Why is nobody using Mirasol Tech in Smartphones

I would assume the screens aren't exactly cheap, so that's a big factor. Even if there are devices in the works, the development cycles could be more than just a year or two.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

What I've seen in e-ink displays, and videos of Mirasol displays, is that they have pretty poor responsiveness overall. It's fine for displaying a static image, but watching a movie on a Mirasol display would be terrible, and would also drastically reduce the energy savings or even make it negative; the advantage of this type of display is that it takes no power to maintain a static image, but I don't think it could keep a reasonable framerate at all, and even if it did it starts using power for every frame, making it comparable to normal displays that use power proportional to time.

according to qualcomm

its just a proof of concept and has a few more years in the R&D phase before it'll be ready to hit a licensee's production line

basically it is a prototype and it needs alot more testing like (longevity="does it fade overtime like pasma or oled?" , durability=what happens when you accidentally drop it? get wet? get smashed?", safety= "what if the phone becomes too hot? a sudden increase in current"failed battery", does it emit any radiation? what if it breaks, does it release toxic chemicals?, does it interfere with other radio waves, signal, etc...?

and then there the problem of ramping it up to production= is the yeilds good enough for it to be a viable business? are companies such as samsung, apple, htc, etc... willing to give up their current technology to use this instead and invest?

then theres the consumer side, since it is a reflective display and pales down the colors, are people willing to spend their money get a device that has this kind of technology.

theres alot more factor that I cant think of and they are all as important if this tech would succeed or not.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

• 4 months later...

Why is no company making a phone with this display seriously ?

http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/qualcomm-demos-next-gen-2-560-x-1-440-mirasol-display-video.2511/

This is from may 2013 and nobody I now of has come out with a phone with the display (btw 2560 by 1440 mirasol smartphone panel)

According to the execs over at QCOM, the technology is too expensive to produce which will price them out of the market. Some tweaks have been made, and it's showing signs of improvement, but it'looks be a little longer before it's widely available. I guarantee it'looks be on the market, priced right, and competitive before the entire country is running their cell phones strictly off 4G LTE