Intel i7 9700f CPU 100% usage most of the time

For the record, I've been working in IT for several years and have built well over 30 desktops and servers at both the consumer and corporate level. I recently put together an Intel i5 9600K build (see signature). As the i7 9700f went on sale I decided to purchase one for the extra cores and hopefully extra performance. Upon installation I had wiped my SSD and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 (with the most recent updates). First I noticed the PC was extremely slow to boot, especially since the OS is installed onto an SSD. Running chrome with only 1 tab was extremely slow and while scrolling, I'd experience screen tearing.

After starting HWmonitor and running Task Manager it turns out the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. Chrome takes up 56% cpu usage with 1 tab open. Windows Defender takes up 23% while idling, when it initiates a scan, it jumps to 80% and the machine locks up shortly after. With absolutely nothing else running besides background processes, I ran a CPUZ bench, and this is my result.

I ended up placing the i5 9600k back in, and the machine runs normal again. Any ideas what would cause a CPU to operate like this? First time I've ever seen this type of thing. Everything was at stock settings.

20200528_100645.jpg

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

That’s extremely weird. The base clock of the 9700F is 3GHz, which is starting to lag behind even some budget CPUs these days, but I wouldn’t blame it on that. You could have just recieved a faulty CPU, because I can’t think of any other common reason for that to be happening.

Forgot to mention, The cpu temps never exceed 51C. So I know the chip isn't thermal throttling.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

5 minutes ago, Cloaked said:

That’s extremely weird. The base clock of the 9700F is 3GHz, which is starting to lag behind even some budget CPUs these days, but I wouldn’t blame it on that. You could have just recieved a faulty CPU, because I can’t think of any other common reason for that to be happening.

Definitely strange. The base clock speed is lower however, it has a 4.7 turbo boost and 4.4 all core boost. Even if it was 3.0 it should perform better. I have an HP Z400 server with a Xeon E5640 (base clock of 2.66ghz) which can still run most modern titles at a smooth frame rate.

My thoughts was a faulty chip as well. It's just so strange, intel has always produced such great cpu's.

Well, there’s always a bad apple in the tree, as they say (I don’t know if they say that, I just made it up)

1 hour ago, Brent744 said:

Definitely strange. The base clock speed is lower however, it has a 4.7 turbo boost and 4.4 all core boost. Even if it was 3.0 it should perform better. I have an HP Z400 server with a Xeon E5640 (base clock of 2.66ghz) which can still run most modern titles at a smooth frame rate.

My thoughts was a faulty chip as well. It's just so strange, intel has always produced such great cpu's.

For anyone else who experiences this same issue. I have resolved the issue. After I reinstalled Windows 10 again, the second time around everything seems to function as it should. CPU now performs great and rarely reaches 100% usage. Maybe the first time around there was a corrupted system file? Maybe a corrupted boot drive? not exactly sure. I made a new Windows usb boot drive with the software on the Microsoft site, to ensure I had the latest version. Reinstalled, and everything's good to go.