Overclocking advice for a beginner!

Hello everyone!

8 months ago, I built my first PC because I wanted a crazy fast computer. I did lots of research and was able to build it and set it up successfully. However, I am learning that the components I bought have a high potential for overclocking. I want to make sure I overclock properly for safety, stability and longevity of my machine. Here's my hardware and what I've done so far - if there's a better way to overclock, please help me out!

Hardware:

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Intel i7 9700K

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

Corsair H100i Pro

Nvidia RTX 2060 Super FE

EVGA GQ 750W power supply

Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe Drive

To overclock, I went into the BOIS and enabled XMP for my memory. I then went to the OC settings and manually made the multiplier "50" for my CPU clock speed on all cores, and I left everything else on auto or default settings. I also left the voltage on auto. I have tested this out by running Cinebench, playing some games, and running the trading software I use. I have not had any crashes and the voltage on CPU-z shows 1.28v at the highest. My temps are higher than before and idle at 30-42 degrees C and will go up to 55 degrees C during benchmarking or games. 

Is there a better, more efficient way to overclock this CPU? It seems stable, I just do not know if I should manually change the voltage or let the MSI BIOS keep doing its auto thing. The temps seem to be fine based on research as well. 

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you all!

To over clock your cpu 

At least I go about things this way 

I add 100mhz every time and I only add voltage when I need to 

Or an easier way to do things just enable mce and you'll be fine 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, MichaelAndrew10 said:

Hello everyone!

8 months ago, I built my first PC because I wanted a crazy fast computer. I did lots of research and was able to build it and set it up successfully. However, I am learning that the components I bought have a high potential for overclocking. I want to make sure I overclock properly for safety, stability and longevity of my machine. Here's my hardware and what I've done so far - if there's a better way to overclock, please help me out!

Hardware:

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Intel i7 9700K

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

Corsair H100i Pro

Nvidia RTX 2060 Super FE

EVGA GQ 750W power supply

Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe Drive

To overclock, I went into the BOIS and enabled XMP for my memory. I then went to the OC settings and manually made the multiplier "50" for my CPU clock speed on all cores, and I left everything else on auto or default settings. I also left the voltage on auto. I have tested this out by running Cinebench, playing some games, and running the trading software I use. I have not had any crashes and the voltage on CPU-z shows 1.28v at the highest. My temps are higher than before and idle at 30-42 degrees C and will go up to 55 degrees C during benchmarking or games. 

Is there a better, more efficient way to overclock this CPU? It seems stable, I just do not know if I should manually change the voltage or let the MSI BIOS keep doing its auto thing. The temps seem to be fine based on research as well. 

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you all!

You're right where you want to be. Temps are great, clocks are good. I run my 8700K the exact same way.

You want to concentrate on maybe overclocking the memory and cache. 4.6-4.7ghz cache should have you increasing v-core to accommodate.

The memory, you can probably exceed the XMP frequency if you're not worried about increasing memory voltage. Just increase a little at a time and test it. Probably work out 3600mhz around 1.40-1.4250v without too much troubles.

But if you're satisfied where you are at, then just use it. It's running nice and cool. That's good.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

To over clock your cpu 

At least I go about things this way 

I add 100mhz every time and I only add voltage when I need to 

Or an easier way to do things just enable mce and you'll be fine 

Or you could just maybe watch buildzoid and start dreaming of liquid nitrogen tanks and memory kits that run stable at 1.6 volts.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The memory, you can probably exceed the XMP frequency if you're not worried about increasing memory voltage. Just increase a little at a time and test it. Probably work out 3600mhz around 1.40-1.4250v without too much troubles.

The imc on the 9700k is great 

If the kit is high quality (micron and above ) I think 4000 is pretty easy to get ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: