Bizarre issue with random reboots while using Linux Mint but not Windows

So this all started when I decided I'm going to make the move on my primary desktop computer away from Windows over to Linux, I have been using Linux on all my over computers for a while now. Before I wipe my Windows install and be without a functional gaming PC, I decided that I would install onto a 2nd hard drive to verify that everything is working. And I'm glad I did that because things are going horribly wrong...

At first, I was having trouble getting the installer flash drive for Linux Mint to boot in uefi mode without CSM, but then I forgot I had fastboot enabled. After disabling that, I was able to install to the 2nd hard drive and boot into Linux. However, after the first reboot from running some updates and installing the Nvidia graphics drivers, the system was getting to the Linux Mint splash boot screen then shuts off with no warning, and reboots. Right now, it does this most of the time when I reboot, but sometimes it doesn't happen. After a few tries of booting it would eventual boot up, and for the most part there aren't any issues after a successful boot, however occasionally I have logged in and clicked an icon on the desktop and had it abruptly shut down like it was doing at start-up.

But here's the thing: I can boot windows off my SSD just fine, even running games and stress tests work fine. Because of this, I know its not overheating or having power supply issues, but this seems too random to be a software issue. I edited the GRUB settings to disable the splash screen so I can see what it's doing when it is starting up, and every time it "crashes" it's doing something different, I can't identify any pattern. The logs program in Linux Mint doesn't show any fatal errors that would cause a reboot. I'm not new to linux, but I have no idea what could be causing this or where to look to find out.

Like I said before, I am using Linux Mint, which is an Ubuntu-based Distribution. I am currently trying other distributions on this machine as a troubleshooting step and will report my findings back here when I can. I also tried resetting my BIOS settings with no change, and may try a different drive even though this drive's SMART status is perfect. Here are my system specs if it helps:
-Intel Core i5 6600k overclocked to 4.4GHz at 1.280v (I have done overnight prime95 runs on it with no issues, and running it stock didn't change anything)
-EVGA GTX 1060 6g
-Asus z170-e

-4x4gb DDR4 2133mhz (tried with and without the XMP profile made no difference)
-500gb WD blue M.2 SSD (the older model that is sata over M.2 instead of PCIe) for my Windows Drive.

-Some random Toshiba 1tb 5400rpm from an external enclosure for testing Linux

-A Renesas 4 port usb 3.0 card

Could you send a screenshot of a few of those errors? I would probably be able to find some general info about the crashes based on a few of them.

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()

9 minutes ago, AndrewCam100 said:

Could you send a screenshot of a few of those errors? I would probably be able to find some general info about the crashes based on a few of them.

That's the things, there really aren't any errors besides ones for applications after the system boots successfully in the logs program (Its stuff for kwallet and pulseaudio, but I think those are unrelated issues). However, if there's another place where I can find logs that I don't know about please share! But here are the "important" errors in Logs:

Screenshot from 2020-05-30 10-23-08.png

Edited by MineParker101
added the attachment

Right, I take it, from your description, you're booting Linux from the external drive, correct? If so it may not be available yet when booting the system as USB has not been configured yet.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Right, I take it, from your description, you're booting Linux from the external drive, correct? If so it may not be available yet when booting the system as USB has not been configured yet.

It's a drive that is currently internal connected to SATA that I removed from an external drive. Sorry for the confusion

Try unplugging the USB card and see if that helps.

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()

4 minutes ago, AndrewCam100 said:

Will give this a go when I get the chance

32 minutes ago, AndrewCam100 said:

I tried removing that Renasas card AND disabling the built in Asmedia 3.1 controller on the motherboard in the BIOS with no change. I have recorded some crude screen captures of what the system is doing when it boots up and will try to put them somewhere where you can see. I do know know that when it does boot loop on startup (which isn't 100% of the time), it always works on the 3rd try.

2 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

I tried removing that Renasas card AND disabling the built in Asmedia 3.1 controller on the motherboard in the BIOS with no change. I have recorded some crude screen captures of what the system is doing when it boots up and will try to put them somewhere where you can see. I do know know that when it does boot loop on startup (which isn't 100% of the time), it always works on the 3rd try.

Weird. I thought it was just a USB issue. Have you tried any other distros?

