Asus laptop doesn't see SATA SSD sometimes

Underi

I've been having a weird problem that has become rather annoying and happens more and more by the minute. My Asus Zenbook UX410UA sometimes doesn't see or recognize (?) my bootable drives. I've a 120GB SATA SSD and a 120GB M.2 SSD inside with Ubuntu and Windows 10 installed on them. I've setup the boot order so that it goes into GRUB first, since it's easy to select ubuntu or windows from there. I use ubuntu most of the time for work and school and the windows install is there for video games and .NET development.

Lately though it has gone straight into BIOS with no bootable devices in the boot order list and with only the M.2 SSD showing up in storage devices. It usually fixes itself after a few restarts, but resets the boot order with Windows first so I have to go and change it up every time. I've no idea why the SATA SSD isn't recognized at all and the windows install on the m.2 SSD doesn't show up even though the drive itself is listed. The biggest problem I have with this is the boot order changing every time, wouldn't be much of an issue if it just went into grub instead of windows after fixing itself or whatever.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

My guess is that it's a power issue.

I have a computer where power gets cut off regulary (like physically switching off a power squid) and when I turn it on and boot the PC straight away, 9/10 it doesn't see the SSD and needs to reboot. Second time usually works.

So, either the power delivery on the motherboard for the ssd is wonky, or the SSD itself is fighting with power delivery.

Problem is, you can't really fix this. Unless you can find a way to basically permanently power the SSD or find power from somewhere else. That is if the power delivery inside the SSD is working properly.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

My guess is that it's a power issue.

I have a computer where power gets cut off regulary (like physically switching off a power squid) and when I turn it on and boot the PC straight away, 9/10 it doesn't see the SSD and needs to reboot. Second time usually works.

So, either the power delivery on the motherboard for the ssd is wonky, or the SSD itself is fighting with power delivery.

Problem is, you can't really fix this. Unless you can find a way to basically permanently power the SSD or find power from somewhere else. That is if the power delivery inside the SSD is working properly.

Ah, this might be it. I seemed to associate it with shutting down my laptop with low battery level (under 10%) and it'd do this, but now it is way more frequent even with full battery.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz