Technical/Server stuff aside is Linux worth it? ( Kinda roasting Linux )

Exaco

To answer you title; it depends.

For the majority of people, Linux just isn't worth it, just yet.

I prefer Linux over Windows and Mac OS for many tasks, but I also enjoy spending time to solve challenges I might get when doing stupid s**t I never should've.

But again, most people just want to open the laptop/tablet/desktop/phone and start using it, and while distrobutions might be at that stage right now, it still requires the user to actually install it, which is a barrier most people won't pass.

In the future, more computers might come pre-installed with some distrobution that just works out of the box, and that might be the actual rise of Linux on the desktop.

About all the stuff you listed, well, enough people already answered why those statements/issues are false or misleading, so I won't bother with it.

9 hours ago, Mortenrb said:

But again, most people just want to open the laptop/tablet/desktop/phone and start using it

That's also where Linux is pain in the ass, most people would come across alot of obstacles while trying to use Linux as daily driver. 
Well even if i had lots of trouble using Linux even i'm decent at computers then average PC user would simply give up on Linux.

The only OS that can do that imo is MacOS, because it's basically smartphone OS with a mouse and keyboard support on a desktop computer/laptop. I mean it's so basic that there's nothing to learn so it's very easy for users to sit and just use it.

10 hours ago, Exaco said:

That's also where Linux is pain in the ass, most people would come across alot of obstacles while trying to use Linux as daily driver. 

I have to, partly, disagree.

An average user wouldn't note much difference using Mac OS, Windows nor Linux, as all they will use is the office package and internet browser.. and if those are easily available, that's basically all there is to it.

If a computer comes pre-installed with Linux, the average user would just login and start browsing the web without diving any further.

The issue is if you wish to to other stuff with it, such as gaming, video/photo editing or mostly everything "above average" computer stuff on your PC, and don't like hacking around your system. Plus, not all industry-standard tools are available in Linux.

If you, however, are tech savvy and actually spend some time with Linux, you'll eventually figure out that a lot of stuff is easier or more convenient to do in Linux.

E.g. as a developer, I find Linux tools a lot more powerful and a lot easier to work with, than competing tools on Mac OS and Windows.

However, if it's your first time developing something, then it might be an easier route to start out with Mac OS and Windows.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:01 PM, Exaco said:

I know Linux outperforms Windows in tech stuff, servers etc, reliability/stability too

I disagree.

Write in C.