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()

8 minutes ago, AndrewCam100 said:

Weird. I thought it was just a USB issue. Have you tried any other distros?

Not yet, but I will do that next.

I have two ideas.

1. The next time you get in, update packages and everything with "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade". Also, update kernel and distro with "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", which should update everything.

2. To see if it is a GPU issue, which it could be, remove the GPU and use integrated graphics and see if that helps. If it does boot more consistently on integrated, then there is something wrong with the GPU and drivers for it.

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()

22 minutes ago, AndrewCam100 said:

I have two ideas.

1. The next time you get in, update packages and everything with "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade". Also, update kernel and distro with "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", which should update everything.

2. To see if it is a GPU issue, which it could be, remove the GPU and use integrated graphics and see if that helps. If it does boot more consistently on integrated, then there is something wrong with the GPU and drivers for it.

Already did step 1, I haven't tried step 2, but I have been experimenting with enabling the integrated graphics and dedicated at the same time to use with a Windows VM. I haven't read about any incompatibilities with 1060s and kernel 5.3.0 (which mint uses), and I was experiencing the issues before and after installing the nvidia proprietary drivers, so I'm not convinced this is a graphics issue. (I would try it, but I already wiped my broken install)

With that said, I just installed Linux Mint in CSM legacy mode instead of UEFI mode and I have been using it for the past hour, and I am yet to experience the issue even after many restarts. (I also tried reinstalling with UEFI, and the issues where still present) I'm not a big fan of using CSM for a computer I rely on, I would like to get UEFI working. I think next I'm going to try installing normal ubuntu in UEFI mode and see if the issues come back. If tehy do, I will try the GPU suggestion. Any other ideas?

Wait! Nevermind, it just restarted while using firefox...

I went to youtube.com, clicked sign in, typed in my email, and shut off as soon as I hit enter. No crash reports where generated and no critical errors where logged.

2 hours ago, PeterPorker3 said:

Wait! Nevermind, it just restarted while using firefox...

I went to youtube.com, clicked sign in, typed in my email, and shut off as soon as I hit enter. No crash reports where generated and no critical errors where logged.

I am out of ideas... I would love to help more, but nothing has come to mind.

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()

44 minutes ago, AndrewCam100 said:

I am out of ideas... I would love to help more, but nothing has come to mind.

Hmm, alright then. Thank you so much for your help!

Have you tried:

• uninstalling the nvidia driver?
  • a different hard drive?
  • a different sata port on the motherboard?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 6/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, Sauron said:

Have you tried:

• uninstalling the nvidia driver?
  • a different hard drive?
  • a different sata port on the motherboard?

Yep, tried all that and way more. Spent over a week troubleshooting this off and on. I continued this on Level1Tech's forums and me and some very helpful people concluded that it may be a weird BIOS bug that is causing this behavior. Because future BIOS updates for this old and unpopular board don't seem likely, I think I'm just going to upgrade to ryzen 3000 before switching to Linux, since I was considering doing that anyway.

1 hour ago, PeterPorker3 said:

I continued this on Level1Tech's forums and me and some very helpful people concluded that it is a weird BIOS bug that is causing this behavior.

That does seem to be the case, if you exclude everything else a motherboard bug is the most likely explanation - there's no shortage of those. With that said you can try checking the output of dmesg right after one such shutdown to see if there's some error that can be fixed.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 6/4/2020 at 5:52 PM, Sauron said:

That does seem to be the case, if you exclude everything else a motherboard bug is the most likely explanation - there's no shortage of those. With that said you can try checking the output of dmesg right after one such shutdown to see if there's some error that can be fixed.

Already did, nothing relevant. As far as the OS is aware, the shutdowns aren't happening. It's acting like it a sudden loss of power, but I have already verified the stability of the system in windows and swapped the power supply. The only thing I haven't excluded would be my CPU, RAM and mobo at this point, but I don't have any others on hand to test and if one of those are the issue than it probably wouldn't be an issue with the parts themselves, rather a compatibility issue with them and the motherboard. So if that's the real issue, a motherboard swap would have been nessisiary anyways, so I may as well move on unless theres a magical CPU or memory kit that hates linux somehow.

That is very weird. I never thought it would be a BIOS issue.

I was glad I could help troubleshoot this issue in some way!

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()