

78c load/gaming?

So a couple of things here we gotta look for. 

Pump is said to be running. Which it might be. Its a cooler master something aio.

Well there could be a restriction causing a low flow.

The pump could just be weak or gotten weaker in time.

Raidiator cooling fan obstructions is always a possibility while they fans are at max rpm, that doesnt mean they are pushing air through the rad optimally.

Its quite unnatural for these chips to idle hot. Especially near 70c.

What are your thoughts here?

41 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

@nick name

Here's one to look at with some thought.

Looks like a high temp gradient.

72c idle

To 

78c load/gaming?

So a couple of things here we gotta look for. 

Pump is said to be running. Which it might be. Its a cooler master something aio.

Well there could be a restriction causing a low flow.

The pump could just be weak or gotten weaker in time.

Raidiator cooling fan obstructions is always a possibility while they fans are at max rpm, that doesnt mean they are pushing air through the rad optimally.

Its quite unnatural for these chips to idle hot. Especially near 70c.

What are your thoughts here?

are you asking me or nick name for there thoughts ? and yes im positive the pump is running and pumping water because it makes an audible swish noise about every 10 minutes lol. and i dust my pc every day before i go to bed because i hate the look of it and i've checked the radiator, there is no dust 😅 and by the way there's clearly something very wrong because the game i play every single day i get around 160fps and i just hopped on and im struggling to barely get even 20 fps... seems like there's something more than just a simple temp problem now.

20 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

are you asking me or nick name for there thoughts ? and yes im positive the pump is running and pumping water because it makes an audible swish noise about every 10 minutes lol. and i dust my pc every day before i go to bed because i hate the look of it and i've checked the radiator, there is no dust 😅 and by the way there's clearly something very wrong because the game i play every single day i get around 160fps and i just hopped on and im struggling to barely get even 20 fps... seems like there's something more than just a simple temp problem now.

a "swish" sound every ten minutes doesn't mean it's working fine, that sounds like the opposite to me.

41 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

Was asking Nick for his thoughts on the subject. Don't think he's online, but no worries.

The pump makes an audible swish noise every 10 minutes?

You shouldn't hear anything except the whirl of the pump turning. 

Is the AIO unit new? You could send it in under warranty.  

3 hours ago, Ls9L said:

when my pc is completely idling with nothing running i noticed this temperature in cpuid hw monitor is always around 70-80c is this my cpu temp? if so why in the heck would it be that hot on idle?

Just received my 3600X and Gigabyte B450 Aorus M motherboard today...

Finished building it with total care screwing it diagonally and guess what...

Idle temps 70c and gaming 93c...

The back plate of gigabyte is made of iron and therefor does not bend to let the heatsink sit properly on the cpu socket...

Refitted 3 times no luck... Rechecked and thermal paste attaches on half CPU only...

Either Gigabyte's fault or AMD's stock cooler fault...

I am RMAing everything and I am going back to intel... Gigabyte with AMD suck bigtime I am disappointed...

I am going for ASUS and intel and only ASUS from now and on and Intel 

And nothing else to consider never ever ever.

End of story...